Thread: Contemporary Oil for Valvespout Oil Can

Contemporary Oil for Valvespout Oil Can

One for Eddie or another engineer...

What modern oil would you recommend to fill a 1930s Parker Hale Valevespout oil bottle? I'd like the oil to look yellowy/brown and as contemporary as possible. I intend to use it for general lubrication and don't want it to harm leather washers but preserve them.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    One for Eddie or another engineer...

What modern oil would you recommend to fill a 1930s Parker Hale Valevespout oil bottle? I'd like the oil to look yellowy/brown and as contemporary as possible. I intend to use it for general lubrication and don't want it to harm leather washers but preserve them.

Kind regards,

John

Hello,

Try 3 in 1 and linseed oil.

Sam

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I would not advise using any mixture containing linseed oil as it is classed as a drying oil - that is, one that solidifies with time and so can cause gunk formation. Some early 1900's recipes for fine machine oils I have seen have been based on mixtures of mineral oil and good quality neats foot oil.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi John, why not try Parker Hale express gun oil...not sure of the colour but would be suitable and fairly cheap. The alternative is a straight 30 engine oil by Morris (Golden Film), or Silkolene (Chatsworth) but these are only available in units of one litre or more, so expensive unless you know someone who has vintage cars / bikes maybe?

ATB, Ed

Youngs "303" seems to have never changed and been around forever it seems. Everyone used it for everything, including making aquaoil. Right smell too. Can't be far off what you want.

If you want some SAE 30, I have several gallons of it.

Thanks all,

I think PH Express oil should fit the bill for what I need.

Kind regards,

John