Thread: Springer or PCP

Neil Simmonds Guest

Springer or PCP

Hi guys I`m new to the forum and am returning to the airgun scene after a 12 yr break (yikes). Me and my shooting partner currently own a HW57K and HW95 both in .22 calibre. I feel a PCP may add nicely to our collection but not too sure cos of the mither with recharging and cost etc. What do u pro`s think? (I mean pro`s as in professionals and not the other ones ha ha). Really curious to hear your views on this and also on the HW100 and the calibre debate. Please feel free to mail or drop a line on hear. Cheers Neil.
    Last edited by Neil Simmonds; 27-06-2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spell check

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Welcome to the board. You'll be asked to fill in your profile, i.e. location etc,
    (click on User CP). Up until I was 40 I had only a springer, now have two PCPs and wouldn't go back.... It isn't a hassle, and they are so accurate.

Come to a local HFT and have a play with a few.

Edit:

Bury? Could you make Shepreth on the 10th? You can come and have a play with a number of rifles, and I won't even charge you for it!
    Last edited by LagomorphHunter; 27-06-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Neil Simmonds Guest
    Lol I like your style mate but where the hell is that place?

LagomorphHunter Guest

Neil Simmonds Guest
    How organised are you lol. Will have to try and get the day off work and see if my shooting colleagues can do the same. There are three of us and all new back to the game - looking forward to it pal

LagomorphHunter Guest
    Work on a Sunday?!!! Shame on you.

Do come, and bring as many mates as you wish. If you do wish to partake in the competition, see Club details . If you just wish to have a quick play to see what its like, and try some rifles (we'll all let you try them I think), then no charge as it'll be your first visit and not a proper course. You will come back though.

Only stiplulation is you abide by the safety rules of course, and that you try one of my Bunny Burgers at lunchtime.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    PCP's are very accurate but if you know your stuff a springer is as good,only thing is with a pcp you've got rapid fire until you run out of air,with a springer singel shot but no worrys about air,cost also is higher with pcp's,I have both and like the change from time to time plus a springer I think polish's you up abit,you get abit lazy with pcp's,both lovely in their own little world.Try and see.

If you can shoot a springer well, you have the potential to shoot any kind of rifle well. Without doubt the hardest form of rifle shooting I've experienced.
    A PCP is comparatively easy, very clinical and precise. If you want to hunt or need to dispatch a lot of vermin then a PCP is a far superior tool. Because of the clinical nature they can become a little easy which is why a springer is an essential back up for many shooters. Because they are so accurate you will find your standards raising. Many's the time I have been disappointed with myself if the shot hasn't been millimetre perfect at 50 Yds, whereas with a springer I've been over the moon with a bullseye at 20 Yds.

chris ballard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Pierre
    If you can shoot a springer well, you have the potential to shoot any kind of rifle well. Without doubt the hardest form of rifle shooting I've experienced.
    A PCP is comparatively easy, very clinical and precise. If you want to hunt or need to dispatch a lot of vermin then a PCP is a far superior tool. Because of the clinical nature they can become a little easy which is why a springer is an essential back up for many shooters. Because they are so accurate you will find your standards raising. Many's the time I have been disappointed with myself if the shot hasn't been millimetre perfect at 50 Yds, whereas with a springer I've been over the moon with a bullseye at 20 Yds.
    Yep, definately getting lazy with the PCP I would like a backup so I am going for a TX200hc in the new year. I cant really compare the 2 to be honest. Probably just a lousy shot with a springer, although I was starting to get results as I changed over not just systems but calibres.

Springers are thé way to learn proper shooting techniques.
    They usually also are far less expensive.
    They don't need those airbottles/refilling.
    And you gotta love the technique; it's great and there's always room for improvement.
    Bút: they're tougher to shoot accurately; so if you don't shoot regularly, it might be better to buy a PCP.
    And a personal opinion: most PCP are just darn ugly IMO!
    There are some exceptions, but those are .22 only or give very limited amount of shots (30)
    The HW100 seems to be a very good rifle, but so are all PCP's I guess; VERY accurate. I'd take the Sporterstock though, don't like the t/h
    Maybe better to first try a 'cheaper' gun to see wether you like shooting PCP's (Falcon FN19, Logun Solo, AA S200..)

Neil Simmonds Guest
    Thanks for all your posts guys. I have recently joined a shooting club which i never thought i would as i had visions of load`s of fuddy-duddys tut tutting at me and my rather meagre rifle. I am pleased to say that they are a real friendly bunch and i have even been allowed to play with a few other rifles (with the owners blessing of course). Looking forward to more heated debates on here and maybe trading with you guys in the future.