Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you rate Gat-type pistols as collectables?

Quite a few on sale

Several pop-outs for sale at Kranks at the moment, I see. Not cheap though.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...ort=20a&page=2

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...ort=20a&page=1
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Several pop-outs for sale at Kranks at the moment, I see. Not cheap though.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...ort=20a&page=2

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...ort=20a&page=1
    I think the Garanta he has on offer must be one of the most overpriced push-barrel pistols I have seen. Yes they are rare, and it took me a long time to find one, but they are only just a differently marked version of the common pressed steel Briton. It has been on sale for a long time now with no sign of a price drop and at this price will probably stay on sale for a long time to come.

Some sort of conclusion?

I started this thread to get some indication of how popular gat-type air pistols were as collectables among our forum members, and after 386 views and 16 replies I think I can now reach some sort of conclusion. I get the overall impression that few members regard these as serious items to collect, and most of those that have examples in their collection do so for nostalgic reasons, or because they came across a bargain. In a way this is a pity, as these are true air guns, and have a long history dating back to Quackenbush’s invention of the design in 1876. An example of one of these first guns would be worth a small fortune. I estimate that about 70 different gat-type pistols have been produced worldwide since that first gun, most in the last 70 years (this includes variants of models, such as nickelled versions, rebranded versions etc.), so there is plenty to go for. I think I will continue to look hard for the few I haven’t yet located, and hopefully if they remain unfashionable the prices will stay very affordable.

Incidentally, what I think is the only known advert for the Frank Clarke Whittall air pistol has come my way http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps88800fbd.jpg
    This was the first British push-barrel, and was introduced in 1919, predating the first model Briton by six years. http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...larke+Whittall
    Now finding one of these chunky items would be quite a challenge!

I personally think that they are a very, very important part of air pistol history and therefore very collectable items.

I have quite a few and I am currently deciding what to cull from my collection, the 'pop outs' will NOT be culled.

They ain't a 'toy' either, anything that can chuck a bit of lead with enough energy to blind is not a toy.

(Shame about the Lov2 though - what a load of ****).

lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I started this thread to get some indication of how popular gat-type air pistols were as collectables among our forum members, and after 386 views and 16 replies I think I can now reach some sort of conclusion. I get the overall impression that few members regard these as serious items to collect, and most of those that have examples in their collection do so for nostalgic reasons, or because they came across a bargain. In a way this is a pity, as these are true air guns, and have a long history dating back to Quackenbush’s invention of the design in 1876. An example of one of these first guns would be worth a small fortune. I estimate that about 70 different gat-type pistols have been produced worldwide since that first gun, most in the last 70 years (this includes variants of models, such as nickelled versions, rebranded versions etc.), so there is plenty to go for. I think I will continue to look hard for the few I haven’t yet located, and hopefully if they remain unfashionable the prices will stay very affordable.

Incidentally, what I think is the only known advert for the Frank Clarke Whittall air pistol has come my way http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps88800fbd.jpg
    This was the first British push-barrel, and was introduced in 1919, predating the first model Briton by six years. http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...larke+Whittall
    Now finding one of these chunky items would be quite a challenge!
    As I mentioned before, John, I can see why the early (ie pre-WW2 and especially pre-WW1) pop outs are very desirable collectables and an important part of our airgunning heritage.

But the Diana/Milbro/Harrington type postwar Gats are a different kettle of fish IMHO - they were produced in large quantities, cheap to make, cheap to buy, and pretty inaccurate and uncomfortable to use. As entry level airguns they're not very suitable or satisfying. Not much going for them, really. As airguns or collectables! Nostalgia is all that's left.

I could easily understand someone investing time, money and energy into collecting pre-WW1 EG pop outs, but someone who collected every variation of TJ's output... I would respect their dedication, but think they had missed out on part of the joy of collecting vintage airguns - which is to handle something of a quality rarely seen today.

[runs for cover...]
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think a good gauge of whether something is collectable or not is when someone puts the effort into publishing a book. Has anyone read/got 'Gats' by Malcolm Atkins? I have and I recommend it. Oh and I have about 20 push in pop outs.

Ormicron

They have to be the worst type of air gun to have ever been created!What on earth was the inventor thinking and why was even one bought!!??

My honest opinion!

Malcolm Atkins book on pop-out pistols is excellent.

My only Gat was given to me by a good friend. It is in a handmade baize-lined box that his father, a well-known, architect made. Possibly the most luxurious container that a Harrington Gat lived in.

The pop-out is,

robust,easy to cock and load and a little tricky to shoot.It's design appears to be enduring. Truthfully,it's format doesn't lend itself to a great deal of modification. The "backward Diana 2" might be the biggest variation.All in all an interesting species-to me.Trev

http://cinedux.com/the-gat.php
    Last edited by trevor1; 19-11-2014 at 09:42 AM.

