Thread: Can anyone throw light on this puzzling Diana 2 pistol?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Can anyone throw light on this puzzling Diana 2 pistol?

As a side issue from the previous thread on the collectability of gat-type air pistols, I thought it would be better if this new thread was started.

Chris has kindly provided the following pictures of his Milbro Diana 2 pistol which has what appears to be a high serial number.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8e68db3e.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psb4fb67e1.jpg

To the best of my knowledge this is unique and raises several questions. As Chris pointed out, the serial number (if it is a serial number) is very neatly done, and it obviously has not been not added by some amateur with a set of letter stamps. I cannot imagine what the number represents or why it is there. It seems unlikely to be a true serial number as it is so large and yet no other examples are known (as yet). Also there would be no point in a manufacturer keeping a note of the number of guns made and only choosing to stamp one or two off the production line.

I suppose it is just possible that other guns could have been serial numbered below the wood grip and these have gone unnoticed, but it seems unlikely. I have just dismantled two of my wood grip Diana 2’s, one blued, dated 1955, and the other nickelled, date illegible, and neither show any such markings below the grip line.

If you look carefully at the second picture you can make out that the six digit number was stamped as one block, as the resultant depression in the cylinder is quite uniform across the six digits. Such a distortion on these thin walled cylinders would have been bad news for the smooth passage of the piston.

So why is the number there? Does anyone else have a similarly marked example? Any suggestions that might throw light on this mystery would be very welcome.

Thanks to Chris for bringing this interesting puzzle to our attention.

Perhaps the tube was stamped with the number to be used on another gun and got mixed up or damaged and was cut down and used for the pistol, l have never seen one with se/no stamped on it.

thinking outside the box

Maybe it is a serial number of sorts, likely not that many made but im thinking for export purposes and possibly for the usa.
    Although a harmless low powered toy in many eyes, but some countries have seemingly strange laws surrounding these things.
    We know for the most part that webley tempests and hurricanes are numberless but there are a few with factory stamped numbers kicking around, I even had or may still have one myself.
    There is one from another recent thread here, http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSC_8289.jpg
    If you cant make a date from the stamping it may just be an I.D. to comply with certain laws.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    As a side issue from the previous thread on the collectability of gat-type air pistols, I thought it would be better if this new thread was started.

Chris has kindly provided the following pictures of his Milbro Diana 2 pistol which has what appears to be a high serial number.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8e68db3e.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psb4fb67e1.jpg

To the best of my knowledge this is unique and raises several questions. As Chris pointed out, the serial number (if it is a serial number) is very neatly done, and it obviously has not been not added by some amateur with a set of letter stamps. I cannot imagine what the number represents or why it is there. It seems unlikely to be a true serial number as it is so large and yet no other examples are known (as yet). Also there would be no point in a manufacturer keeping a note of the number of guns made and only choosing to stamp one or two off the production line.

I suppose it is just possible that other guns could have been serial numbered below the wood grip and these have gone unnoticed, but it seems unlikely. I have just dismantled two of my wood grip Diana 2’s, one blued, dated 1955, and the other nickelled, date illegible, and neither show any such markings below the grip line.

If you look carefully at the second picture you can make out that the six digit number was stamped as one block, as the resultant depression in the cylinder is quite uniform across the six digits. Such a distortion on these thin walled cylinders would have been bad news for the smooth passage of the piston.

So why is the number there? Does anyone else have a similarly marked example? Any suggestions that might throw light on this mystery would be very welcome.

Thanks to Chris for bringing this interesting puzzle to our attention.
    It's hard to see the factory doing it, given the distortion of the cylinder wall you mention. Perhaps more likely some sort of import stamp, like the South Africans used to plaster over airgun imports?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Slightly off this pistol thread but I think of interest and related.

As well as the Diana Mod 2 with number, I also have several British Milbro Diana rifles.
    two of which have quite high numbers:-

A .22 Mod 25 for 8 64 with a number stamped on the left of the breech block in view just forward
    of the breech jaws.

and a Mod 23 .177 again with a number on the left of the breech block but this time only visible
    once the barrel has been broken for cocking. There is no date stamp on the butt and I would say
    never had one unusually as this rifle has seen very little obvious use and the butt is virtually
    undamaged where we would expect the date stamp to be.

Apart from these 3 that I have I cannot recall seeing any others with any sort of number and I can't believe
    considering the number of rifles and pistols produced that there aren't others out there.

An interesting and plausible explanation is the export possibility, as these 3 numbers are high and don't
    make sense against the high numbers produced without numbers on them.

With regard to the distortion to the cylinder wall on my Mod 2 which is very slight I cannot feel any 'high' spot
    inside the cylinder and the number appears contemporary to the pistol taking into account the overall condition of
    it. ie good working order but suffering all over with patches of rust and pitting.

Chris.
    Last edited by CHJF177; 14-11-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: addition to text