Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsf s60

Bsf s60

Picked up a bsf s60 today in .177. It's in excellent cosmetic condition, but will need a service as power is fairly low.The gun has been laid up for around 30 years and as such looks almost new !

This one will be a keeper - I love the compact dimensions and great build quality. This one has a raised scope rail - I think this will be a great rifle for some retro hunting !

Paul

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Nice one. You can convert it to a plastic washer with a seal and an adaptor from Vortek if the leather washer is shot. The breech washer can be changed to an 'O' ring by using half of one as packing and a whole one on top. The standard spring has a massive amount of preload on it, this is one rifle you will DEFINITELY need a spring compressor for. Maccari sells springs for them, but his need spacing to get full power, I think Chambers can do you a standard one.

The BSF break-barrel - the S60, S70 and B55 are all essentially the same rifle - was the first springer to make 12 ft/lbs in .177. They are small, powerful rifles, and because of the spring-surge they can take a while to master. A light hold is the best technique, and you should be able to get hunting accuracy to about 30 yards with one. The trigger takes a little getting used to, there is a strange hang-up just before it breaks, but once you get used to it there is no problem. They are build like tanks and should last forever.

Great fun, enjoy!

Great little rifles. Ive one or two. Easy to strip if you have a spring compressor and know the secret of the scope rail.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The [leather] breech washer can be changed to an 'O' ring by using half of one as packing and a whole one on top.
    Great idea.
    You can also use a safety pin as a trigger spring to replace the weak (easily lost) trigger spring. Theres some photos on here (parts diagram etc) that you may find useful. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=50

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 16-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Great idea.
    You can also use a safety pin as a trigger spring to replace the weak (easily lost) trigger spring. Theres some photos on here (parts diagram etc) that you may find useful. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=50

HTH
    Ian
    I nicked that idea from a bloke called I.J.

And also used his safety-pin tip to repair my B55.

I nicked that idea from a bloke called I.J.

And also used his safety-pin tip to repair my B55.
    Sounds like a real intelligent and good looking bloke this I. J.
    I bet he sells some great FWB pistols to!

ATB
    Ian

Sounds like a real intelligent and good looking bloke this I. J.
    I bet he sells some great FWB pistols to!

ATB
    Ian
    Yes, I believe he gets his unique powers from seventeen Weihrauch HW35s which form a subcritical 'reactor core'. it's either that or the 2-stroke oil he puts in his tea.

Yes, I believe he gets his unique powers from seventeen Weihrauch HW35s which form a subcritical 'reactor core'. it's either that or the 2-stroke oil he puts in his tea.
    Its not 2-stroke that I put in my tea - its brake fluid.
    My doctor has told me its very addictive but I said "I can stop anytime".

ATB
    Ian

[Sorry - now back to the original BSF thread.]

Smile

Thanks for the info guys. Luckily I have a spring compressor !

I will try and keep the rifle standard.Hopefully a good clean internally,and soaking the piston washer in silicon oil for a day or two will sort it out.

I would be happy with 10 ft/lb for a sweeter firing cycle.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    I will try and keep the rifle standard.Hopefully a good clean internally,and soaking the piston washer in silicon oil for a day or two will sort it out.

Paul.
    That is a good idea, as the BSF trigger is not fully active and gets heavier with more powerful mainsprings.

Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Luckily I have a spring compressor !

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Paul.
    Plus they get a little 'lively' when pushed to near the legal limit they only weight, after all, similar weight to a BSA Meteor. I once bought a s/h 55 (.22) that was well worn in that consistently did over 13ft.lbs. m e with a variety of pellets. I soon changed the mainsprings to bring the power down to a more reasonable (and legal ) level.
    With the aid of a spring compressor they are a very easy rifle to strip. Undo the screw in the scope rail and tap it back when you release the spring pressure. Careful on re-building that you dont cross thread the retaining bolt/stud. The first few photos may help with the strip http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0

HTH
    Ian

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 16-11-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Thumbs up

Plus they get a little 'lively' when pushed to near the legal limit they only weight, after all, similar weight to a BSA Meteor. I once bought a s/h 55 (.22) that was well worn in that consistently did over 13ft.lbs. m e with a variety of pellets. I soon changed the mainsprings to bring the power down to a more reasonable (and legal ) level.
    With the aid of a spring compressor they are a very easy rifle to strip. Undo the screw in the scope rail and tap it back when you release the spring pressure. Careful on re-building that you dont cross thread the retaining bolt/stud. The first few photos may help with the strip http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0
    HTH Ian ATB Ian
    Spring compressors. If you have a drill press of sufficient size, you have a spring compressor. Most of them come with a lock mechanism and or depth control; repeat compressions are a breeze. This good advice came from Jeff and works a treat.
    I would love to come upon a later version of the S60 with the scope rail
    Paul, does your later example come with the Sile stock, or did they all?

Cheers
    Last edited by slow_runner; 17-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Agree with the guys previous comments a gret rifle, I have the 55 in .177, the s70 in .22 , the underleaver 54 in .22 and the 20 pistol in .177, you could say I like the BSF range- a lot, enjoy.