Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed please

Help needed please

Ive been out shooting with the lad next door,hes even found us some land to shoot so i owe him really.
    Anyway he uses a webley xcel,its doing 2ft lb??maybe the spring has gone im not sure.The local gun shope quoted nearly £50 to supply and fit a spring!!!!!
    The lad cant afford that,so i was hoping someone on here could fit it for him if i supply the spring?
    Hes new to our sport and keen as mustard but just hasnt got that sort of cash Ive taken him out and taught him all i know(that part didnt take long)but i wouldnt know where to start.
    Please can someone help

I would do it if i were closer.
    £50 for a spring fitting!! robbing gits.
    I would say that if its doing just 2ft lb, he needs to look at replacing seals as well. Still should'nt come to 50 squids though.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

aaront Guest
    Is the £50 to supply the spring and new seals as well as fitting and testing?

they didnt mention the seels,i wouldnt mind but they have just rplaced the cocking arm thing and straightend the barrel,they charged him about £35 obviously they didnt test it after wards and it took them over 6 weeks

RochdaleLad Guest
    Probably be cheaper to buy him a secondhand gun off here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei
    they didnt mention the seels,i wouldnt mind but they have just rplaced the cocking arm thing and straightend the barrel,they charged him about £35 obviously they didnt test it after wards and it took them over 6 weeks
    Its in a bit of a mess isn't it?
    Daves probably right, it would be cheaper to get a replacement than all this work done.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

michaeladkins Guest
    The Excel (from memory) is not toooo hard to respring.

I think the fiddly bit is the trigger but (again from memory) only one component of the trigger needs removing to take out old and replace new spring.

As mentioned above if its only doing 2ft lbs it sounds as if seals are shot too.

I used to have a booklet for an excel - i will have a look tonight in my box of bits and see if i still have it, if so you can have it if its any help.

Michael

Thanks mate that would be helpful,im only geussing about the spring could it be just the seals alone?

shrendi Guest
    What sort of noise does it make?

Like a loud twang

shrendi Guest
    No when you cock it?

It sounds like my 95 only easier to cock

Mortimer Guest
    If it's making a loud twang on firing, could that not indicate that the seals are knackered while the mainspring might be fine? Might be an idea to change the breech seal first - could be something as simple as that maybe.

Spring may be broken, to change spring and check/replace piston washer would take about 20 mins including a cup of coffee, springs are about a fiver and seal probably around the same

Easy to do if you feel confident

Baz

redcatfishjack Guest

Same (ish?)

I've got a manual for an xocet you can have if it's of any help.