Thread: Gamo/BSA Hornet .22"

Gamo/BSA Hornet .22"

Hello. I purchased one of these, fitted with a 4x32 BSA AO 'scope and mounts from The Countrystore in Warwickshire. Part of the Knibbs International companies. This was being sold as "ex demo" so as there were three identical even with identical model of 'scope I tested them all at thirty-five yards range on their outdoor facilities.

First off is that the trigger pull is horrible. There seems no finesse to it and although it wasn't too difficult with good technique of holding through to shoot the rifle the pull was not the best on any air rifle I have ever used. But...

Accuracy wise two of the three were "so so" given groups running around 2" to 3" at the distance with Accurate Arms Diablo Field 16 grain pellets. The third one however gave groups of just around 1" to 1 1/2" at that thirty five yard distance. And a "good" group at that one cluster not a tight group plus a flyer to take it out to that 1" to 1 1/2".

So I purchased it. Value for money. Yes. And indoors very good accuracy indeed performing well with RWS Hyperdome tin pellets, RWS Superdone lead pellets, Eley Wasp in both 5.5mm and 5.6mm sizes and even Pax Guns "Defiant" 5.6mm pellets as well as the Accurate Arms Diablo Field.

The gun is pretty much "fantastic plastic" in that the stock is plastic, the breech is plastic (with the steel barrel liner inserted inside) as are the sights and lot else of the gun. I have changed the BSA 4x32 AO for a Hawke 4x32 Mil Dot non AO 'scope and the gun remains as accurate as ever and as would be expected. The cheekpiece as seen is moulded n BOTH sides of the stock so the gun is truly ambidextrous.

Would I recommend buying one as a general "plinking" and back garden pest control gun. Yes, very much, but subject to the ability to do a side by side test of two or three and choose the most accurate.

My purpose for buying the gun was actually to do indoor pratice with the same magnification 'scope as I use on my stalking rifles so that I can practice holding techniques and gain "muscle memory" is the prone, kneeling and standing positions with a rifle that, as near possible, handles like a fullbore stalking rifle.

This gun fits the bill.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 12-11-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Sounds good

Sounds ideal to practice with particularly If you need to really concentrate on trigger let off should help when you go back to stalking with a decent trigger.

If you wanted to a very light polish of trigger sears should improve it a bit.

1 inch - 1.5 inch on a budget gun at 30 ish meters is pretty good!!!!