Thread: Attaching stuff to classic air rifles

Attaching stuff to classic air rifles

Hi fellas, having got my first permissions the other day I'm now thinking about adding a sling and a bipod.

However most decent looking bipods I've seen attach to a weaver rail and I'm a little wary of screwing swivels into the woodwork for the sling.

Does anyone have any advice/pointers on these?

Cheers, Dom

EDIT: It's a springer, a BSA Mercury. As far as resale value goes it doesn't concern me greatly as I'm a user, not a collector.
    Last edited by Dom_E; 20-08-2013 at 10:44 PM.

You mention classic air rifle.....is it and old pcp ? The reason I ask is because if its a springer you really don't want to be fitting a bi-pod.
    Last edited by Trumpetier; 19-08-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Morning

Ref the sling, personally for me a hunting rifle has to have one. Putting a swivel in the butt end is a piece of cake, just go slow, make sure the gun is securely held, mark with a pencil, make an indentation with a drawing pin, pilot with a 2mm bit then extend to the desired diameter. Oh and buy a top quality swivel as once its in it's in. Another personal preference is i don't attach slings to the fore end unless their is a manufacturers method of doing so, better going for a barrel clamp (not on a shrouded barrel though). A little tip if using a barrel clamp is to put a small piece of inner tube or similar material between the clamp and barrel to avoid the risk of it slipping and scratching the blueing.

Ref bipods, buy a cheap spring type one that clips on the barrel first and see how much you use it before splashing £50+ on a flash one.

Buy a second cheap, nasty, battered stock for use in the field with studs screwed in for when you want to use it ?

A lot could depend on what you mean by a classic air rifle?

secretagentmole Guest
    If it is a spring powered rifle, forget it!

Fit sling swivel studs, fit harris bipod to stud, job done. It's an easy job, even I can do. swivel studs shouldn't hurt the resale value of a rifle - it wouldn't bother me.

secretagentmole Guest
    Sudden thought if fitting QD studs lowers the value of your gun when it is a classic, most of us have cumulatively knackered the secondhand classic airgun market in 25 years time!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Sudden thought if fitting QD studs lowers the value of your gun when it is a classic, most of us have cumulatively knackered the secondhand classic airgun market in 25 years time!
    The only way I can see QD studs affecting the resale value is if the rifle itself is incredibly rare, or if the studs have been fitted badly.
    Worst case scenario, lots of cheap guns in 25 years time
    Good deals with these members

I would not buy a collectible gun that has a swivel stud screwed into the stock. So yes, the value is affected.

If you need to attach a sling, there are stock strap thingies (sorry forgot what they are called) that just wrap around the stock for this very purpose.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Cheers fellas, I've added details to help you out!

Dom

If it's a standard beech stocked Mercury in unexceptional condition it would not really matter if you welded a supermarket trolley to the barrel and screwed a stepladder to the stock, so go ahead!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I had something along these lines on an Airsporter. Put a liner of some sort inside the front mount to protect the finish.
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/694...ndard-swivels/

Back in the Seventies I would have happily put a bipod on, FLIR, laser designator & anything else I could have got hold of. Nowadays I've got a bit of a retro thing going I just stick to a 4x32 scope with a high gloss finish...

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    If it's a standard beech stocked Mercury in unexceptional condition it would not really matter if you welded a supermarket trolley to the barrel and screwed a stepladder to the stock, so go ahead!
    Good call, I'll be able to do my shopping and reach the top shelves at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    I had something along these lines on an Airsporter. Put a liner of some sort inside the front mount to protect the finish.
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/694...ndard-swivels/

Back in the Seventies I would have happily put a bipod on, FLIR, laser designator & anything else I could have got hold of. Nowadays I've got a bit of a retro thing going I just stick to a 4x32 scope with a high gloss finish...
    Cheers, they look promising, not sure how well that system would work with a break barrel though? I like my gadgets, but I like the character of the old girl as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_E View Post

Cheers, they look promising, not sure how well that system would work with a break barrel though? I like my gadgets, but I like the character of the old girl as well...
    They work fine, my son had one on his B3, & then on a Supersport.