Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daystate magazines causing inaccuracy?

Daystate magazines causing inaccuracy?

Hi All,

My first 'proper' post on here, as a follow-on from my recent 'Stripping PCPs' thread. I have recently picked up a well-used X2R with plastic stock for a decent price, and have restricted myself to shooting it in the back garden at 10m so far. The reason I bought it was that I had heard of the fabled accuracy and engineering goodness of Daystate, and wanted some for myself; however, the rifle just refused to zero when bench supported. Thinking it was the old scope, I put a brand new Hawke Sport on it - no change! A few shots making 1cm holes, then two or three fliers every mag. Where was this fabled 'pellet-on-pellet' I had heard so much about? I cleaned the barrel, removed the moderator and the barrel shroud support - still poor. I should add at this point that there were three 10-shot mags with it, but no single pellet tray.

I then rang an independent Daystate authority with my tale of woe, and straight away he said that it was a well-known issue with the 10-shot mags, and that I should hand feed them.

Today I have done just that, and I cannot believe what has just happened - shooting from a bench bag, I have just put ten pellets through exactly the same hole! Frankly, I'm a little shocked; not by the rifles ability, but by the fact that Daystate's magazines cause so many problems to a pellet as it is chambered that the accuracy is so badly affected.

I'm just off to buy a Westy tray from the website, unless anyone has one they wish to be rid of in .177?

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    I have just bought a new DS and had exactly the same problems shot numbers 3,4,5 and 8 shots would be bad flyers, tried loading from opp side, same problem. I used a Westy single shot tray no problems at all very accurate rifle,but only with it`s single shot tray atb Gordon.

Try "pneumatic ballistcs" for one of their custom 20 shot magazines. I have one for my rapid and it's never let me down in the 3 years I've had it.

Harry is offline World Recoiling Champion 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Hi All,

My first 'proper' post on here, as a follow-on from my recent 'Stripping PCPs' thread. I have recently picked up a well-used X2R with plastic stock for a decent price, and have restricted myself to shooting it in the back garden at 10m so far. The reason I bought it was that I had heard of the fabled accuracy and engineering goodness of Daystate, and wanted some for myself; however, the rifle just refused to zero when bench supported. Thinking it was the old scope, I put a brand new Hawke Sport on it - no change! A few shots making 1cm holes, then two or three fliers every mag. Where was this fabled 'pellet-on-pellet' I had heard so much about? I cleaned the barrel, removed the moderator and the barrel shroud support - still poor. I should add at this point that there were three 10-shot mags with it, but no single pellet tray.

I then rang an independent Daystate authority with my tale of woe, and straight away he said that it was a well-known issue with the 10-shot mags, and that I should hand feed them.

Today I have done just that, and I cannot believe what has just happened - shooting from a bench bag, I have just put ten pellets through exactly the same hole! Frankly, I'm a little shocked; not by the rifles ability, but by the fact that Daystate's magazines cause so many problems to a pellet as it is chambered that the accuracy is so badly affected.

I'm just off to buy a Westy tray from the website, unless anyone has one they wish to be rid of in .177?
    Hi Richard,
    May I just say that the mag you bought off me which will be on its way to you tomorrow morning was putting 10 pellets on top of each other in a MK3 FTR Rifle and that was tested by me,
    I think its the same as everything mate and in all products it seems that the older stuff was built to last where all the new stuff now just aint the same,
    Hope you get better results with this and your feedback would be good.
    Regards Harry.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    Try "pneumatic ballistcs" for one of their custom 20 shot magazines. I have one for my rapid and it's never let me down in the 3 years I've had it.
    May give one of those a try. Will have to give the funds time to recover from recent activity!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hi Richard,
    May I just say that the mag you bought off me which will be on its way to you tomorrow morning was putting 10 pellets on top of each other in a MK3 FTR Rifle and that was tested by me,
    I think its the same as everything mate and in all products it seems that the older stuff was built to last where all the new stuff now just aint the same,
    Hope you get better results with this and your feedback would be good.
    Regards Harry.
    Thanks for that Harry. I think that I'm just irritated that this is potentially something that could put someone off a rifle, without them realising it is all down to a poxy magazine! I'm also wondering if there is anything I can do to the other three that I have to make them work properly too?

Magazine

The pellets need to be seated correctly in the magazine to get accuracy, the pellet waist must sit astride the magazine O ring. Doing this my tests indicated no accuracy delta.

Did this

Quote Originally Posted by stryder5 View Post
    The pellets need to be seated correctly in the magazine to get accuracy, the pellet waist must sit astride the magazine O ring. Doing this my tests indicated no accuracy delta.
    I was very conscious of making sure that pellets sat properly in the o-ring, so there may be something else that is out of alignment, causing scratching or deformation of the pellet as the probe pushes it into the barrel. Hence I'm wondering if there are any particular mods for dodgy DS mags, short of spending £70 on one from Pneumatics Ballistics?

What pellet are you using?
    When I owned that rifle I found it to be very accurate but it hates feeding flat headed pellets through the magazines. It didn't come with a pellet tray when I got it which is why you don't have one. I found I had to use a probe to push the pellet into the magazine.
    The only reason I sold the rifle is that Protek had an as new BSA R10mk2 for a very good price, and I almost regret selling the Daystate now as I quite miss it.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    What pellet are you using?
    When I owned that rifle I found it to be very accurate but it hates feeding flat headed pellets through the magazines. It didn't come with a pellet tray when I got it which is why you don't have one. I found I had to use a probe to push the pellet into the magazine.
    The only reason I sold the rifle is that Protek had an as new BSA R10mk2 for a very good price, and I almost regret selling the Daystate now as I quite miss it.
    Is this serendipity? Yes this is the same rifle, and I'm absolutely loving it now, but I wasn't when it would not group using the mags, plus I was very careful to 'dib' each pellet into its hole before going on to the next. I have tried Hobbies, but have mostly used JSB Exacts, which everyone I have listened to so far have said suit the rifle well. Be interested to know what you got on with best? I think Vic mentioned trying some Accupel? Anyway, as I'm intending to hunt with it on a small permission, it needed to be absolutely spot on, and as it was I became worried that it may not be sensible to use; I'm happy now, I'll just have to single load until I find a mag that works properly (hopefully Harry's). Be reassured that it has gone to a loving home!

Harry is offline World Recoiling Champion 2014
    I used to use JSB's in my MK3 before and used to get cloverleaf which I thought was good until I tried Air Arms 4.52 and it was drilling the same hole each time,

I know most say the the AA & JSB are the same pellet but in my opinion the AA is a much softer pellet and it works for me,

Have you tried AA in yours?

Hope this mag works for you and like I said it was spot on in the FTR but im only selling it as I don't like mags and even for hunting and I've always shot with the normal single shot tray and find this the best way for me.

Atb Harry.

Lube

Thanks Harry, I'll give them a try; think my local shop has them in stock.

Judging by another thread, simply lubing my ring and giving it a stretch might be the way ahead too - looking forward to it already

I used daystate FT which came with it and daystate Li which it lived and any round nosed .177 for plinking.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Li

Been intrigued by the Li since I heard about them; I think the bloke on Ted's Holdover likes them. I'll give them a go too, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Been intrigued by the Li since I heard about them; I think the bloke on Ted's Holdover likes them. I'll give them a go too, thanks.
    The Li's are made by Crosman, same as the Premier Ultra Magnums. They are a harder lead compared to the Daystate FT and Sovereigns, so probably less susceptible to inaccuracy from the magazine
    Ex-Airgunner