Thread: 3 Old Air guns turned up!

3 Old Air guns turned up!

It seems air guns are like buses...nothing for ages then 3 at once!

A friend of the family opened a shed to reveal 3 guns that had been "stored" there for 20 years or more...judging by the state of the things this was no exaggeration!

First out was a complete Osprey, needs rebluing, wood ok but no varnish left on it and complete with sights

Second was a Milbro G46, sights all there but I think too far gone

Third was a Diana G4 pistol....needs work but interesting too me as I have never seen one before

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psl1fgwvyk.jpg

Is this lot just more scrap metal or is one or any of them worth rescuing?

I will photo the rifles later....the light was poor earlier.

Is there a date stamp on the stock of the G46? Are you sure it is too far gone? These were one of Milbro's top models in c.1970.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The Milbro stock has broken at the stock screws which are absent, it is held onto the action by a metal band! All bluing is gone but the sights are ong but I just fired it-and it works!? Probably not worth bothering with, it will end up on my to do pile for when I retire...I hope it is a long retirement because that pile is getting rather large!

I will post a pic of the rifles later....the Osprey cocked but would not fire which is disappointing. I also could not find any serial numbers on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlleyland View Post
    The Milbro stock has broken at the stock screws which are absent, it is held onto the action by a metal band! All bluing is gone but the sights are ong but I just fired it-and it works!? Probably not worth bothering with, it will end up on my to do pile for when I retire...I hope it is a long retirement because that pile is getting rather large!

I will post a pic of the rifles later....the Osprey cocked but would not fire which is disappointing. I also could not find any serial numbers on it.
    What a shame. I recently bought a very clean G46 and it shoots very well. They're not all that common.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It's a real shame to see an old gun broken for parts. Far nicer to see something put back in working order and used, even if it looks a bit ratty on the outside. The Milbro rifle does though sound like it may be too far gone.

As for the Osprey, it sounds fixable (faulty/rusted up trigger?). And it is a classic Brum Webley.

A really nice original one would be worth £120-160 (unless it's a walnut stock, or Supertarget, which would be more). A refinished one more like £80-100. So you might not get back what you put into it. And the rear sight alone, if complete, is worth £20+ these days.

My instinct would be to get it working, try some oil and steel wool on it, and enjoy it as what it is.

If you didn't know, the serial should be at the front of the cylinder, on the right, by the rear sight. Is it a .22"? Most seem to be.

Thanks for the tip about the number Geezer. I will have a fiddle with the trigger tomorrow....if it works I will polish the stock up as it is rather nice! Even the Milbro is growing on me, the stock bolts maybe 2ba so I stand half a chance of at least losing the metal strip holding it together...again the grain is nice. These will be plinkers but I am not really into pistols that one is definately for another day!

This is the G46 it is actually firing so I may have a closer look...the Osprey is numbered 04574 and has a 19.3mm barrel...normal? The end sight is metal on the Osprey as well.

As a project I may just get both back to working order...please advise...what would you fellows do? Strip the stocks? Re blue or just a service?

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psuodwdnqz.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psxuy1mzen.jpg

A couple of the Osprey...

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps2yrcvq2r.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/x...psdhynmdxh.jpg

Thanks in advance, your opinions and tips help as I know literally nothing