Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley MK VI

Webley MK VI

I collected mine this afternoon from Aaron Wheeler gunsmiths in Brighouse. Very pleased. Possibly more pleased than is appropriate.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Binker View Post
    I collected mine this afternoon from Aaron Wheeler gunsmiths in Brighouse. Very pleased. Possibly more pleased than is appropriate.
    You like it then ?

Comments/feedback (or a short review) would be useful...when you take a breather from shooting

I would’ve posted this a few mins ago but the site booted me out and I lost it all hahaha. Copy and paste time…

First reactions OOTB are; Clean crisp metalworkNice black finish but time will tell on durability. It LOOKS the part and feels it too. All the actions and moving parts are deliberate and feel ‘constructed’, not ‘contrapted’.

The opening mechanism is smooth with the cylinder having a convincing lock open/closed position. The shell ejector rises slowly then fall flat to the cylinder head… no scrabbling for shells unintentionally scattered over the floor.

The markings are deep and crisp cut (maybe cast?) Webley MK VI patents 1915 and .455. A little sticker on the left of the barrel informed me that the power was 3 joules max. There is a small line of very pale white lettering, “.177 BBs” with the “F” kite mark.

The much discussed safety catch is tucked away discreetly under above the trigger on the right of the gun. Small and very easy to ignore.

I really enjoyed shooting with it in getting two inch groups (ish) at 10m in the first ten mins. Hoping that will improve. The fixed open sight on a 6” barrel seems to do the trick.

The grip frame/co2 housing is abs and seems robust enough and may have been a weight decision? I did note that my son was wanting to swing the barrel and cylinder back into place after loading, I don’t think so.

I expected the loading to be frustrating after semi-auto mags and speed loaders but surprisingly not. It gave me time to stare patriotically out at the horizon - I think.

I paid my money and I’m happy. Aaron Wheeler’s in Brighouse has a couple that are unspoken for at £199 and you won’t get better service.

I’m sure somebody qualified will be along to give more tech info soon.

Cheers Binker

Interesting...and in quick time. It is good that they have produced this replica of a Webley, the shell ejector and way the barrel breaks open seems rather unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Interesting...and in quick time. It is good that they have produced this replica of a Webley, the shell ejector and way the barrel breaks open seems rather unusual.
    A lot of it was looking for answers/confirmation of topics and comments on the Umerex Boys Club thread on the same subject so I can't claim any definitive knowledge but it knocks all the other shooting replicas I have into a cocked hat. Maybe I should've left my comments at that?

You're right when you say unusual - lots of variations though and apparently the real steel is becoming a collector's item in the US according to reviews and such. I'd been wondering if I'd done the right thing but the handling sorted that question very quickly.

Cheers Binker

Found the following link which includes photos/descriptions and lists the various films/tv programmes that portrayed Webley pistols, even down to the name of each actor...it goes back a long way.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Webley_Revolvers

I am told mine will arrive at RFD Friday.
    Shop was impressed with demo model and so was I when I handled one at Fultons Bisley.
    There has been a big response to this model with many pre ordered.
    Manufacturers will take note and I see that Umarex have a Colt Peacemaker due in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I am told mine will arrive at RFD Friday.
    Shop was impressed with demo model and so was I when I handled one at Fultons Bisley.
    There has been a big response to this model with many pre ordered.
    Manufacturers will take note and I see that Umarex have a Colt Peacemaker due in 2015.
    Mine is due in on Saturday........I'm like a kid waiting for Santa.
    The Peacemaker will surely be a best seller, as long as the quality is good.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mine is due in on Saturday........I'm like a kid waiting for Santa.
    The Peacemaker will surely be a best seller, as long as the quality is good.
    Pete.

I feel the same Due to collect mine tomorrow.

I wrote to Umarex USA about how the peacemaker was powered but have had no reply so can only assume that they haven't details yet, though I have this nasty little feeling that it isn't going to be CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Had 5 of these in .455 and .38 during the time I lived in South Africa. Carried them for self defence for a very short time as the .455 "Manstopper" hollow point had a good reputation. Found it quick to reload but a bit bulky. My friend had the famous Webley Fosbery automatic revolver, nice to shoot.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-11-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Large stock of Webleys arrived at our local RFD, TAL Shooting and Scuba in Christchurch.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Just got home from M.A.G. with mine. First impressions.....fantastic finish and build quality, a real handfull.
    Now off to the 'shed' for a plinking and chrono session........

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Just got home from M.A.G. with mine. First impressions.....fantastic finish and build quality, a real handfull.
    Now off to the 'shed' for a plinking and chrono session........

Pete.
    Very interested in the chrono results!

At first sight the rearsight with its inserted notch element looks a good deal higher than the original.

Presumably this is because the original big bullet rocked the piece back in early recoil as it ambled up the bore, making it necessary to angle the boreline downwards for normal aim - so the nearly-recoilless CO2 version has to bring the boreline up to compensate, and the only way to do that without making the foresight unrealistically low was to up the rearsight?

These look fun. Do you have to be a re-enactor or a registered collector or a member of some secret society or other to buy one?

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)