Thread: Bsf 55

Bsf 55

In line with my slow methodical pace of overhauling some of my springers I finally started to degrease and clean up the above to give it an overhaul (it's been apart 4-5 years). I must say that the design and construction of the BSF is good though I think the standard of finish of some of the components leave a bit to be desired. The piston is not the best by a long chalk.

The leather washer was (predictably) extremely tight in the cylinder and it did cross my mind to put a chain on it and tow it out with the car but I eventually got it out. Yet another example why I dislike leather washers (but respect the need for originality for pristine guns). The grease was almost glued onto the inide of the gun. To be fair it has probably been these since flared trousers were in fashion.

Its funny how things slip your mind with the passing of years. I had forgotten the BSF has an upward slope to the transfer port (not sure if all the range has these)? A little disconcerting was the piece of metal swarf that I found inside the piston. I have the spring around here somewhere and am wondering if a splinter or the such has come off the compression end of it. Thankfully the cylinder looks un-harmed.

I bought this example cheap off here some years ago with the knowledge that the trigger spring was missing. I seem to recall looking at one of my '54s and recalling how the spring looked like the type you used to secure a kids terry nappy with? Am I right? Does anyone know for a source of these or would it be a case of adapting one of the "nappy" types

In a way I am sometimes comforted by the fact that a gun appears to be in poor health upon disassembly. As long as there are not scoring of cylinders and anything really nasty you can always feel confident that by giving it a service you will have it shooting one hell of a lot better than before it was stripped down.

Dave

Bsf

Hi Dave,
    I have just managed to get my BSF S70 trigger fixed, there is a thread on here somewhere with some pictures. You need a good safety pin, of size just under an inch, cut the safety off it and bend the shanks to shape. Mine works perfectly now. There was a guy selling a boxload of parts on here for them, I asked to buy them for us all,(got no response) but someone else did and I am not sure if they actually got the goods.

For info its a bit hard to fathom but when you are ready,lay the rifle on its LHS and the spring mounts on the side facing you.
    Good luck.

The armourer
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.