Thread: Recommendations for loading for a .44 cal Marlin 1894S

Recommendations for loading for a .44 cal Marlin 1894S

I've been loading for an 1894 in .357 for a few years (target shooting at 20-25yds) and have settled on 3.8gr Bullseye behind a 158gr TC (Hannams). I've just put a deposit on an 1894S in .44 and was wondering what sort of load, and bullet, I should be considering? (Bullseye would be preferred as that's what I already have).

....I'm also looking for some cases and bullets if anyone has some looking for a new home

44 Magnum loads with Bullseye

List of loads on the Lever Gun Performance website http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm...4-8 gns of Bullseye, ideal for up to 50 yards. Usually a .429 gn lead bullet...friends of mine have tried copper washed and Shellhouse advertise a 44 bullet sized at .430...possibly worth a try. Plenty of other powders work well with the Marlin 44 but Bullseye is fine.

amc577

boff180 Guest
    7.8grn of Viht Tin Star N32C

Very accurate in my 1894 (Cowboy) .44 out to over 100m

Andy

5.8gns AS with 240gn or 6.0gn AS with 200gn.
    25 and 50 yard load but will do 100 and 200.
    0.429 is undersized for a Marlin.
    I cast my own and size to 0.431.
    TBH any fast burning powder will do!
    Tony

Bullseye

7.3 gns of Bullseye with a GM .429 240gn Hardcast lead bullet.

Done a lot of experimenting with loads in my .44 Marlin and this is the best load I've found, it will consistently single hole at 50 yds.

ALL RELOADING DATA USED AT YOUR OWN RISK !

Marlin 44

"0.429 is undersized for a Marlin."

Interesting.....I am not sure if the 44 has Ballard or microgroove rifling...I did buy 500 .429 bullets for a pal from Kranks and when I measured them, most were .428....Thus I mentioned the Shellhouse offering at .430...Assuming the 1894 Marlin rifling is Ballard, I imagine the .431 is the measurement into the grooves....always trial and error with cast bullets. My club bought a load of copper washed 357 bullets which sized at 356 and it was assumed by the 357 shooters, that they would be inaccurate in the club Marlin/Rossi.....shot very well indeed, especially when driven hard.

For all of my CF rifles I have tried at least four types of cast bullet... trial and error! You might get lucky with the first offering.

amc577

I use 4.0gn of Bullseye with a 220gn TLFMJ bullet. Really only intended and is great for 25yds but will still group well at 50.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    .....I am not sure if the 44 has Ballard or microgroove rifling
    Mine is Micro-Groove (and dated 1990 from the serial number).

Thanks for all the advice folks, much appreciated. Next time I'm at my club I'll see what bullets they have available.

Bullseye? No, not really..

I'd not advise Bullseye in any 44 Magun, or 44 Special length case as there is just too much air space. You'd be better off with Trail Boss or equivalent or if pushed any of the Hercules, now Alliant, shot gun powders slower than Red Dot. So Unique or Green Dot and the like. I use Green Dot in my Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum and have also used Trail Boss. Both are good.

I have an early 90's micro groove 44 marlin, I use starline brass, 240gr rnfp at .429 cci lp primers & 5gr of titegroup.

Slug the barrel when you get the gun

429 pretty much fall straight thru mine !

I got a 432 mold from Ranch Dog and it now shoots splendidly !

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 15-11-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Slug the barrel when you get the gun....
    Heard about it, but never done it - is there a quick 'n dirty way to slug a barrel?

(...and thanks again for all the ongoing advice )

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4mag-questions

On the same forum everything you need to know about slugging a barrel.
    I use a round ball fired by a primer and enough powder to get it into the rifling then tap it back out.
    Better still is to make a chamber cast but probably not worth it for this type of rifle!

My first Marlin 44 slugged at 0.430 so I used a 0.432 bullet.
    My current stainless Marlin I haven't slugged but just use the same bullet.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    Heard about it, but never done it - is there a quick 'n dirty way to slug a barrel?

(...and thanks again for all the ongoing advice )
    Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4mag-questions

On the same forum everything you need to know about slugging a barrel.
    I use a round ball fired by a primer and enough powder to get it into the rifling then tap it back out.
    Better still is to make a chamber cast but probably not worth it for this type of rifle!

My first Marlin 44 slugged at 0.430 so I used a 0.432 bullet.
    My current stainless Marlin I haven't slugged but just use the same bullet.

Tony
    The way I was shown by my local RFD was to drive a 460 soft lead ball well lubed with Lee case lube - thru the barrel using a several lengths of wood dowel . catching it carefully in the breech and using a micrometer on it.

Mine slugged out at 431 - so then realised why it was shotgunning with 429 Hannam bullets !!

My 44 Marlin is a 1998 gun but new out of the box and Ballard rifled

44 Marlins are well known for having a few overbored examples hence why people like Ranch Dog make the molds for them !!

The other thing I found (after speaking with the very knowledgeable DodgyRog on here) . is that most commercial bullets (Hannam/Ace hardcast etc) for pistol cals seem to be too hard !!!!

I use more soft in my pot now and get good results

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 09-12-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Hi all, thought it was about time I updated this thread with my experiences....

Firstly, I haven't managed to slug the barrel yet, though I will do at some point - but I've had no problems using Hannams .429 240gr TC lead bullets (I find TCs load much smoother than RNFP in an underlever).

...as for powder, I've only tried Bullseye ...'cos that's what I've got

I've tried 4.6, 5.0, 5.4 & 5.7gr loads - all shot off-hand at 25 yds. They haven't been any huge variations in group size (between 1" - 1.5" for a 5-shot group), but the mid-range loads did group better. So far, my shooting hasn't given me a clear winner between 5.0gr and 5.4gr....

...to be continued!