Thread: Airsporter built to a price ?

Airsporter built to a price ?

Just worked on two Airsporters today. The one was boxed and had one owner since 1957, a quality built rifle. The second one is more modern and I could not believe how different the quality of manufacture is, especially around the cocking mechanism design and parts. I am not an expert on the history of BSA, but at some stage it looks like they were cutting cost of manufacture of the Airsporter quite a bit. Any idea when the second one was produced ? Also is there any value to the full tin of Webley pellets that came with the old rifle?

Thanks, Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Totally agree with regards to the later build quality of the Airsporter. The early ones were sleek and built like the proverbial out house were as the later ones ......

If you post the serial number prefix one of the many gentleman on here will be able to tell you exactly when if was made, by who and what he had for lunch. (An hour like anyone else.)
    Same with the Webley tin - what street it was (or should have been) made on and when.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Look on Google, I found a site the first two letters before the serial number will tell the year eg GL is 1979.

edbear2 Guest
    The MK1 Airsporter was built very much like the prewar guns, with a one piece forged / drawn heavy barrel and integral breech area..A serious lump of metal, with a hand lapped loading tap. They started with the cost cutting (production streamlining) with the MK2, which had a parallel barrel brazed into the separate breech forging, and a rubbish (IMHO) rearsight in comparison to the MK1.

It all went downhill after that, with nasty diecast bits, rubbish taps and the like and even plastic sights which snapped if you looked at them funny, or dialled in a minute of a degree too much elevation

They did do better on the "S" guns, with walnut stocks and metal sights (still diecast though!), but until the RB guns arrived, I think they lost their way a bit...Not to say I have not shot and worked on some good shooting later tap loaders, but when you do work on them the quality is poor compared to the original.

The Webley tin, if full and sealed, maybe £30-40+, if full with original pellets, £25 or so, if full with something else less still. It looks a little bit dirty and rusty in the pic.

Prices vary a lot at auction (I am valuing on bay prices) so anything can happen, They have gone (your style) for as little as £2 for a rough one, to £48 for a very clean one in the last 6 months...You can get a better idea by searching on that site for "Webley pellet tin" and then on the left of page "sold listings".

Lots of this period of tin about, so worth less than the earlier tin (which Ian alluded to) which has "Weaman Street" printed on the top and so is pre 1958 or so. It is a collector's thing as people either want every incarnation of a particular tin, or a tin that is period with a gun to put in a case / display with a gun, so obviously if you have a Webley service, you want the Weaman tin to be in keeping period wise with your rifle

Put up a good clear close up of the pellets and I and others can tell you if they are Webley ones

HTH,
    ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 11-11-2014 at 06:48 PM.

I'd be interested in seeing the box for the early Airsporter if you have a pic or two?

Ed is spot on with his response.

Kind regards,

John

The Mk1 is in lovely condition and very clear etching......

The other looks like a mk 6 to me with the scew down sight as opposed to the pin fixing earlier ones that broke as described.
    I think Arthur Wright on B shift made it just after eating a pork pie and pickled onion for lunch on a wednesday.

Ok I made the last bit up!
    BASC

Here are pics of pellets, the tin is not rusty. I will get numbers off the rifles tomorrow as they are locked away at the moment.

Baz

I'm very pleased with my late '60's Mk 4 Air-sporter - but the quality compared to my 1961 Mk 3 Webley...Had them both out for a plink this afternoon. & the feel of the tap & trigger on the earlier rifle is so much better.
    Part of the great decline of British engineering over the period, I guess. My worst ever gun was a Webley Mk 2 Hawk, purchased nearly new in the '70's. The early Hurricane I have is much better made, though.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Here are pics of pellets, the tin is not rusty. I will get numbers off the rifles tomorrow as they are locked away at the moment.

Baz

They look like Webley pellets to my untrained eye.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    They look like Webley pellets to my untrained eye.
    As Ian says, they look right for 1960's and a bit later, I have just opened a few tins and some (earlier .22's especially) have a clear un-ribbed area at the skirt like these (sealed tin which I opened ages ago);

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57607964699940

But later 60's oblong tins (one .177, one a .22 with temporary .177 sticker) I tried had two different pellet types, both identical in shape / length etc., but one looked just like yours, and the others had a slight clear area at the skirt.

Nothing sinister, I expect different batches and dies came and went over the years (I am pretty sure Webley would have bought in pellets from Kynock or one of the quality makers, not made them in house).

There are at least 8 different Wasp pellets in .177 over the years in shape and style!

It's sometimes a pain to say categorically that pellets are original (seems unimportant, but when you think rare early types change hands for £250 on occasion) but it can really matter when people are spending a lot of money!

If you see loads, you spot wrong ones pretty quickly, and unfortunately people will try to fill an empty tin with something cheap (new .22 wasps in old tins) to make a quick profit, maybe only £10-15, hardly seems worth it, but it does happen

A bigger picture would be better, but they look "right" to me

ATB, Ed

Here are pics of box as requested. The serial number on this one is GB11687, could not find number on the newer Airsporter so it must be under the stock somewhere. The guy who owns the nice boxed one wants to sell it but does not know what to ask.

Baz

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Here are pics of box as requested. The serial number on this one is GB11687, could not find number on the newer Airsporter so it must be under the stock somewhere. The guy who owns the nice boxed one wants to sell it but does not know what to ask.

Baz

NICE!.......You need to get several good pics of the Airsporter up to show it better, but I would say high 200's or ever a bit more if the gun is minty, box is complete and the tape can be removed O.K., very few survive!

I paid 260 for this one a while back;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57631792288954

As you can see, very clean and hardly used, but opinions from some collectors were that I had way paid too much, others thought that was about right as they just don't turn up often in this condition, and after all it's only 80 odd quid more than an average one!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    NICE!.......You need to get several good pics of the Airsporter up to show it better, but I would say high 200's or ever a bit more if the gun is minty, box is complete and the tape can be removed O.K., very few survive!

I paid 260 for this one a while back;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57631792288954

As you can see, very clean and hardly used, but opinions from some collectors were that I had way paid too much, others thought that was about right as they just don't turn up often in this condition, and after all it's only 80 odd quid more than an average one!

ATB, Ed
    Bargain! Ive seen the square foresight hoods alone go for £30.

Ed, your Airsporter is the best I have seen. I always think people are short sighted not to pay an extra few quid to buy a good example, money is replaceable but extra fine condition is hard to find. I will get the rifle back from the guy when I can and upload some better photos.

Baz