Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil for co2 cartridges

oil for co2 cartridges

Hi everyone, just acquired my first pistol (Umarex cp99) and from what I understand it's advisable to put a couple drops of oil or lube on the top of the co2 cartridge, can anyone tell me why this is and what's the best one?

Thanks

A tiny swipe of Crosman pelgun oil from JSR is what I use. Helps keep the PTFE seal supple

yeah pelgun oil on the top of the co2 capsule works well, just put a drop on every 2 capsules will be fine.
    All if you buy crosman co2 capsules they have a lube inside them..

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

oil for co2 cartridges

Hi you can either use crosman pelgun oil or contact nick from magic9design as he has his own brand which is great. I put a little drop on around every 5 cartridges.

kj68

What's the pelgun oil based on? It is just silicone oil or something else? Ive got silicone oil which I use for non airgunner seals, but I wondered if it is the same or just going to wreak the seals. ( I've got a cp99 too )

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Some people reckon it's the same as ATF (automatic transmission fluid - the pinky/red one)
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Hello I have read that the oil is not ATF but a plain straight old fashioned 30 sae. with a dye to colour it Red. I have been using a straight 30 in some 6 crosman pistols and rifles for a few years now and it hasnt caused any problems that I am aware of.
    Classic motor oil at something around £19.00 a gallon should last a while! But I do use it for other things. IMO I think it is OK.
    It would be interesting to know other peoples thoughts.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I just keep a screw top old pellet tin with a oil soaked rag and rub the end of the capsule on the rag before fitting. Too much of a pain to carry a oil tin around.

Umarex pistols dont really enjoy oil.
    Its really for older co2 guns and even then can cause problems on some models.
    So go easy on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamAD View Post
    I just keep a screw top old pellet tin with a oil soaked rag and rub the end of the capsule on the rag before fitting. Too much of a pain to carry a oil tin around.
    Sounds like a very good idea and a neat way of ensuring you don't use too much oil.

To date, on my 2240 and 2250s, I apply a small drop of Pellgun oil onto the neck, and wipe it over, but your method sounds excellent!

Not really sure on the Umarex pistols. On my recently acquired PPK/S, I did as above; many say to apply every five capsules.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    Some people reckon it's the same as ATF (automatic transmission fluid - the pinky/red one)
    thats what I use and havent had any problems with my many older Crossmans

I will be shot down in flames I am sure - but I use "3-in-1". Over the last ten years I have not had a seal fail so will carry on using it.

Ballistol also seems to work perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    Ballistol also seems to work perfectly well.
    yes thats a good choice has well.

Ballistol ? Ive not tried that but Ive loads of the stuff. I use it as a lube of pivots etc and wiping over my guns. Never had any problems with it and it removes warts! (or summat)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk