Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate Gat-type pistols as collectables?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

How do you rate Gat-type pistols as collectables?

Over the years, and in most cases without really putting my mind to it, I have managed to collect more than about 50 different gat-type, (push-barrel, pop-out) pistols. A few were hard to find, like the late 1800’s models made by Eisenwerke Gaggenau, and the pre-1930’s British push-barrels from Frank Clarke, Lincoln Jeffries, and Edwin Anson, but most were just bought on the spur of the moment at arms fairs and boot sales. I personally like these toy-like guns, even though they are a far cry from the serious target air pistols that attract the most attention from collectors, and I was wondering if I was in the minority in this respect.

Does anyone else collect these humble guns, and if so, what sort of collection do you have and why do you collect them? On the other hand you might despise these “gats” as just toys and not worth the space they take up in your cupboard, and your opinion would be of equal interest. It would be nice to get an impression of the overall collectability status of these guns these days.

I have a chrome one in my collection, because I had one as a kid, but back then it was only a black one, got it from Solihull fair for a Fiver a couple of years ago, always brings back memories when i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Over the years, and in most cases without really putting my mind to it, I have managed to collect more than about 50 different gat-type, (push-barrel, pop-out) pistols. A few were hard to find, like the late 1800’s models made by Eisenwerke Gaggenau, and the pre-1930’s British push-barrels from Frank Clarke, Lincoln Jeffries, and Edwin Anson, but most were just bought on the spur of the moment at arms fairs and boot sales. I personally like these toy-like guns, even though they are a far cry from the serious target air pistols that attract the most attention from collectors, and I was wondering if I was in the minority in this respect.

Does anyone else collect these humble guns, and if so, what sort of collection do you have and why do you collect them? On the other hand you might despise these “gats” as just toys and not worth the space they take up in your cupboard, and your opinion would be of equal interest. It would be nice to get an impression of the overall collectability status of these guns these days.
    I can't say they've ever really appealed to me as collectables, John, I think mainly because my youthful experiences with a Gat were so miserable, and the accuracy of the guns I moved on to was so superior (even in cheap airguns) that I never looked back!

But I can see why they might be very collectable, especially the older EG type pop-outs and the rest.

I have just one, a Diana 1930s tinplate, which I bought on here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

It's a bit like collecting stamps, some people go for specifics, let's say european countries, but then might add in a few from elsewhere because they just like the colours!
    I have, like many on here, a Gat from my yoof, then I saw that Harrington had produced a 'rifle', so when one came along at a can't pass price, I had to have it.
    Now my first one was chrome, I have a black one...right place, right price......you know what will happen if a chrome one 'pops out' (sorry).

Then I was offered a cheap Phoenix G50 .177, soon after, I saw that harder to come by was the G60, as far as is known, the only .22 Gat. So I got one.

Now being into Webley's I just had to have a boxed Gnat, I mean it's rude not to. And the holy grail of Gats and webleys, might just turn out to be the Junior G50.
    Quite possibly a myth...unless you know better?

I look upon it as a sort of side branch but none the less a very interesting one. I may even indulge again soon.
    Carl.

I like some of the early forged steel pistols such as the Lincoln Scout and the Briton, but don't have too much interest in the later pressed steel examples. It has to be said though, that they were never intended for the high end of the market so I guess we shouldn't expect too much.

Regards

Brian

Don't have many

but I find them a fascinating group of air guns. Gats were a very important part of my early life.....

Have to say I agree with the previous poster, still have mine, bought on holiday in 1978 to Weymouth. still used and enjoyed. Yes there basic, but there are an important part of airgun history.

I have a fair mix of air pistols in my collection which I base on what is of interest to me, from the point of view of
    mechanism,make, method of cocking/loading etc.

So it follows that I should have pistols of this type, a modern Harrington gat in box with the trimmings together
    with a boxed Diana mod.2 and two others one blued one chrome and a British cub.

I rate them as an important part of our airgun history and development.

In fact there is a book which I have on these pistols simply entitled 'Gats' a guide to junior push in - pop out airguns by Malcolm Atkins, a great little book full of useful information.

Whilst I wouldn't actively seek out these pistols if I were to come across an interesting example I would probably acquire it.

Chris.

Further to my previous post. I really shouldn't rely on my memory!

On checking I find that I have a further Diana mod 2 for 1951 blued, and this one has
    a serial number neatly stamped into the frame on the left hand side just above the grip.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    Further to my previous post. I really shouldn't rely on my memory!

On checking I find that I have a further Diana mod 2 for 1951 blued, and this one has
    a serial number neatly stamped into the frame on the left hand side just above the grip.

Chris.
    This intrigues me as I have never heard of a Diana 2 (or any other push-barrel come to that) with a serial number stamping. Is it a German Diana 2 or a Milbro Diana 2? Any chance of a picture ?

Thanks
    John

John,
    I have sent two pics to your email as I haven't mastered posting pics here!

Please feel free to put up here if you wish. The pistol is numbered 058927 and is
    blued and dated for either 3 or 5 (indistinct, but one or 'tother) 51 the top bares
    the Diana huntress and DIANA Mod 2 British Made, light wood grip.

My boxed example is marked British Made for 4 54 blued, dark wood grip.

Plated model is for 4 50 presumably British made because of the date but there is no origin, just DIANA Mod 2 light wood grip.

My other example is for 12 64 and says Made in Great Britain, dark wood grip.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    John,
    I have sent two pics to your email as I haven't mastered posting pics here!

Please feel free to put up here if you wish. The pistol is numbered 058927 and is
    blued and dated for either 3 or 5 (indistinct, but one or 'tother) 51 the top bares
    the Diana huntress and DIANA Mod 2 British Made, light wood grip.

My boxed example is marked British Made for 4 54 blued, dark wood grip.

Plated model is for 4 50 presumably British made because of the date but there is no origin, just DIANA Mod 2 light wood grip.

My other example is for 12 64 and says Made in Great Britain, dark wood grip.

Chris.

Many thanks for the pics Chris. I think these are so interesting and raise so many questions that they deserve a thread of their own.

Meanwhile, does anybody else have comments to make about the collectability or otherwise of push-barrel pistols?

I have a soft spot for push in barrel pistols as a chrome plated Harrington GAT was my first ever airgun. I had many years of joy from that pistol and have always had a push in barrel pistol lurking in the collection somewhere.

Some variations certainly attract interest, so yes there is room for them as collectables. There was a boxed Britannia air pistol at the last Bisley Arms Fair priced at over £300. A boxed Lincoln Scout with paperwork was similarly priced at the Phoenix Fair earlier this year.

Kind regards,

John

There is a place for them in a collection, as l think most of us started out with or had one at sometime in their life, and they have been made for well over a 100 years and they have stood the test of time which is more than can be said for some guns. l have about 20 different ones.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    I have, like many on here, a Gat from my yoof, then I saw that Harrington had produced a 'rifle', so when one came along at a can't pass price, I had to have it.
    Carl.

Here's mine @ a recent UkHft comp!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!