Thread: Simmons 8-Point 1.5-5x32 (Shotgun Model 822011)...

Thumbs up Simmons 8-Point 1.5-5x32 (Shotgun Model 822011)...

I've been looking for a (new) reasonably compact budget scope with a little more magnification than the classic Weaver K1.5-1 that I normally use, that wouldn't look out of place on an SMK XS78 - so nothing larger than a 32mm objective bell. As the rifle is used for plinking and live quarry out to 30 yards, I originally intended to buy a fixed 4x, till someone on a rival forum strongly suggested that I take a look at the 1.5-5x Simmons. I did some research (Google) and found a number of posts - some dating back to 2006 - on this very forum and not one bad word about the Simmons. At £29.99 (including postage) it was well within my budget, so I ordered one.

First impressions - it looked like it should have cost a lot more money (which I believe it did at one time). Build quality appears exemplary - the satin black finish, gold markings and raised emblem on the saddle give it a classy look. Under the turret caps, the finger adjustments look a good deal better designed than those found on other economy scopes. Optics are sharp and bright, edge to edge, throughout the zoom range. The zoom ring is a little stiff to move off the 1.5x mark, but once started, dialling up to 5x and back down again is really smooth. It's refreshing to find a scope like this with a duplex reticle, everything seems to be mil-dot these days. The duplex on this Simmons is a shade thicker than the Dual-X in the K1.5-1, but for my purposes this isn't a handicap. (I'm told it has the heavier duplex because it was designed for shotgun use).

Although I've not yet fitted it to the rifle and tested it for real, I think it will - unless something goes drastically wrong in the field - suit my requirements perfectly. As it stands, I don't think that I could have done much better for the money - in fact, I don't think that I could done much better for twice the money.....

Update: With the little Simmons now mounted and zeroed on the XS78. The stiffness when turning the zoom ring off the 1.5x mark has gone, so it's a smooth glide all the way now. I managed to spend a couple of daylight hours at the farm with the intention of bagging a rabbit for the pot and possibly having a bit of sport at the expense of the local squirrel population (though I failed on both counts). No failings with the scope though. At 3x, it's ideal for spotting squirrels in the treetops, at 5x, the tuft of dead grass at the far end of the field no longer looks like a rabbit. Turned down to 1.5x, it has the comfortable familiarity of the classic Weaver scope that I've been using for the past couple of years. At this price, I'd seriously considering buying another for my AGS springer.....

Update: Now have a second one on a Hatsan 55s - no problems whatsoever.....

Update II: And a third on an HW99s.....
    Last edited by rabbitwrecker; 24-05-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: UPDATE II