Thread: best air gun for £500

best air gun for £500

hi all im quite new here so be gentle
    I shoot a 223 22lr 17hmr
    but am wanting to know what would be the best air rifle
    for aroun the farm ratting crows etc, has the 22lr is lethal for rebounds

thanks in advance cm

Your going to get a lot of answers to this one ..... first off, do you want a springer or a pcp ?
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Secondhand HW100 a nice little breakbarrel like an HW95K.

You won't go wrong with either of those

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

theoben rapid 7 next would be the daystate huntsman classic

Ratting rifle

Depends whether you want a springer or a pre-charged air-rifle and what distance you will be shooting at, if 25 yards or less, my choice would be a springer e.g, HW 95 K in .25 calibre, or a multi shot pre-charged, like a BSA Scorpion or Ultra again in .25 calibre. Any of these rifles would be fine in sub 12 ftlbs, no need for a FAC rifle.

Good luck!!

Tinnie56

A 95 is a lovely thing in .25, keep range to 30 yards max and they are devastating, very easy to shoot also. My old 85 was first built as a .25, sweet as you like, when i sold it on it was converted to .22 and while very nice was just not as nice as it was .25.

If you go PCP a Scopion SE in .25 is what I would get, shoot it for 12 months and save up to get it regulated and tuned...once done you will never look back.

As an experiment i shot a woody in the breast (thru the crop) at 30 yards with my scorpion with 19gr FTT, my mate did the autopsy pretty much right away to see how much damage had been done..the pellet was in the chest cavity, the bird dropped without even a flutter, and this was a turkey sized woody well fed via the grain store. Same gun has now seen off well over 600 rats...cracking piece of kit.

Now, 18gr .22 Exact heavies are also very sweet to shoot on rats, and .22 springers can be very forgiving they shoot well thru PCP's also

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Secondhand HW100 a nice little breakbarrel like an HW95K.

You won't go wrong with either of those
    I agree, especially the HW95k, comes with removable famous HW moderator, compact, and all for under £300 new. Has a new stylish longer stock as well
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

For ratting I would go with a PCP You sometimes need that quick second shot and PCP's are much quieter too. I know rats get spooked very easily. £500 quid should get you a complete setup second hand. I would look for and Air arms S410 or S510 or a HW100
    hoplophobe

My recomendation would be a spring and piston rifle. £500 will get you a very good PCP but then you need recharging gear in the form of a pump which is a real pain or dive cylinders that require testing and continual testing aswell as the addtional cost to your £500 PCP. Springers have done a great job around farm yards for years and for good reason.

£500 will get you pleanty of spring and piston rifle for you money.

I have a Sandwell Field Sporst Imp (HW99s thats tuned and modified) £375 and its fantastic and really accurate, as good as my PCP if I do my bit with no need for charging gear etc and that includes the silencer. The Imp is small/short, light and very effective, absolutely purfect for farm yard pest control and out in the paddocks were you darent use rimfire.

There are other rifles and tuners/ service kits but for me /IMO having tried others, you dont get any better than Tony`s products and workmanship.

ATB

Matt
    Last edited by salop sniper; 25-11-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: pcp coments
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

Quote Originally Posted by Cushty mush View Post
    hi all im quite new here so be gentle
    I shoot a 223 22lr 17hmr
    but am wanting to know what would be the best air rifle
    for aroun the farm ratting crows etc, has the 22lr is lethal for rebounds

thanks in advance cm
    A pre charge (pcp) multi shot would be a better choice of rifle but it would take £100-150 for the charging gear so sticking with £500 total a break barrel is probably better for your budget.

For use on rats & corvids I'd go .22 or .25 for up to 30yds.

Probably the biggest & one of the best name in air rifles is Weihrauch & as Sportsman import them direct from Germany, so have loads on the shelf, to be easy I'd take the drive down the M5 & get some to your shoulder, HW80 or 95 would be my choice plus you'll need a scope.