Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage 10m rifle league?

Vintage 10m rifle league?

Hello,
    With the Muscle Power and Carbon league talk it does feel a bit like the old 10m rifles are a little left out.
    I don't want to volunteer to arrange such a competition but it does seem necessary to have stiff outfits and pneumatic rifles to be competitive nowadays.. It puts me off in my clothes which could be worn to a nice pub, sporting an old recoilless springer

Just wondered if anyone else had considered it?

Jonathan

Were running a rifle comp for the old rifles along with the pistols as we think like you too. Some good scores too along with a good range of the "older" rifles all shot without leathers etc.

George
    scorer MPL

Quote Originally Posted by J Grainger View Post
    Hello,
    With the Muscle Power and Carbon league talk it does feel a bit like the old 10m rifles are a little left out.
    I don't want to volunteer to arrange such a competition but it does seem necessary to have stiff outfits and pneumatic rifles to be competitive nowadays.. It puts me off in my clothes which could be worn to a nice pub, sporting an old recoilless springer

Just wondered if anyone else had considered it?

Jonathan
    I cant see why this cannot happen. I just post the MPL and CCL pistol scores on here (with the odd sarcy comment. ) after I receive them.
    At present the competition is between two clubs but there is nothing stopping more clubs joining. The rules are simple - shoot 4 cards in the case of the MPL (6 for the CCL) anytime in the month. Get your cards signed BEFORE you shoot with another club member/witness and either e-mail or PM me the scores and they will go on here. Im sure a similar system could work for Classic Rifles. A lot relies on honesty - but isn't that the case with most postal compts? Its just for a bit of fun but I do take great pleasure in occasionally whipping 'Hippo' and his Wobbly in the MPL.
    All it needs is another mug, I mean keen member to be willing to collate the scores and post them on here. Its a shame that so many classic match rifles are just gathering dust.

One volunteer required!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thirdwheel, I'd be interested in hearing more..

On Edit, just found the bit about rifles, I'll PM zooma

Jonathan
    Last edited by J Grainger; 22-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Should have directed you to all our past posts on the subject but I'm brain dead through writing too much (my work) and not shooting enough. We only have December to run on the end of the year series, have a look at our scores posted on here, will bring it to the to so you can find it easy. I also email them out too once a month as it looks so much better in a proper table and there in more info too such as averages.

Best cheers
    George

Thankyou
    I'll have a look..

10m targets at 10m for rifle?

Jonathan
    Last edited by J Grainger; 22-11-2014 at 11:49 PM.

forgot to say both the mpl pistol and rifle are shot at the old British distance of 6yds, this was done to try and get more people shooting, as you can usually find space for a 6yd range at home - we shoot in the living room. The targets are smaller than 10m and it really focuses the brain, I've really trained on 10m over the last 9 months and my 6yd scores have slipped when shooting an old pistol. I shoot another 6yd postal comp (dorset league) with my pcp - pardini K12 and I'm doing ok.

That doesn't sound too bad..
    Shall see how I feel come the new season.. Debating using my 10m rifle with a scope at 20yds if the new barrel does the trick.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    forgot to say both the mpl pistol and rifle are shot at the old British distance of 6yds, this was done to try and get more people shooting, as you can usually find space for a 6yd range at home - we shoot in the living room. The targets are smaller than 10m and it really focuses the brain, I've really trained on 10m over the last 9 months and my 6yd scores have slipped when shooting an old pistol. I shoot another 6yd postal comp (dorset league) with my pcp - pardini K12 and I'm doing ok.
    Thats the postal compt.

At club level (RMTC and RR) we shoot both MPL and CCL over 10m.

ATB
    Ian

UBC has a 10m vintage comp iirc. Allthough the 6 yrd is far more popular.
    Probably due to the fact that most people have space for a 6 yrd range at home, and not necissarily for 10m.
    Also, iirc, the 'official' range back than for belltarget was 6 yrds.
    Allthough, for more recent matchrifles from the 70s/80s, 10m might be more challenging
    ATB,
    yana

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    I would playJust acquired a very nice Steyr match in Co2 flavour.6 or 10m doesn't bother me,just for fun mind,non profit making
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    I would playJust acquired a very nice Steyr match in Co2 flavour.6 or 10m doesn't bother me,just for fun mind,non profit making
    I don't think you can make a profit from running a competition with a modest entry fee - some people even object to paying a small fee to cover the postage and target costs - the time and admin workload has to be done for free.

It would be great to have you organise this proposed 10 metre vintage air rifle competition so you can experience the joys (and work load) of running one for the benefit or others - and you may be surprised to see just how hard it is to make all of the ends meet to a tight budget and how much time and effort it takes to make it run smoothly.

If you run it at a similar cost to the 10 meter MPL series ( no entry fee) or the 6 yard MPL series ( £10.00 for the 6 month series including all of the stamped competition targets ) I would be pleased to enter it and support you.
    Last edited by zooma; 27-11-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    The term "Vintage Air Rifles" (or the more commonly used term ""Classic Air Rifles") usually refers to spring powered rifles, and in the case of the MPL competitions it also includes SSP rifles too

- but not any pre-charged rifles as they take less effort to cock and load.

To accommodate the CO2 air pistols we currently have the separate Classic Carbon League and there would be nothing wrong with you organising a competition for CO2 air rifles along similar lines - but I think all pre-charged air rifles ( and pistols) should not be mixed with those that require some physical effort to shoot - unless a suitable handicap system can be included to suitably penalise them.

However, there are very few CO2 match rifles in current use and it may be hard to find enough support to make a competition series for them - but they are more than capable of holding their own against any PCP match rifle and they can be freely used in open competitions

......and obviously this is the reason why they are NOT included in the existing Classic air pistol or rifle competitions.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Im sure we could cater for Steve (MrFixit) special needs (including postage).

There must be more people who would like to dust off their classic match rifles, be it Giss, sledge, oil dampened, etc. and use them for a bit of fun - no prizes, no fees. There may even be some more odd balls like Steve own CO2 match rifles they could join in a Classic Carbon Rifle League (CCRL).

Just shoot 4 cards over 10m in the month (no set times) and post your results on here for comparison. If theres enough interest Im sure it will eventually develop into a postal league.

What have you got to loose?

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    In my opinion 4 cards/20 shots it doesn't matter what system you use.I just like the idea of these old guns getting some use.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu