Thread: Hawke 1x25 Red Dot (Model HK3204)...

Thumbs up Hawke 1x25 Red Dot (Model HK3204)...

I've long been a big fan of 1x dot sights. While many still view them as suitable only for low power rifles and pistols that will never be used for anything more than back garden plinking, I've always appreciated their value in the hunting field. Down the years, I've owned a fair few - from 1970's vintage Singlepoints to the latest electronic offerings. A couple of months ago, I acquired a s/h Hawke 1x25 RD (complete with vertical-split ring mounts) and must say that it's probably the best sight of it's kind that I've ever used.

With a 1" tube, the little Hawke is very compact - the majority of it's peers having 30mm or 40mm tubes. Weighing roughly 5 ozs, it's a little over 4 1/4" long, (though this can be extended - by fitting the sunshade - to 5 1/2"). Some would say the small tube is at a disadvantage when compared to it's bigger brethren, but I would disagree - possibly because I always keep both eyes open when using sights of this type - and I actually prefer it in use over my pal's 1x40. It's a tough little thing too, having seen use on various 12 ft/lb springers and a .22LR while with it's former owner.

Why do I think the Hawke is the best? There is no flare or ghosting of the 4 MOA dot whatsoever - providing you set the brightness to a suitable level and with 11 settings, this is easy to do. The highest setting is ample for the sunniest day, while setting 1 is dim enough for shooting in gloomy barns without the dot flaring. The low settings are great for lamping forays - and there's plenty of room on the sunshade to strap on an UltraFire torch.

These days, everybody seems to want high-magnification zooms with huge objective bells, but for pest clearance round the farmyard or chasing squirrels through the woods - where ranges are short to moderate - the Hawke 1x25 RD is a truly unbeatable sighting system.....

Rd25 (hk3204)

I also like the Hawke RD25; picked up a boxed mint s/h one off here for just £17 collected.

As you say, compact with a nice small dot. The 4 MOA dot (4" @ 100yds) is more than good enough for my needs.
    The brightness adjustment dial is rather firm, but that is a good thing; helps prevent turning it on accidentally (avoids flat battery).

I also have a JSR 30mm red dot (looks identical to the Hawke RD30) that I previously considered to have a nice small dot, but looking on the Deben website, the RD30 has a 5 MOA dot. The RD30 is on large size, but the single long mount can be useful depending on the application.

I used one of the earlier Singlepoint sights many years ago on an old Mercury. Fantastic for close range farmyard use, it accounted for a great many rats, although the dot was far too large for even contemplating rabbits at, say, 30 yards.

About six years ago I bought a Hawke red dot. Can't remember the exact model...it was right at the budget end of the price range, the Sport Dot, or something? Had it on a Crosman Model 1. It seemed okay, but I never got it used for my intended ratting purposes, but felt it would be fine. I did feel, however, that adjustment was pretty coarse, so slight lack of ability for "fine tuning".

About a year ago I got a Walther Competiton Red Dot. This seems lovely. It's on my 2240 mini-carbine. Again, it hasn't actually made it to the farmyard as yet, but this seems really good. Nice small dot on low power settings and very compact.

Must have a play with it soon, it's been in the cupboard for yonks, unused!!!

I also feel that, for many scenarios, the dot sight is a formidable and useful system.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

After both these testimonies and another recently about a singlepoint on a fenman(?) Ill be getting one of these to try on my sirocco. .. i had a tasco 40mm on my vulcan which accounted for a couple of rats out my mums back door.. but ive lost it in a move somewhere! .. rd25 it is!
    Donald

Singlepoint on a Mercury - did that in 1976...

Singlepoint on a Fenman - my favourite squirrel rifle.....