Thread: Bsa Mercury same as supersport

Bsa Mercury same as supersport

hi,

I'm in the middle of a bsa supersport resto, Ive 99% of the parts and I'm nearly done with bluing the cylinder. POK! gave me a nice wooden stock for free, I'm very appreciative of this generous offer. I'd recommend him to anyone for any deals or transactions

Anyway, I'm very curious of tuning tips for the supersport. what if anything has anyone done to their supersports.
    Plus can anyone tell me if the supersport is based upon the bsa Mercury. Same size cylinder diameters etc? I ask because some one post about tuning his Mercury, i noticed the cylinder and stock design looked slightly similar. I also noticed my piston is a fair old lump of metal too, and I was curious about the axis bolt instead of the pin.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....t=Mercury+bolt

As I'd like to add a few things to her as I go, to update the little bsa. As I plan to keep this long term

Thanks
    Andy

Almost everything differs between the Supersport and the Mercury.
    The ccokling linkage is of different length.
    The barrels are similar, but the groove in the barrel block for the cockling linkage has a different width. I belive this varied with different vintages of the meteor/supersport/mercury, as they all share the same basic barrel design with a few dimensional differences through the different MK's.
    Seals are not the same, not by design or size, the Mercury has a 28mm o-ring, and the supersport a 29mm "modern" seal.
    Trigger mechanisms are completely different.

The barrel locking wedge and locking spring are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Almost everything differs between the Supersport and the Mercury.
    The ccokling linkage is of different length.
    The barrels are similar, but the groove in the barrel block for the cockling linkage has a different width. I belive this varied with different vintages of the meteor/supersport/mercury, as they all share the same basic barrel design with a few dimensional differences through the different MK's.
    Seals are not the same, not by design or size, the Mercury has a 28mm o-ring, and the supersport a 29mm "modern" seal.
    Trigger mechanisms are completely different.

The barrel locking wedge and locking spring are the same.
    Hi evert,
    Ah ha, thanks for that. I thought maybe bsa changed the trigger block and renamed it.
    Thanks
    Andy

The Mercury has a two part piston with a removable piston head unit made sometimes of nylon sometimes aluminium with an O ring seal. A 5mm polyurethane buffer goes between the piston and the head unit. I stripped an old rifle the other day where the buffer was still in pristine condition, first one I have seen as they have normally crumbled and completely mashed up.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I had a Supersport in .25cal a couple of years ago and put a Theoben gasram in it . It shot very nice at 11.3ftlbs but was very limited to pellet choice as older BSA barrels were too tight for modern pellets I sold it and have regretted it since . Most people say that rammers are harsh but the .25 I had was very nice to shoot ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

A picture paints a thousand words....
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24695/Mk3/
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24314/Supersport/

As you can see, dramatically different, especially around the trigger,
    I suppose the Supersport replaced the Mercury due to manufacturing cost rather than performance. I've got both & they are both excellent but the Mercury is better made & finished, & a lot more complicated internally.

My sons got my original Supersport now & it's still knocking down rabbit's after a couple of decades.

I had a mk5 airsporter years ago, I loved it but I couldn't get on with it. I don't know why, But I loved the design of the trigger housing block

I've always liked the look of the Mercury but I never came across one at the right time.

You'll need your cylinder milling to accept the axis nut & bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    You'll need your cylinder milling to accept the axis nut & bolt.
    Hi,
    That's good news, I wasn't sure if it could be done. I cut up a scored meteor cylinder years ago, through the arms that hold the breech we're hollow. I wasn't sure if all bsa were the same.

Thanks
    Andy