Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold blue question

Cold blue question

Hi all,

I have a Webley Senior in very good condition.

I touched in a few small small areas of worn finish with cold blue which came out reasonably well but not a perfect match. I'm just wondering whether the new 'blue' finish is the same chemical compound achieved through the original bluing process or something completely different?

Cheers,

Matt

Cold blues are something completely different than hot caustic blue.

They wear away fast too, and you never get rid of the smell... Besides I think they are quite toxic.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Webley Senior in very good condition.

I touched in a few small small areas of worn finish with cold blue which came out reasonably well but not a perfect match. I'm just wondering whether the new 'blue' finish is the same chemical compound achieved through the original bluing process or something completely different?

Cheers,

Matt

No they are not chemically the same. The factory "blue" is jet black magnetic iron oxide, produced by the action of hot salts, and has good wear resistance and protective properties. Cold "blues" generally produce a selenium compound coated on the surface of the steel, which will have a lighter shade of black and will wear off much more easily.

Thanks both! That's interesting information. Don't think I'll be using the cold blue again.

Cheers,

Matt

Done hundreds of rifles and pistols with no problems (see link). Different colour finishes depending on length of time left on surface. Gingernut on bbs has just done his Bonehill Brittania and got brilliant old brown finish by leaving paste on for 24 hours. I get nice blue by using for 5 minutes.

Baz

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....best-cold-blue
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have successfully used cold blue to 'touch-up' small areas, screw heads etc which if done with care can closely match the original finish. I first started using cold blue on my black powder revolvers, but as has already been mentioned, any heavy handling or cleaning soon removes the rather delicate finish.

Regards

Brian

Some of these products are not as good as a cd marker pen.

But G96 does give good results on older guns.
    It won't work on some more modern guns which have various coatings and alloy content.

I am very pleased with the finish on my Bonehill which is not rubbing off.
    I left the paste on for 30 mins not 24 hours as Baz says above!

But I have a Webley Mk 3 that was re blued by Mr Malloy which I think is a bit better

once I have cold blu'ed I use a clear metal lacquer over the top. this seems to seal in the blue effect better and minimises wear.n then oil over the top of this, Balistoil is good.

Diana 70 series Model 79

Just going to cold blue this rifle which has been rubbed down to the bare metal by the owner. Will take before and after pictures. Have had very little problems blueing most rifles and pistols over the last 20 years and it does not seem to wear off as some people seem to experience. Good preparation of the surface is the key factor as with any finishing treatment.

Baz

I can second G96. Having tried most of the off-the-shelf cold blue liquids and paste, I have found that G96 paste gives you a really good end result. It's quite easy to use too!

will the contents blue more than 1 rifle?,if so roughly how many?,

Martin it is very economical, but it depends on the condition of the existing blue on the rifle. For instance, this morning I repaired and blued this Webley Mark 3, which had bad speckly rust over the whole rifle. After removing rust and buffing on cloth wheel slightly I re-touched the whole surface with just a few dabs of G96. Now looks brilliant. The Diana 79 I am doing next is completely in the white, so I will weigh the amount of paste I use and get an exact result on usage. So far I have done 4 rifles with my present tub and still plenty left. Webley experts, I found the piston on this rifle to be out of round and jamming in the cylinder, had to turn it on the lathe. This seems unusual as it is a well made solid piston. Has anyone found this before, what can cause it ? Serial No A7989.

Baz

thanks for the info,ive used perma blue in the past but it doesnt seem to colour deeply on the edges/angles very well,all the best

Martin, just blued this this Diana 79 from bare white metal, it is a medium size rifle. It took about 18-20 grms of G96 paste which means you could do about 4 to5 rifles from scratch with one tub. This works out at £2.50 each. If I had spent more time on the buffing machine it would have been a shinier finish.

Baz

My biggest problem with cold blue(have tried g96, hoppes, birchwood casey, some german gel, brownells oxpho, and a locally made Norwegian solution) is the wear to a dull grey fast inf you handle the gun much.

Next biggest problem is the smell.