Thread: BSA/Lincoln Jeffries Rifles.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

BSA/Lincoln Jeffries Rifles.

If I were to come accross a BSA Imp Mod D Light Pattern with a serial number pre-fixed with the letter S, would this indicate that the trigger block had been switched/substituted with one from a BSA Standard pattern? All the L Pattern rifles I've seen have had L pre-fixed numbers.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    If I were to come accross a BSA Imp Mod D Light Pattern with a serial number pre-fixed with the letter S, would this indicate that the trigger block had been switched/substituted with one from a BSA Standard pattern? All the L Pattern rifles I've seen have had L pre-fixed numbers.
    Hi Harry,

The letter 'S' in front of the Ser No on the Improved Mod D denotes that the rifle has a double sear fitted. This was a rather unsuccessful safety related feature introduced during the final stages of production.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Harry,

The letter 'S' in front of the Ser No on the Improved Mod D denotes that the rifle has a double sear fitted. This was a rather unsuccessful safety related feature introduced during the final stages of production.

Regards

Brian
    That is a useful piece of info.
    Imelda

edbear2 Guest
    HI, there should also be a stamping of a patent number (or very often) on the block, which covers this mod ..can't remember it at the mo'.... The trigger set up is shown well here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45...57626487439829

This set up can be spotted by simply looking closely at the trigger from underneath on a complete gun. The piston rod has two latch cut outs as well.

It was an early anti-beartrap effort, which depended a lot on the balance being correct between the upper and lower trigger / sear spring set, It seems they had problems with it, as many guns seen have the whole shebang riveted to prevent movement, and made basically into a normal trigger.

I have had maybe 10 of these equipped guns apart over the last few years, and the riveted triggers seem to be more common by about a 60% margin in the ones I have seen.

It was as per normal with BSA back then, announced with a lot of hoo-haa, and then quietly dropped because it did not prove as reliable as expected. Unusual for BSA back in this era to get stuff into production like this, I think that apart from this (along with the ''improved'' 1930's post and heavy ring washer retainer which can be a mare), and arguably the weak stock / action joint area, that generally they got it spot on.

When I say weak above, it is only an issue when the stock bolt / trigger guard screws are not kept tight, but they did do a supplimentary third screw on the top of the cylinder, or at least someone did from time to time as these are sometimes seen.

ATB, Ed

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Thanks for that, I thought smoeone was trying to pass a bitzer off as the real McCoy. It would seem my scepticism was mis-placed.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.