Thread: Shim Front or Rear Mount?

Shim Front or Rear Mount?

Advice please.

My rifle is shooting high and I've run out of downward adjustment on the scope.

Do I need to shim the front or the rear mount?

Cheers.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Advice please.

My rifle is shooting high and I've run out of downward adjustment on the scope.

Do I need to shim the front or the rear mount?

Cheers.
    You want the scope to point at where the projectile lands, so it needs to point further up, so shim the front.

But are you sure you have been adjusting it in the correct direction? - very unusual to run out of adjustment - are the mounts both the same height? - try swapping the mounts over first.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Correct shim front mount, not on the dovetail.

All scopes differ where the optical zero is some need no tilt whilst seen some from a well known cheapish producer require 70MOA.
    Some scopes don't have much adjustment either.

Cheers Gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    ...are you sure you have been adjusting it in the correct direction? - very unusual to run out of adjustment - are the mounts both the same height?...
    Yep, but FWIW I suspect that I've got a bit of "cheapo mount syndrome" going on.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Cheers Gents.

Yep, but FWIW I suspect that I've got a bit of "cheapo mount syndrome" going on.
    Try swapping the front and rear mounts around (front to back and back to front) - this will reverse whatever height errors they have. Of course then it may shoot way too low, but at least you then know what is causing it.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL