Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: legal requirements for reloading in uk? Irish reloaders need help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    The forms are likely to be somewhere on the psni website but Google found them quickly for me http://www.br-pc.co.uk/files/Powder-app.pdf
    Thanks Liam. PDF saved!

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    very interesting Ivan, I feel sorry for you, did not realise you had this problem over there, as to reloading in the UK everything said all ready is correct, but in Guernsey CI you cannot reload at home, take any calibre ammunition home it must all be left at the club, that was the only way they kept their pistols after the UK ban, keep your pistols but no ammo away from the range and must be purchased at the range.

Might Guernsey CI exist under different authorty than mainland Uk ! I won't pretend to understand any of the jurisdictional legalities pertaining to the UKs many satellite principalities.
    I will however knowingly omit jurisdiction that don't demonstrate the unfairness of my countries proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanthehunter View Post
    Might Guernsey CI exist under different authorty than mainland Uk ! I won't pretend to understand any of the jurisdictional legalities pertaining to the UKs many satellite principalities.
    I will however knowingly omit jurisdiction that don't demonstrate the unfairness of my countries proposals.
    You are correct. The Channel Islands are not part of the UK, but are Crown Dependencies like Gibraltar and the Isle of Man. As Bailiwicks, they have their own form of government, too, and both Bailiwicks have been administered separately since the late 13th century. Each has its own independent laws, elections, and representative bodies (although in modern times, politicians from the islands' legislatures are in regular contact). Any institution common to both is the exception rather than the rule.

The Channel Islands are the last vestiges of the Grand Duchy of Normandy, and as such effectively pre-date Parliamentary England. A resident of Jersey or Guernsey will happily advise you that mainland England is a colony of the Channel Islands.

tac

Informative post. Thanks

The uk regulations on explosives have been amended
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/
    The above link will take you to the site ,surprisingly (or not) this does not seem to have been publicised much if at all.
    The only other control has been the requirement to show FAC to obtain primers ,& as yet no others that I am aware of .
    I did see a suggestion that the uk may introduce firearms licensing in the banding system that is used in NI/ ROI - just thought I would add that as a point of interest.

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    The uk regulations on explosives have been amended
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/
    The above link will take you to the site ,surprisingly (or not) this does not seem to have been publicised much if at all.
    The only other control has been the requirement to show FAC to obtain primers ,& as yet no others that I am aware of .
    I did see a suggestion that the uk may introduce firearms licensing in the banding system that is used in NI/ ROI - just thought I would add that as a point of interest.

ATB
    James
    Where id you see that, please?

IMO the adoption of ANY part of the current licensing fiasco in the Republic of Ireland, that has over 600 High Court cases waiting to be processed at public expense, would be a very retrograde step.

If you really want to see empty cartridge cases classed as live ammunition, air gun pellets on a gun license and often required to be bought a hundred at a time, ALL airguns above 1 Joule m/e licensed and a separate license for each and every firearm you possess, that's up to you, but I'd rather hang on to the system that pertains in the greater part of the UK, thank you.

Add to that a bunch of stumblebum so-called experts, one of whom advised a court that a .308Win was deadly at 5 miles, and that it was just dandy to refuse a previous licensee his renewal for a .303 Lee-Enfield because it was 'too accurate' to be held by a civilian, and you can see why our OP is p!ssed off.

I am, too, which is why a couple of us have put together another reminder of the difference between common-sense and downright idiocy for the DoJ if the RoI, who, it seems, have genuine problems deternining the difference.

tac
    vcrai.com

I can't recall exactly where I saw it but a link below shows the proposal for NI which could be used as a trial to see how it works and them implemented in the mainland

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/index/public...earms-fees.pdf

I hasten to add that this is supposition only
    ATB

James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    I can't recall exactly where I saw it but a link below shows the proposal for NI which could be used as a trial to see how it works and them implemented in the mainland

http://www.dojni.gov.uk/index/public...earms-fees.pdf

I hasten to add that this is supposition only
    ATB

James
    Thanks for that link, VERY interesting it is too, and I recommend that everybody in this thread read it.

As you can see, over in NI a DEALER may carry out the variation to the FAC on a one-for-one basis - a VERY useful little kink that does not pertain the mainland UK. The part about the 'banding' is also of interest, although, for reasons that are not explone, calibres over .458 Win Mag are not mentioned. That leaves out the number of earlier BP cartridges that were bigger than .458Win mag - the Martini-Henry .450-577 and the .577 Snider, for a start, as well as most every muzzle-loading BP rifle or musket over .45 calibre. like the Pattern 53 Enfield and Springfield [.577cal], Charleville musket [.69cal, Baker [.62cal rifled] and Brown Bess[.69 and .75cal].

No doubt, over there, with a large number of real experts who actually know what they are talking about, an equable agreement that makes everybody happy will be the result.

As for me and my POV, we could certainly take a leaf out of the pages of the NI FL&EB, and let us have our handguns back.

tac

Duplication of post! Sorry
    Last edited by ivanthehunter; 07-12-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Muzzle loaders werent specificly mentioned so flagging them might be an error,
    Tac
    The document makes for interesting reading, and a band system seems to be trying to categorise calibre types for substations and thus provide certainty, at least when compaired to the republic of Ireland debacle of a system where police (Garda) seem to make up their own 'cop rules' and there is little to no licencing consistences from on jurisdiction to the next.

Air rifles usage for 12year olds! Great stuff, get them off the streets and into the feilds and farms were kids belong!

NI acceptance of Uk FACs with no red tape needed! Of course thats great news for shooters! It's just a pity that ROI Fac aren't also recognised in NI and we to could reciprocate the idea. Such an idea would easily work here because if the islands physical confines IMO.

As to the fees proposed, well no body likes paying extra money and one has to ask if general taxation does not already cover police work! Will we see police charging for call out's to burglars? No we wont be cause tax payers already pay for police services.

A fee to just apply! Totally over the top with this suggestion. I can see Ireland paying off the IMF if that was introduced in the republic with the amount of applicationS that go missing! Not lol this time.

Have these fees been introduced yet

Quote Originally Posted by ivanthehunter View Post
    Muzzle loaders werent specificly mentioned so flagging them might be an error,
    Perhaps so. There WERE, until recently, a number of re-enactors in the Republic of Ireland who DID have muzzle-loaders for the purpose of live public performance re-enacting, like the annual reminder of the Siege of Drogheda and so on. They did NOT have permission to use them with live shot or ball for sporting purposes as we do here in the rest of the world.

However, following an incident that took place last year at a public display, where a ramrod was inadvertantly left in the bore and launched in the general direction of a crowd of onlookers, such public displays involving groups of people with BP firearms are now banned. This has not made any difference to the public display of the firing of midday cannons, as seen on the Spike Island cannon shoot. A group of uniformed military re-enactors standing there at midday, simultaneously shouting 'BOOM!', is a sight that even the kill-joy politicians in the Dáil would hesitate to insist upon.

I'm prepared to be corrected on this, as on any other subject.

And just a gentle reminder that Northern Ireland is part of the UK, although it does indeed have slightly different gun laws, more lenient is some respects (handguns), and harsher in others (airguns and propellants). The United Kingdom consists of the big island - Great Britain - and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is also the only part of the United Kingdom where any large numbers of CCW permits have been issued - some 3000 at the present time.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.