Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Premier or Senior?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Must say I have had better results from Premiers than Seniors, which I tend to put down to the adjustable trigger over the Senior's rather creepy one. I like all Webleys though and one particularly pleasant Senior to use is the 4 pin model, which had that elusive adjustable trigger. That shoots better than any of my later Seniors but the stirrup catch can rub the base of my thumb after prolonged use. Probably why I favour the Mark II Target Model as my personal favourite.

I have to finish with a caveat in that the niggles I mention are of a very minor nature and I have long had a passion for all spring Webley air pistols. The real answer then to the original question is to own both a Senior and Premier, then shoot whichever takes your fancy on a particular day.

John
    Nicely put.

I forgot to say that I too have that passion - despite my contentions to the contrary you would have to prise my Senior(s) from my cold dead hands!

We really need to be able to put pictures in this forum!

This is now my only 'Senior' -

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Nicely put.

I forgot to say that I too have that passion - despite my contentions to the contrary you would have to prise my Senior(s) from my cold dead hands!
    I couldn't agree more Paul

John

[QUOTE=The real answer then to the original question is to own both a Senior and Premier, then shoot whichever takes your fancy on a particular day.

John[/QUOTE]

That I like...& Christmas is drawing near...
    Thanks for the helpful info from all the replies.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Senior improved trigger

The trigger action on my 40's Senior appeared rough and heavy, despite molycoddling that vertical sear. Before I was to smooth the inside, where it interacts with the trigger (this first type in my Senior is a rather crude forging with just the outsides ground) I was able to replace it with the second type of the mid-50's, that has a polished pin to engage with the trigger. Problems gone in an instant, although the design is inferior to that of the Mk1/Premier and this trigger now has a longish, albeit smooth creep. But then, Webley pistols are mainly sentiment to me, so I just enjoy the incredible quality and aura of the Senior the better shooting Tempest simply does not have.
    If an early Premier would have been on my path before I bought the Senior, I might have stuck with that classic model though, as that too has the qualities I like and I do limit myself to just three models.

Regards,
    Mike Meijer

Grave goods?

Nicely put.

I'm taking mine with me when I go
    Cheers,
    Glyn

I have just checked my 'B' series Premier and it has 'Oil' on the cylinder, does that mean it has a metal piston ring like the Senior or a leather washer, Never had it apart to look....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have just checked my 'B' series Premier and it has 'Oil' on the cylinder, does that mean it has a metal piston ring like the Senior or a leather washer, Never had it apart to look....
    Hi Mark,

It's my understanding that the 'B' series Premier saw the introduction of a PTFE piston washer to replace the leather one used on the 'A' series. Some of the earlier 'B' series pistols still carried the 'Oil' stamping on the side of the cylinder although this instruction was considered to be no longer applicable.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 19-11-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Thumbs up

Nicely put.

There is every chance that a queue is forming now Paul

I like my Webleys, every one. They're certainly don't have refined triggers like modern air pistols but they're not; are they?
    For me the attraction is nostalgic and tactile.
    I say buy what you wish and then make a choice if you still have a mind to

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Bru, I'd say buy niether. If you have a hankering for a Webley I have a nice post war Mk1 for sale with a very straight barrel.
    As you say, Christmas is coming..go on, you know you deserve it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Bru, I'd say buy niether. If you have a hankering for a Webley I have a nice post war Mk1 for sale with a very straight barrel.
    As you say, Christmas is coming..go on, you know you deserve it.
    Is that a particular selling point?

Easy solved

I have had a Premier in .22 from new. Its a solid reliable unit although take care with trigger adjustment as its easy to get it too light and dangerous. The senior I just treat as different model and both a joy to own as both are quality units and neither would disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Is that a particular selling point?
    Well, he said his previous Mk1 was "banana barreled", so I thought this one would be a step up.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Banana barreled Mk 1

Indeed, it was, not apparently an uncommon fault some on Webley pistols in .22 - there was a thread about it a while back. Think it was due to the .22's having less metal about the bore.
    HM - I'm tempted by the Mk1, I must admit - but also by a Senior & a Mk 2 Airsporter offered. I will have to have a serious think before December!
    Incidentally, had a really fun plink with your old Diana 25 & my Junior rifle this arvo.
    I'm finding shooting with the older stuff much more fun than the clinical efficiency of the Weihrauch.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

There you go. Quality goods from a known vendor
    Get 'em while they're 'ot.