Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley MK VI

No -classed as an airgun.
    Power over toy level.
    If it was a toy you couldnt buy it without the secret handshake.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Picked mine up from BAR this afternoon, very impressed with it, i`m going chrono it using lead BBs tomorrow Gamo 4.5mm 8.18gr i wonder if you can get spare cartridges for it ?

Got mine yesterday from Protek Supplies.
    Great toy, just like the real thing, seems quite accurate. The chambers are shorter than on the outher Co2 revolvers so only the Webley cartridges will fit.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have modified 6 D.W. shells to fit the Webley. It's just a matter of shortening the rear ends of the DW nose cones so that they are the same dimensions as the Webley ones. It took me about 20 minutes on my small hobby lathe.
    In fact the modified DW shells shoot much tighter groups than the Webley shells.
    See my post on the subject in the UBC pistol section. ...... link.

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...6472&start=220

Pete.

testing,testing...

So, first co2 bulb in yesterday. In a cool workshop ( 9 deg.c ).
    First few 6 yard groups were pretty poor 2.5" -3" and velocity all over the place . First 6 shots went from 425 fps down to 382 fps. Several groups later......much the same. However...... I knew I would have problems from the off.
    I had great difficulty piercing the co2 bulb, so much so that I was worried I might strip the thread I had to tighten it so much. I knew from the velocity figures that the bulb had barely pierced, which always shows up with a rapid velocity drop between shots. In the end I unwound the bulb and dumped the remaining gas. Sure enough the hole in the bulb was the size of a needle tip. I was using Crosman co2 bulb.

Fresh start today. Umarex bulb in and pierced straight away no problem. Freezing cold and foggy outside, inside my workshop only 7 deg.c.
    First 6 yard group l.5" that's more like it. Second group 1.25"....... even better. Third and fourth group all about the 1.5" mark.
    Fps around the 395 - 405 fps mark in the cold atmosphere. It should see 425 fps on a warm day.
    At 10 yards ( I was standing outside shooting in to the workshop) I shot two groups of 2" -2.5" .
    Am I happy with my mk.6........oh yes.
    I will probably convert it to 6mm though in the near future as I much prefer that calibre for informal can bashing.

Pete.

I fancy trying it with a .22 barrel.
    I've just been putting a few pellets through mine - only one shell converted so far - and the accuracy is far better than with bbs, even with the smooth bore barrel.

Crosman capsules are harder to pierce Pete.
    Also shorter or longer cant remember which.
    Neck widths vary on different brands too.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    So, first co2 bulb in yesterday. In a cool workshop ( 9 deg.c ).
    First few 6 yard groups were pretty poor 2.5" -3" and velocity all over the place . First 6 shots went from 425 fps down to 382 fps. Several groups later......much the same. However...... I knew I would have problems from the off.
    I had great difficulty piercing the co2 bulb, so much so that I was worried I might strip the thread I had to tighten it so much. I knew from the velocity figures that the bulb had barely pierced, which always shows up with a rapid velocity drop between shots. In the end I unwound the bulb and dumped the remaining gas. Sure enough the hole in the bulb was the size of a needle tip. I was using Crosman co2 bulb.

Fresh start today. Umarex bulb in and pierced straight away no problem. Freezing cold and foggy outside, inside my workshop only 7 deg.c.
    First 6 yard group l.5" that's more like it. Second group 1.25"....... even better. Third and fourth group all about the 1.5" mark.
    Fps around the 395 - 405 fps mark in the cold atmosphere. It should see 425 fps on a warm day.
    At 10 yards ( I was standing outside shooting in to the workshop) I shot two groups of 2" -2.5" .
    Am I happy with my mk.6........oh yes.
    I will probably convert it to 6mm though in the near future as I much prefer that calibre for informal can bashing.

Pete.
    This is the first time i have bought a C02 pistol Webley MK V1, i used ASG capsules ,should you hear the CO2 venting when you pierce the bulb (mine did not ) it produced chrono readings from 319 fps to 333fps ( cold day) with Gamo 4.5mm 8.18 gr lead ball i have not put a lot through it,just wanted to check , newbie to CO2 shooting .. Gordon.

I have some pistols that let out no hiss whatsover - this is the best case, it means the seal is nice and supple and the piercing mechanism is working well.

Some pistols let out a bit of a hiss, depends on condition of the seal, piercing mechanism...and how quickly it is pierced.

Some pistols need a bit of help to prevent leakage when piercing the bulb.

Check out the previously mentioned fps mentioned in this thread, and bear in mind you are using a relatively heavy lead ball.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 09-11-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    This is the first time i have bought a C02 pistol Webley MK V1, i used ASG capsules ,should you hear the CO2 venting when you pierce the bulb (mine did not ) it produced chrono readings from 319 fps to 333fps ( cold day) with Gamo 4.5mm 8.18 gr lead ball i have not put a lot through it,just wanted to check , newbie to CO2 shooting .. Gordon.
    Asg capsules are fine. When piercing the co2 bulb most guns vent with an audible hiss and you just keep turning the screw until the hissing stops. I was surprised that my Webley mk.6 did not hiss but pierced silently.....this is unusual but most welcome as it wastes no gas.
    Your muzzle velocities sound about right for Gamo lead ball.
    My tests were done with Umarex steel bb which are a nominal 5 grains, hence the higher velocity.
    Gamo are not accurate at all in my pistol, in fact they are designed for guns with rifled barrels. The sizing of the Gamo bb are not very consistent in my experience so I do not use them. Gamo rlb are nominal .177 size, whereas steel bb are .175 .
    Most co2 powered bb guns are designed for steel bb so it is best to stick with them. Caveat....... some pistols will prefer lead bb's so try them by all means.
    Pete.

Thanks for the advice, iv`e just Googled the weights of Steel and lead BBs, a bit of a difference i had`nt realised. The lead BBs are a nice tight fit in the cartridge and i am using these so i can try the pistol at the range ( i hope) it deforms the lead balls quite well especially off a full bulb. Do you think as the fps drops there would be a problem with ricochets ? Regards Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Asg capsules are fine. When piercing the co2 bulb most guns vent with an audible hiss and you just keep turning the screw until the hissing stops. I was surprised that my Webley mk.6 did not hiss but pierced silently.....this is unusual but most welcome as it wastes no gas.
    Your muzzle velocities sound about right for Gamo lead ball.
    My tests were done with Umarex steel bb which are a nominal 5 grains, hence the higher velocity.
    Gamo are not accurate at all in my pistol, in fact they are designed for guns with rifled barrels. The sizing of the Gamo bb are not very consistent in my experience so I do not use them. Gamo rlb are nominal .177 size, whereas steel bb are .175 .
    Most co2 powered bb guns are designed for steel bb so it is best to stick with them. Caveat....... some pistols will prefer lead bb's so try them by all means.
    Pete.
    Thanks Pete, i have just replied to another post explaining why i am using lead... see above reply, Thanks again i`m learning

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Thanks for the advice, iv`e just Googled the weights of Steel and lead BBs, a bit of a difference i had`nt realised. The lead BBs are a nice tight fit in the cartridge and i am using these so i can try the pistol at the range ( i hope) it deforms the lead balls quite well especially off a full bulb. Do you think as the fps drops there would be a problem with ricochets ? Regards Gordon.
    Sure, as the gas runs low, fps drops and richochets/rebounds more likely.

Not sure how much the lead ball costs, presumably quite a bit more than steel bbs, which are inexpensive....so that makes up for all the CO2 that you are going to use

Gamo 4.5mm £4.49 x 500. Looks like i will be using steel, i`m ok at home iv`e got 12yds into my shed, wait till my wife goes off to Bingo then there`s only me to be hit with any rick o shea`s

plastic....?

Someone mentioned that some parts of the Webley mk.6 were plastic ( namely the stirrup catch and the grip frame).
    Well I can state quite categorecally that those parts are all metal. The only plastic on it are the grip panels.
    I have tested the parts by scratching the surface ( in an unseen area), and the pistol is all metal as expected.

The lengths I go to in the interest of science.!

Pete.