Thread: HFT course setting

HFT course setting

what are the rules as to the setting out and shooting of HFT courses ,
    can you shoot a course you have set out?, fair or unfair?
    can't see any rules on it?
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44

I think it's fair, especially when its a small club and a small number of people set up the course every time.

Don't think you would get too many people setting up if they couldn't shoot, I can never remember the ranges on most targets anyway let alone knock them down

At our clubs outdoor range (Rivington Riflemen) its not necessarily the ranges thats the problem. The wind can change intensity and direction from the time you pull the trigger till the time it takes the pellet to reach the target.
    I think it very unfair to ask the people who have done all the work setting out the targets not to shoot the course.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Its funny how course setters say they can't remember ranges but as as soon as you question a particular target they suddenly remember how far it is to the inch.
    All joking aside ,who would want to set a course and not be able to shoot it? Not many.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

I have set quite a few courses particularly for AGF meets. I think it's right that I shoot them after all the effort but my scores don't count. I accept this when I take on the responsibility of building the course. If assisting with a course I always hold the start of the measuring tape so I am unaware of the yardage.

As an idea, rather than actually tape measure the distance, would it be OK to carry two string lines with you when setting out, one for the minimum distance and another for the maximum distance permitted for that particular target, and just make sure it was placed beyond the short string and not as far as the end of the long one. Then nobody would know "to the inch" the range.

Just a thought.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As an idea, rather than actually tape measure the distance, would it be OK to carry two string lines with you when setting out, one for the minimum distance and another for the maximum distance permitted for that particular target, and just make sure it was placed beyond the short string and not as far as the end of the long one. Then nobody would know "to the inch" the range.

Just a thought.
    That's basically how I set my personal range up. Black tape markers on my measuring tape that act as inner & outer markers. Some shooters will enquire as to the exact yardage at the end of a competition shoot so it's wise to know this in advance (to the inch).

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    As you asked for the rules, here's a link that may help
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

each one; do one

At our club, each shooter is assigned a lane to set up. It was a little daunting when we were new to FT but now things go quickly. We do not measure distance before the shoot, and the only ones that are called into question are the close ones.

I like to set up a lane with buffalos, we have three targets and about 20 fou targets with no KZs. the result in a herd on a far away hill

Ron
    http://idahoairguns.blogspot.com/

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Just a thought.
    Even better Rich,.......one string, with say a piece of black tape at 8yds and another piece of red tape at 45yds.
    Make sure the targets are within the black and red tape.

You are now getting slightly close to UkaHft target specs(see the UkaHft website for even more rules!)

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!