Thread: Wather Rotex vs Hatsan AT44

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wather Rotex vs Hatsan AT44

Hi guys need your views..

Whats the better gun to go for got the chance of a Walther Rotex in .22 or Hatsan AT44 also in .22 both guns are second hand and same price! Looming for a good platform for my diy night vision set up and keep the BSA R10 as my day rifle

So whats the better gun as a good work horse chaps for mainly ratting

Cheers folks..

Any views guys??

Ok, based on very limited personal experience.

The Hatsan appears to be based on an old Webley design (Raider 10?) and I know a chap that's had the Webley for years with no issues.

I own a Umarex Air Magnum, which the R8 appears to be based on. I'm not happy with the accuracy of mine (which may be down to the CO2 power plant) and I've seen YouTube vids of the R8 showing similar (ie not very good) groups.

So, based on what I've seen, I'd buy the Hatsan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Ok, based on very limited personal experience.

The Hatsan appears to be based on an old Webley design (Raider 10?) and I know a chap that's had the Webley for years with no issues.

I own a Umarex Air Magnum, which the R8 appears to be based on. I'm not happy with the accuracy of mine (which may be down to the CO2 power plant) and I've seen YouTube vids of the R8 showing similar (ie not very good) groups.

So, based on what I've seen, I'd buy the Hatsan.
    I'm in the same boat which one to buy?? and have the same two in mind!!! I have also seen the vid on you tube could the accuracy been down to not using a pellet the gun likes?

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    ...could the accuracy been down to not using a pellet the gun likes?
    Possibly, but I tested my Air Magnum with most of the popular brands (bought a pellet sampler with about 15 types in it) including AA Field, H&N FTT, Accupell, Superdome etc and the best groups looked like the ones in the YouTube vids.

OK it's not bad as such, but I expect any PCP to return one-hole groups at 25m (all mine have). Heck, I've got springers that can do that.

Half inch groups from a PCP just aren't that impressive IMO.

I was shooting an R8 this morning. Very accurate, I only tried Falcon pellets and they were doing one inch groups at 30 metres. Was also shooting well out to 70 metres. Seems strange peolple say they are not accurate when they are using Walther barrels that other airgun manufacturers also use. Using the term "monkey metal" is not very accurate. Nearly all PCP rifles I work on use an alloy for the receiver, not steel, just try a magnet on them. Only the barrels are steel. Some use aluminium alloy for the air cylinder which takes a lot of pressure.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Right thanks for your input buddy.. intresting to hear as I have heared and seen on the air gun gear show that the accuracy is very good even out to 50 yards!

Would be good to get some more views.. I hear the Walther Rotex is made with pot metal not sure about the AT44?? I know the Rotex uses a plastic trigger that im not keen on to be honest.

as said I want it for night vision shooting so do need something thats up to the job..

Quote Originally Posted by fog horn View Post
    Right thanks for your input buddy.. intresting to hear as I have heared and seen on the air gun gear show that the accuracy is very good even out to 50 yards!

Would be good to get some more views.. I hear the Walther Rotex is made with pot metal not sure about the AT44?? I know the Rotex uses a plastic trigger that im not keen on to be honest.

as said I want it for night vision shooting so do need something thats up to the job..
    I cant comment on the rotex but i can the hatsan.., i myself are looking for a budget pcp and i tested the hatsan next to a hw100, and to be honest if it was just functionality there wasnt much in it. They both popped the spot no problems. YES of coarse the 100 is bult much better, has higher shot count, bigger mag etc but it also is more than double the money! I was very impressed with both but the hatsan pipped it on value for money., it was increadable value for what you get, side leaver, anti double feed, quick fill, nice trigger, very quiet apart from a little 'ping' that im told can be reduced., & plenty of upgrade options. In .22 i had no problem (on a setup i didnt know) in hitting 25,30,35,45,55,65 yrd targets (teaspoon spinners) in my first 7-8 shots.
    As soon as i can afford one thats what il be buying. The shot count is a little low but there are regs avaliable which you can spend saved money on.
    The rotex does look good i have to say but the hatsan is 50quid less & comes with bipod, scope, mounts, 3mags (i think) and the build quality doesnt actualy seem too bad to me..., the owner (capitalbee) i think (if i remember correctly) said he had been hunting with it for 3 years without any issues other than giving the mags a polish & servicing the loading mech to get it running smooth.
    Hope that helps
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I cant comment on the rotex but i can the hatsan.., i myself are looking for a budget pcp and i tested the hatsan next to a hw100, and to be honest if it was just functionality there wasnt much in it. They both popped the spot no problems. YES of coarse the 100 is bult much better, has higher shot count, bigger mag etc but it also is more than double the money! I was very impressed with both but the hatsan pipped it on value for money., it was increadable value for what you get, side leaver, anti double feed, quick fill, nice trigger, very quiet apart from a little 'ping' that im told can be reduced., & plenty of upgrade options. In .22 i had no problem (on a setup i didnt know) in hitting 25,30,35,45,55,65 yrd targets (teaspoon spinners) in my first 7-8 shots.
    As soon as i can afford one thats what il be buying. The shot count is a little low but there are regs avaliable which you can spend saved money on.
    The rotex does look good i have to say but the hatsan is 50quid less & comes with bipod, scope, mounts, 3mags (i think) and the build quality doesnt actualy seem too bad to me..., the owner (capitalbee) i think (if i remember correctly) said he had been hunting with it for 3 years without any issues other than giving the mags a polish & servicing the loading mech to get it running smooth.
    Hope that helps
    Rhys
    Yes Rhys, had mine for 3 years, trouble free. All I did, as Rhys said was polish the fronts of the mag's and put in a nylon tube (taken from a 'Ted Holdover' youtube) to de-'ping'. 60 full power shots in .22 and me if Rhys doesn't go and shoot it as well as (if not better) than me

All I'd say for ratting is you'd probably want it on a bipod. I did some rat work free-handed and found its' length made it slower to swing onto the target. Also, I'd still left the scope set at a 25yds zero, which made it a problem sub 15yds.