Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what vintage rifle

what vintage rifle

I am looking to acquire a vintage rifle for vermine control in the garden......3 acres of it....squirrels, wood pigeons etc.
    I like the Webley service rifles.......are they powerful enough.....if not are there any other recommendations.

HW35. They are common s/h and still available new, spares are plentiful (new and s/h) full power (in .22) great trigger, easy to work on, robust ...

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I think what you're looking for is a Girandoni. They sometimes turn up and are quite collectible. They'll easily dispatch small game. Downside is parts are hard to get hold of... oh, and theyre quite dear.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I think what you're looking for is a Girandoni. They sometimes turn up and are quite collectible. They'll easily dispatch small game. Downside is parts are hard to get hold of... oh, and theyre quite dear.

The last Girandoni to become available sold for $65,000 US!!
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

A decent Mk1 or Mk2 Airsporter - 0.22 naturally.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Could be struggling there then.

ATB
    Ian

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Bang on and beat me to it - spares a plenty too! (not to mention by far the best looking classic air powered rifle ever!)

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

mk 111

if you like the webley stuff try the webley mark 111 will ,last a life time shoot very smoth quiet will take out tree rats ,pigons. ext and it not a bsa.: thats my second choice but like i.j my fist choice is hw35 i like the exsport model with 22inch barrel love them.or somthing newer i like the webley longbow light compact well made gun

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    (not to mention by far the best looking classic air powered rifle ever!)

Airsporterman
    Ive got to agree with you there. THE best looking air rifle closely followed by the FWB Sport and 35 Export (short barrel )

ATB
    Ian

Thx for all of this....does anyone have a view on the Webley service rifle. I've always wanted one but is the power output suitable. Is a Webley mk111 a service rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Could be struggling there then.

ATB
    Ian
    I think an untold number of squirrels and wood pigeon, not to mention rats and rabbits, would disagree.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    Thx for all of this....does anyone have a view on the Webley service rifle. I've always wanted one but is the power output suitable. Is a Webley mk111 a service rifle.
    No, the mk111 is not a Service Rifle.

The Mk3 would definitely be suitable for vermin control at sensible ranges (30 yds or so) whereas I'm not sure the service would have the accuracy and power required.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

edbear2 Guest
    Assuming the O.P. is not using a scope (he mentioned the service rifle!), then obviously I will suggest the Improved Model D (sporting) as a first choice, with the 45" Standard or CS (.22 and .177 respectively) as equally as good for the job, but not quite as nice IMHO.

To the O.P., this is what they look like;

Improved Model D;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31228487@N07/3375320952/

Standard;

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...erial+no.+8248

These are full power rifles, with a good one easily making mid 11's in energy, and in some cases a bit more, although most seem to be mid / high 10's. The 45" Sportings can go over the limit, so if you look at one, make sure it has been chrono tested!

The one fly in the ointment with any vintage .22 British rifle is ammunition as they are 5.6mm not 5.5mm bore, ie "true" .22, so there is a smaller selection of stuff that will work well. Lots of threads and recommendations regarding pellets on here if you go this route.

If you want knock down power and accuracy, the guns above will out perform any older Webley made in sheer power, and match them for accuracy I have found (with good examples).

I suppose the excellent HW can be classed as a classic rather than a vintage gun?...I thought it was 100 years old for vintage in the true sense of the word.

Anyhow, said my bit

ATB, Ed

what vintage

hi if you are in to your webley i would go for a webley tracker there quite powerful and light but my personal choice would be a weihrauch hw35 they are a bit heavy but much more accurate also i would look at a bsa supersport hope this helps

Not knowing what your eyesight is like or how good a shot you are makes this a difficult recommendation.
    All vermin needs to be dispatched cleanly and some of the rifles mentioned rely on the shooter being able to do his bit.

By all means get yourself a Webley Service, but you may want to consider something a bit more user friendly for your pest control.

Hey, there's your excuse to start a collection