Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best breach seal for BSA Challenger & MK1 Mercury S

In my mercury the hw seal is too thick. It stops the breach locking up as securely so if you close the barrel softly it ends up in a differemt position than if you close it firmly.

I didnt like point of impact varying depending on how firmly I closed the breach so put a bsa one in.

seals just as good and breach closes exactly the same every time.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Seal question

Anybody know if the HW seal will fit and give the same improvement on a Meteor mk1.

Thank in advance.

Kevin
    Daystate Panther in .177
    Daystate Air Ranger in .22
    BSA Meteor Mk1 in .22

Quote Originally Posted by kevin42 View Post
    Anybody know if the HW seal will fit and give the same improvement on a Meteor mk1.

Thank in advance.

Kevin
    According to Chambers the part no. is the same across the range up to the Lightning/Supersport, so yes it will fit as far as they do, but you do have to cut them down slightly - & as my post above suggests it didn't go well for me...

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I am going to use the standard BSA breach seal as I think that this was used on both the UK & the export models so should be good for our power limit.

Pete.

There is a cut out so that when closing the barrel it doesnt catch on the transfer port and cut the seal. I had this ans had to dress the sharp edge to stop the seal being nicked.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Why has the standard BSA seal got a nick/groove in it?

The HW77 breech seal has a grooves all the way round its circumference. I use a '80/35/85/95 ...... non grooved seal and have had no problems.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by gary_c_ham View Post
    There is a cut out so that when closing the barrel it doesnt catch on the transfer port and cut the seal. I had this ans had to dress the sharp edge to stop the seal being nicked.
    The seal doesn't stay in the same position and why doesn't other break barrel manufacturers have this problem?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk