Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage 10m rifle league?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
    In my opinion 4 cards/20 shots it doesn't matter what system you use.I just like the idea of these old guns getting some use.
    So, does that mean you will take part? Just shoot 4 cards, 5 shots, 10m sometime in December and post your scores on here. Lets see what the response is (if any) and take it from there. If there is enough interest we could start a regular competition and agree a set of rules. Perhaps increase the number of cards per round.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    Ok I will get 4 cards signed on the back prior to shooting them.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

What are the basic rules, e.g. hight of target,target type & i presume standing.

mrfixit is offline There's many a slip twixt trousers and skip
    I'll be shooting this at home as I have 10m,the target centre should be 55" from the floor.
    Home Page:
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu

cheers,i will see if 10m is possible.

Shooting a 10m card in December and posting it on here might give an indication of interest..
    Having just rebarreled my Diana 75 only to have my brother break my milling machine there's a fair possibility that I won't be able to use open sights in time but if I can will have a go..
    It's a story of a knob, a 20mm cutter and a FP1.. Probably the drive key in the vertical head.

Jonathan

I'll be shooting this at home as I have 10m,the target centre should be 55" from the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    cheers,i will see if 10m is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grainger View Post
    Shooting a 10m card in December and posting it on here might give an indication of interest..
    Having just rebarreled my Diana 75 only to have my brother break my milling machine there's a fair possibility that I won't be able to use open sights in time but if I can will have a go..
    It's a story of a knob, a 20mm cutter and a FP1.. Probably the drive key in the vertical head.

Jonathan
    Thats three. Anyone else?
    Just shoot 4 cards, 5 shots/card over 10m (standing, unaided of course) and post your scores on here. Lets see if we can get some of these old classic target rifles dusted off and used as they were intended.

Good luck.

ATB
    Ian

In my opinion 4 cards/20 shots it doesn't matter what system you use.I just like the idea of these old guns getting some use.
    If scores are not important then you are right - but all gas powered rifles ( CO2 or PCP) are easier to shoot and so if scores are to be considered as having any meaning at all - then the gas powered rifles should carry some sort of penalty so as not to put off those with spring powered or SSP rifles that are harder to achieve the same scores with.

How about minus 5 points per card for starters and see how it goes over the first 6 month period ?

Winning is desperately important for some with a very competitive nature and any advantage will be taken to succeed, but for most this sounds like it could be a lot of fun so why not keep it that way and penalise those that "take the easy ride" with the gas powered rifles?

If any serious shooters decide to take part (those that already shoot in national leagues etc ) they also have the opportunity to show how good they are with the genuine Classic type of rifles ( spring powered and SSP) or how well they can score with a gas powered rifle even after taking the 5 point penalty.

Some may even like to take on the biggest challenge of all - themselves - by alternating from time to time with a Classic or a gas powered rifle to see how well they compare.

To the best shooters it may not make that much difference ( I agree), but to the fun and hobby shooter it could make a big difference.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Talking of advantages and handicaps..
    I know the story of the Walther LGR and the change of target size..
    I would be very interested to know how the typical 5 shot grouping changed when people switched to SSPs and what the highest scores were for the best shooters still shooting spring guns after the targets changed.

Would spring powered 10m rifles shooting the older targets score as well as SSPs shooting the newer targets?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If scores are not important then you are right - but all gas powered rifles ( CO2 or PCP) are easier to shoot and so if scores are to be considered as having any meaning at all - then the gas powered rifles should carry some sort of penalty so as not to put off those with spring powered or SSP rifles that are harder to achieve the same scores with.

How about minus 5 points per card for starters and see how it goes over the first 6 month period ?

Winning is desperately important for some with a very competitive nature and any advantage will be taken to succeed, but for most this sounds like it could be a lot of fun so why not keep it that way and penalise those that "take the easy ride" with the gas powered rifles?

If any serious shooters decide to take part (those that already shoot in national leagues etc ) they also have the opportunity to show how good they are with the genuine Classic type of rifles ( spring powered and SSP) or how well they can score with a gas powered rifle even after taking the 5 point penalty.

Some may even like to take on the biggest challenge of all - themselves - by alternating from time to time with a Classic or a gas powered rifle to see how well they compare.

To the best shooters it may not make that much difference ( I agree), but to the fun and hobby shooter it could make a big difference.
    Lets just see what response we get before we start adding (further) rules and penalty points. Lets just get the rifles out dusted off and the spiders removed from the rifling. IF there is any response lets re asses it in say 6 months time.

O.K. - Whoes the first?

New to this, so dopey question...What size targets? I may be able to get access to an old match rifle and if so would like to have a go as this sounds like informal fun. I assume we post the results on this thread?

Likewise - have a 300S and 10m - just need to know the target. I have the standard 'Bisley' 5 to a side, is it those?

I suggest this is the type of target we use. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=149 It should be readily available to everyone.

I hope to shoot my cards next week and get my score in. That way I can be the leader (for a while)

ATB
    Ian

P.S. I forgot to add - its INWARD scoring. If the pellet touches or brakes the line it scores UPWARDS.
    Last edited by I. J.; 07-12-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Inward scoring.

Sounds like I better get my foresight attached..
    Testing the new barrel for grouping (or lack of) this evening

Blimey, those targets look small (used to shooting pistol). Like I said if I can get hold of a gun, I'll give it a go (really looking forward to it).