Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short stroked MK 1 TX200.

Short stroked MK 1 TX200.

Yesterday at Atherton indoor range one of the shooters had a short stroked Mk 1 in 177.

The bluing had become tatty over time, and the previous owner had polished it down to the bare metal. It looked very nice. He had also short stroked it and done some other things to the internals, as well as fit a Rowan Engineering adjustable trigger - the post and shoe job.

The new owner was kind enough to let me take a few shots with it.

I was amazed. The lock time was extremely fast and gun hardly moved at all. The Rowan trigger was superb and set up to break like glass. I didn't shoot it long enough to assess accuracy in any meaningful way but it knocked down whatever I pointed it at. It was so smooth to shoot however that ,even in the unlikely event of it being no more accurate for all the work that had gone into it than an unfettled Mk 1, I would buy one like it tomorrow if I could.

I love my Walther LGU, but this TX put it to shame.

I had never heard of a Mk1 being short stroked before. Does this come as a surprise to anyone else?

The TX is now at the top of my list for next gun to buy. I'll probably have to settle for a MK3, but I will then find someone to try and get it something like the Mk1 I shot. I will also get a Rowan trigger for it when funds allow. It was a revelation.
    Last edited by Arthur John Smithsplease; 20-11-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Yesterday at Atherton indoor range one of the shooters had a short stroked Mk 1 in 177.

The bluing had become tatty over time, and the previous owner had polished it down to the bare metal. It looked very nice. He had also short stroked it and done some other things to the internals, as well as fit a Rowan Engineering adjustable trigger - the post and shoe job.

The new owner was kind enough to let me take a few shots with it.

I was amazed. The lock time was extremely fast and gun hardly moved at all. The Rowan trigger was superb and set up to break like glass. I didn't shoot it long enough to assess accuracy in any meaningful way but it knocked down whatever I pointed it at. It was so smooth to shoot however that ,even in the unlikely event of it being no more accurate for all the work that had gone into it than an unfettled Mk 1, I would buy one like it tomorrow if I could.

I love my Walther LGU, but this TX put it to shame.

I had never heard of a Mk1 being short stroked before. Does this come as a surprise to anyone else.

The TX is now at the top of my list for next gun to buy. I'll probably have to settle for a MK3, but I will then find someone to try and get it something like the Mk1 I shot. I will also get a Rowan trigger for it when funds allow. It was a revelation.

A standard mk3 wont feel anything like a short stroked mk1. I suggest you either buy a mk1 or 2 with the shorter stroke, or get a mk3 and do it yourself. There is a wealth of information on here, Jon Budd would be the first person I'd ask

Thanks for the reply, but this was a Mk1 (ie. already short stroked) which had been short stroked further. I have never heard of this being done before.
    Arthur

Tx200 mk1

Must agree they shoot amazing. Not long had mine back from VMACH and just had a service but had the match trigger conversion done on mine. Puts my lazaglide 77's to shame being much nicer to shoot. The trigger is wonderful due to the fact the MK1's are a copy of the famous Mach 1 trigger. Rikard did a good thread on here about the two triggers awhile ago.

If you do find a TX200 MK1 for sale....BUY IT.

Mach 1.5

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    I think you may be referring to my old gun. The new owner (Rick) is a very good friend of mine and I still regret selling it to him.

The gun has not actually been short stroked it is a standard Mk1 that has a shorter stroke from the factory than the MK3 guns. It is currently running a Vortek O-ring piston seal and aside froma bit of a polish (internal and external) it is pretty standard.

Thanks for putting me straight Captain.

What a superb shooter.

How could you?
    Arthur

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Hello Arthus ... I think if you asked Wonky Donky or perhaps bigtoe01, one of them would be able to re-engineer (that term covers the kind of tunes they do) your Walther LGU to match the performance of the TX you shot. Might save you some time hunting one of the old Mk 1's down ...

Then you could save some money and spend the extra on an HW80....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Absolutely no reason an LGU couldn't be setup to shoot like a MK1 TX.. just chop 6mm off the stroke, open the port a bit, lighten the piston a bit, job done

Incidentally the whole TX doesn't need to be a MK1, just the piston (which is what defines the stroke) - and the MK1 and 2 are the same piston/stroke.

HTH - JB

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Hello Arthus ... I think if you asked Wonky Donky or perhaps bigtoe01, one of them would be able to re-engineer (that term covers the kind of tunes they do) your Walther LGU to match the performance of the TX you shot. Might save you some time hunting one of the old Mk 1's down ...

True.

But then I'd have to get them to sort out the 80.
    Arthur

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Hang on, this isn't Alistair.........He'd be recommending you buy an HW35.

Ban this imposter.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Last week I picked up a brand new Mk3 TX Beech, this is a rifle not the HC which I hate. I did not even shoot 1 pellet thru it, not interested in how AA set them up. Monday night /Tuesday morning (started at 11PM and worked till after midnight as only time i had away from work) I machined up a new piston based off new LGU piston and seal, set weight down to 204g with tophat and seal installed, shortened the transfer port down 3mm and washed the grease out the trigger. Following day I set the trigger and lubed it, rebuilt the gun with an LGU spring and was surprised to see 13fpe and next to no action movement on firing, the last one I did had a piston weight of 225g and that felt awesome so was surprised this one felt as good if not better. So, spring out, new custom spring in onto same guides and the result is an average FPS of 770 with exacts, bang on 11fpe.

I will probably sell the new piston, spring, piston weight and guide that came with the gun, i have no use for them, although i have one of Daves piston noses here so I may machine it up and let someone have a nice 80mm stroke set up with a new HW seal

Anyway....my search is now done, I have tuned the Diana 440, awesome gun, many 77's and 97's, again awesome rifles, the LGU...well thats a work in progress still...this TX is just incredible. It cocks like a .22 doing 9fpe, it shoots like a HW99 in German 6fpe spec LOL...I could not miss with it.

If you want a go, come to the new Dukinfeld AGC (Chaderton) next Thursday and you can have a shoot with it...im as smitten with this one as I am with the one I did for Chris (which a few have shot at the boinger bash). The stroke is not overly short, its dead easy to cock (important to me) and its VERY accurate.The super light weight piston with shorter stroke set ups may have the edge on mine for shot cycle movement but for all round ease of use i think this spec I have for the TX is bang on..I could push 1000 pellets thru this in a day easy and still be able to quaff pints using my cocking arm that night

The ONLY thing I am going to do now is polish the trigger sears, the trigger is good, but could be that little bit better
    Last edited by bigtoe01; 21-11-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hang on, this isn't Alistair.........He'd be recommending you buy an HW35.

Ban this imposter.

Pete
    An HW35 is an HW80 for the UK market, but with the advantage of the slick barrel lock and less of a chance of numpties jamming a 5 megaton Ox spring inside...

An HW35 is an HW80 for the UK market, but with the advantage of the slick barrel lock and less of a chance of numpties jamming a 5 megaton Ox spring inside...
    To make an 80 really shoot nice with a 30mm diameter piston you do two things, 1 shorten the stroke, 2 lighten the piston...so essentially you do make it into a hw35

The LGU is undoubtedly a well made gun with great potential for tuning.

Not sure its trigger could be made to perform like a Rekord or AA unit though.
    Arthur

Where you been all this time Arthur, done mine in June 1994 and showed Venom which later came out with the Ultraglide.

Proper adjustable set back trigger not just a bolt on blade, polished up to 99% mirror and blacked at BSA around 97 to show standard.