Thread: A .45-70 Gov High Wall

A .45-70 Gov High Wall

30" octagonal barrel express rifle, with a set of mid-range Vernier tang sights, is currently looking at me across my desk, having just come home with me from my local gun dealer. It's not a 'real' one, but a Uberti replica, but it looks pretty good to me. Four or five months old is all it is, and if it has had a hundred rounds down it, I'd be amazed.

I'll be joining the Single-shot BP Cartridge Rifle Club of UK, and subjecting it to a diet mostly of BP when I get set up to store the stuff. I'll be making my cross-sticks sometime soon from some nice cherry that came out of a backyard in Ontario a few years ago, so every time I set it up I'll get a gentle reminder.

Hickock45 shows his off on his YouTube movie, but mine has all the spiffy checkering that his lacks. I'd just like to be able to shoot it half as well as he does, though...

Best to all.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 13-11-2014 at 07:57 PM.

sounds really great,
    was it a really great price, or should I not ask that,
    have a one in 45 long colt, which I am just thinking of trading in for an under-lever,
    you,ll have some great times shooting it when you start,
    we will see you on u-tube soon,
    T

You lucky man, iv fancied one for years but its just never happened. When i sold my rolling block it was on my list
    but as of yet its not happened. Keep us up to date how it shoots. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    sounds really great,
    was it a really great price, or should I not ask that,
    have a one in 45 long colt, which I am just thinking of trading in for an under-lever,
    you,ll have some great times shooting it when you start,
    we will see you on u-tube soon,
    T
    You shouldn't really ask, but it WAS a steal, for sure. Especially as it had that spiffy sight on it, too. I'll be getting a micrometer globe/level foresight unit next time I'm over in OR, since they are a lot less costy there, even having come from the same Italy as those we can buy here - odd that, eh? The items I buy over there have the added advantage of being much-travelled, as well.

The version that you have is a great 150-200 yard sillhouette rifle, if only it were possible here in UK to shoot at targets that go clang instead of rip. A cleverer than me pal is making me some 405gr bullets, and once I've figured out the correct size for the sizer I'll be putting some through it, no doubt.

Whinemeal, it does look very pretty, all that lovely woody stuff glowing in the firelight...

uh, hold on, we don't have a fire.....

I'll be back, 'kay?

tac

Nice one, Tac - very envious

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_BAQoVLtI - is that the correct rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    Nice one, Tac - very envious

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g_BAQoVLtI - is that the correct rifle?
    Yuppers, that's the one. Mine, though, has a load of fine checking on the wrist and forend, and a medium range Vernier sight.

It's just so graceful, IMO.

tac

Welcome to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    30" octagonal barrel express rifle, with a set of mid-range Vernier tang sights, is currently looking at me across my desk, having just come home with me from my local gun dealer. It's not a 'real' one, but a Uberti replica, but it looks pretty good to me. Four or five months old is all it is, and if it has had a hundred rounds down it, I'd be amazed.

I'll be joining the Single-shot BP Cartridge Rifle Club of UK, and subjecting it to a diet mostly of BP when I get set up to store the stuff. I'll be making my cross-sticks sometime soon from some nice cherry that came out of a backyard in Ontario a few years ago, so every time I set it up I'll get a gentle reminder.

Hickock45 shows his off on his YouTube movie, but mine has all the spiffy checkering that his lacks. I'd just like to be able to shoot it half as well as he does, though...

Best to all.

tac
    You may find you self under gunned shooting with the SSBPCRC
    They all have imported sharps rifles
    If you fancy a day out come to the QSA shoots at diggle we shoot steels Buffalo Ram And Bucket
    Richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post
    If you fancy a day out come to the QSA shoots at diggle we shoot steels Buffalo Ram And Bucket
    Richard
    o.

Sure they have Sharps rifles in a variety of calibres, AND Rolling blocks [in .45-70] AND Trapdoor Springfields [in .45-70], even Sniders in .577. I shoot at the weekends with at least four members of the SSBPetc, and none of them has advised me that the poor old .45-70 won't cut the mustard...

Diggle is just too far way fro me at the price of fuel here in this place.

Thanks anyhow.

tac, shooter since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post
    Richard
    lol....dont do it tac
    richard is the best bp shooter i know and you end up in tears.....trust me

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    lol....dont do it tac
    richard is the best bp shooter i know and you end up in tears.....trust me
    I'll trust your word for it when I'm beaten, but your pal Richard and I have never met, and yet already he gives me hot air. The website of the etc. quite clearly shows a selection of rifles in use, some of which ARE Sharps, but others are clearly not. I might be getting old and past it, but I still recognise different shapes, even at my advanced age. Even the website makes mention of the numerous types of rifles used by members, so I'm obviously missing something in the post that isn't evident from reading the club's manifesto.

Perhaps you'd enlighten me.

The best BP shooter that I know is a many times British, European and Commonwealth shooter - his name is NOT Richard.

tac

go to diggle and you will have a great time there with richard and the lads as they are genuinely into bp shooting
    theys no rivalry or we are better than you attitude tac just good fun and help etc.....he is a bloody good shot though

There are several 1885 Hi-Walls up for auction in the current Holts catalogue, 2 Brownings, 2 WRAC, a Uberti and a C Sharps Arms, as well as a couple of Remington Hepburns but the star must be the Malcolm scoped 38-55 Stevens Model 49 Schutzen rifle circa 1910, if only i had the money!!

TB.

What distance are you hoping to shoot at, i am at Pual Lane but alot of our guys go to Diggle
    Horton

Quote Originally Posted by Horton View Post
    What distance are you hoping to shoot at, i am at Pual Lane but alot of our guys go to Diggle
    Horton
    do you mean the old paul lane or the new club at paul lane?
    i was and have been a member of paul lane for years but not recieved any info on rejoining this year

Finally got my barely-used Uberti replica with a nice long barrel and mid-range tang sights. Got three moulds, too, so's I can make up some loads that it likes. I would have liked one with a set trigger, but beggers can't be choosers when you live out in East Ganglia...

Right now I'm making wood chippings out of some nice old hickory, and what's left when I'm done will look something like a set of cross-sticks - more or less.

I lucked in to a generous pal who handed me a plastic bag with over 200 barely-used cases, too.

tac