Thread: Perhaps the most important air rifle in history

Perhaps the most important air rifle in history

Thought you might be interested in the air rifle carried my Lewis and Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

thanks, I did american history for part of my degree way back in 1989 and our main lecuturer mentioned it to me at the time has he knew I was in to airguns. Its on my list to get if I ever win the euro millions We all need dreams, and that is something special.

hmmm... its a nice gun, not sure about this guys theory though.. peace through perceived superior firepower? Ive read quite a few books about the 'native americans' and im more inclined to believe that they befriended lewis and clark, probably through exchange of gifts, and allowed them to pass through unharmed. maybe I should read lewis and clark before stating this! lol
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    hmmm... its a nice gun, not sure about this guys theory though.. peace through perceived superior firepower? Ive read quite a few books about the 'native americans' and im more inclined to believe that they befriended lewis and clark, probably through exchange of gifts, and allowed them to pass through unharmed. maybe I should read lewis and clark before stating this! lol
    Yes maybe, but imagine the shock of waitng for the muskets of the day to fire, now a good marksman could get say reload in say 5-10 mins. So you charge and are meet with 20-30 shots with no smoke and no noise but deadley killing accurecey hell of a shock and a great barganing counter. Then allso had the the help of the native american Secatchawaya to guide them and talk to the various tribes they encounterd, that has been played down by many non native american writers maybe due to racial prejudice agianst americas original inhabitants or sexism has from descriptions of the Lady She was a beutiful woman by any standards. Maybe some of our american members could elaborate on this fogotten person who saved and guided Lewis and Clarke in this epic adventure.

Ill need to get the book.. i tend to wait until i see books at charity shops or boot sales. Definitely worth a read methinks.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by outfitter View Post
    Thought you might be interested in the air rifle carried my Lewis and Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

It only becomes an important gun if you believe the the story of its discovery --- I don't.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/thread/1339757132

All the best Mick

Last edited by T 20; 20-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    It only becomes an important gun if you believe the the story of its discovery --- I don't.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945/thread/1339757132

All the best Mick

yes your the second person whos said that

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    yes your the second person whos said that
    Too much of a coincidence for me Dave --- Beeman spends years looking for a gun and then says, here it is, I had it in my collection all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Too much of a coincidence for me Dave --- Beeman spends years looking for a gun and then says, here it is, I had it in my collection all the time.
    Yes were both very cynicall, and I would love it to be true and yet, my cynicism makes me think. Lovley rifle though.

Lewis and Clark

One of the things I've always thought about the claim that the indians were somehow overwhelmed by the demonstration of the air gun is that everyone was impressed with the demonstration of the air gun. Even today, a demonstration of a large bore air gun is likely to attract interest and attention.

However, one of the hardest points to believe, at least for me, is the claim that the Merriwether Lewis air gun was made by Girandoni himself in Vienna. The hardest part to believe about this particular claim is how in the heck did an air gun made in eastern europe, Vienna, make it's way to Philadelphia by 1802? It was not the Habsburg Monarchy who ruled the waves. It was the British who entirely ruled the commercial trade to America at this time. A big part of that trade was advanced manufactured goods that were the product of the industrial revolution in England. A revolution that Vienna would have to wait for the wars with Napoleon to finally end in 1815. Also, one of the firms that Lewis is known to have visited during his shopping trip to Philadelphia was Tom's of London where he purchased advanced manufactured instruments.

It has been shown by London city tax records that Staudenmayer, a primary builder and designer of air guns in London, started his business by 1799. So, the so often repeated contention that the Girandoni-style air gun carried by M. Lewis had to be from Vienna is just silly. Take air guns out of the question. Where were the advanced instruments carried by M. Lewis made? Answer: London.

Back in 2004, there was the celebration of the 200 year anniversary of the L&C expedition with a traveling exhibition of relics. One of the items in this display was the Staudenmayer Girandoni air gun from the Milwaukee Public Museum. This exhibition came to Portland, so, I got a very good look at it. First, this Staudenmayer looks exactly the same as shown in Baker/Currie. But, most dramatic to me was the condition. It was absolutely pitch black. Not a shiny bit to be seen. Exactly like one would expect a gun that had been hand carried for two years in the field to look. Interesting to note that this example also happens to be missing the rear sight; something M. Lewis mentions in his diary as being a problem.

All the evidence that I've seen, indicates that the Lewis and Clark air gun was proudly made in London. Rule Britannia!

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    One of the things I've always thought about the claim that the indians were somehow overwhelmed by the demonstration of the air gun is that everyone was impressed with the demonstration of the air gun. Even today, a demonstration of a large bore air gun is likely to attract interest and attention.

However, one of the hardest points to believe, at least for me, is the claim that the Merriwether Lewis air gun was made by Girandoni himself in Vienna. The hardest part to believe about this particular claim is how in the heck did an air gun made in eastern europe, Vienna, make it's way to Philadelphia by 1802? It was not the Habsburg Monarchy who ruled the waves. It was the British who entirely ruled the commercial trade to America at this time. A big part of that trade was advanced manufactured goods that were the product of the industrial revolution in England. A revolution that Vienna would have to wait for the wars with Napoleon to finally end in 1815. Also, one of the firms that Lewis is known to have visited during his shopping trip to Philadelphia was Tom's of London where he purchased advanced manufactured instruments.

It has been shown by London city tax records that Staudenmayer, a primary builder and designer of air guns in London, started his business by 1799. So, the so often repeated contention that the Girandoni-style air gun carried by M. Lewis had to be from Vienna is just silly. Take air guns out of the question. Where were the advanced instruments carried by M. Lewis made? Answer: London.

Back in 2004, there was the celebration of the 200 year anniversary of the L&C expedition with a traveling exhibition of relics. One of the items in this display was the Staudenmayer Girandoni air gun from the Milwaukee Public Museum. This exhibition came to Portland, so, I got a very good look at it. First, this Staudenmayer looks exactly the same as shown in Baker/Currie. But, most dramatic to me was the condition. It was absolutely pitch black. Not a shiny bit to be seen. Exactly like one would expect a gun that had been hand carried for two years in the field to look. Interesting to note that this example also happens to be missing the rear sight; something M. Lewis mentions in his diary as being a problem.

All the evidence that I've seen, indicates that the Lewis and Clark air gun was proudly made in London. Rule Britannia!
    thank you Dean, as allways very imfomative, many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post

Thank you for that ,I found that very interesting!
    Last edited by mrto; 21-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.