As I mentioned before, John, I can see why the early (ie pre-WW2 and especially pre-WW1) pop outs are very desirable collectables and an important part of our airgunning heritage.

But the Diana/Milbro/Harrington type postwar Gats are a different kettle of fish IMHO - they were produced in large quantities, cheap to make, cheap to buy, and pretty inaccurate and uncomfortable to use. As entry level airguns they're not very suitable or satisfying. Not much going for them, really. As airguns or collectables! Nostalgia is all that's left.

I could easily understand someone investing time, money and energy into collecting pre-WW1 EG pop outs, but someone who collected every variation of TJ's output... I would respect their dedication, but think they had missed out on part of the joy of collecting vintage airguns - which is to handle something of a quality rarely seen today.

[runs for cover...]
    Well Danny, I suppose it all boils down to what makes something collectable or not. One view is that collecting is about acquiring things that interest you, which at the same time are things that may never come round again. They do not have to be items of high technical quality or artistic excellence, so for example old copies of the Radio Times or the Beano, once thrown away with the household rubbish, are highly collectable simply because they are rare, representative of a bygone age, and irreplaceable.

The same is true of the push-barrel pistols. They started off in the late 1800’s being made of cast iron, and as this was not ideal for cheap mass production they petered out by the 1920’s, and we will never see these made again. They were then followed in sequence by forged steel pistols (peculiar to Britain only) in the 1920’s, then a few cast aluminium examples (also British), and then the more familiar pressed steel sheet types which persisted up to the 1980’s, mostly, but not exclusively, made in Britain and Germany. These last may seem very common and unworthy of collecting, but I don't think they should be taken for granted as they are not going to be made again, having been succeeded by the much easier to make die-cast zinc alloy guns, and (horror of horrors) the all-plastic types.

I suppose if legislation carries on the way it is going, even these plastic travesties could eventually disappear off the market for ever and then would be considered collectable.

Well Danny, I suppose it all boils down to what makes something collectable or not. One view is that collecting is about acquiring things that interest you, which at the same time are things that may never come round again. They do not have to be items of high technical quality or artistic excellence, so for example old copies of the Radio Times or the Beano, once thrown away with the household rubbish, are highly collectable simply because they are rare, representative of a bygone age, and irreplaceable.

The same is true of the push-barrel pistols. They started off in the late 1800’s being made of cast iron, and as this was not ideal for cheap mass production they petered out by the 1920’s, and we will never see these made again. They were then followed in sequence by forged steel pistols (peculiar to Britain only) in the 1920’s, then a few cast aluminium examples (also British), and then the more familiar pressed steel sheet types which persisted up to the 1980’s, mostly, but not exclusively, made in Britain and Germany. These last may seem very common and unworthy of collecting, but I don't think they should be taken for granted as they are not going to be made again, having been succeeded by the much easier to make die-cast zinc alloy guns, and (horror of horrors) the all-plastic types.

I suppose if legislation carries on the way it is going, even these plastic travesties could eventually disappear off the market for ever and then would be considered collectable.
    True enough, people will collect any old rubbish! I suppose it's just where you draw the line.

Perhaps we can all agree that anyone openly advocating the collecting of all-plastic airguns should be given their marching orders from this section of the BBS?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

True enough, people will collect any old rubbish! I suppose it's just where you draw the line.

Perhaps we can all agree that anyone openly advocating the collecting of all-plastic airguns should be given their marching orders from this section of the BBS?
    My wife would be in perfect agreement with your sentiment that people will collect any old rubbish – in her mind my collection of old airgun catalogues and advertising literature fall into just that category and if she had her way they would be consigned to the recycling bin. And when it comes to old, tattered empty pellet packets, well I daren’t accidentally leave any lying around! Perhaps women are right, collecting is man’s thing and we are all mad. Some of us are just a bit madder than others.

My wife would be in perfect agreement with your sentiment that people will collect any old rubbish – in her mind my collection of old airgun catalogues and advertising literature fall into just that category and if she had her way they would be consigned to the recycling bin. And when it comes to old, tattered empty pellet packets, well I daren’t accidentally leave any lying around! Perhaps women are right, collecting is man’s thing and we are all mad. Some of us are just a bit madder than others.
    My wife would agree with yours - and probably include my airguns too! That's why they're all locked away. It's not burglars I'm afraid of.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Here's mine @ a recent UkHft comp!

Cheers.

Roy.
    Iv`e got one of those, just needs a Big Nikko now

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Iv`e got one of those, just needs a Big Nikko now

Good man!.Use IT!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!