Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what vintage rifle

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    In order to consistently hit pigeons or squirrels in the head at the ranges at which they present themselves you will definitely need, as Mr Jones suggests, a Weihrauch HW35 with a scope attached. Leather washer job is fine, old school gloss black 4x scope is fine, but any other rifle and you are going to be taking a chance. Most of the 'vintage' rifles mentioned here don't have scope rails, and most don't have the accuracy necessary for the job. Mk 1 and Mk 2 Airsporters? The Webley Mk III? Good up to about 20 yards - so unless the critters are unusually stupid or drugged, you won't be 'controlling' them at all.

Vintage rifles are fantastic fun, especially the Webley Service Mk 2, but they are for plinking and informal target shooting, admiring and cherishing. Vermin control needs a rifle with top accuracy and a scope, its only an air-rifle with very little killing power, and that needs to be placed exactly for clean kills.

A Pneumatic if..

A pneumatic rifle is so much easier to actually hits things with. Some really great American vintage pneumatic out there that were designed for pest control. Crosman 101, last made in 1950, is superb. The 140 is popular. If you can find a 1400, you have one of the best ever. Some 1400's even come with scope grooves.

Many years back, when I was doing repairs, got a Crosman 114 (bulk co2) rifle that had been purchased new in the early '50s and the only reason it needed repair was that a grandchild decided to do some "repairs." This rifle's only use was pest control on a farm. It was used every season for over 50 years. Got a message a while back from the owner that the 114 was still doing the job but they needed another way of charging it, since the local co2 supply would no longer charge the original Crosman tank. So, that simple, wonderful, accurate, deadly air gun has been working now for over 60 years without failure.

For myself have to agree with Ij, HW35, or what about the awseomly accurate Anschutz 335

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    For myself have to agree with Ij, HW35, or what about the awseomly accurate Anschutz 335
    How could I forget the 335? Or, how about one of the break barrel BSFs? I say, break barrel because I dislike the fixed barrel 54. (To heavy and agricultural IMO.) Or an Original 45.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

If you can aquire a Sharp INNOVA .22 cal. it will do the trick.I'm not sure the 'golden age" Crosmans are very available in the UK

I do my garden vermin with a FWB Sport 124 .177 with an Optima 4x40 scope; or a Theoben Fenman .177 with a little Simmons scope. Occasionally, from an upstairs window I snipe with my Park 91/93 .177 with a B&L 4-12x40 AO scope or a Venom HW77 .177 with a B&L 6-24x40 AO. The last two are by far the most accurate and shooter friendly, though also on the heavy side. Anything with a spring power plant in it takes regular practice and really need to be shot at farmyard ranges.. 25m or under.

Webley MKIII, plus a lot of older stuff really aren't good enough for head shots (which is the modern method of dispatch).

Other good rifles are the Webley Omega .22, Original 45 or a HW77 .177. But if you are only getting one rifle then a Theoben would be my choice as they are the best compromise between classic, accuracy, feel like a springer but more forgiving, and they aren't made any more.

For lighter weight spring rifles keep to squirrels at point blank. For 35m shots then use something heavy to tame the spring vibrations/hold sensitivity. Accuracy is everything when it comes to bagging critters which is why .177 is king, though I use .22 at rats and tree rats.

Superstar

Why no mention of the BSA Superstar?

MY .177 mk1 will do regular 15mm sized groups at 35 yds. Even the BSA trigger is good on the Superstar, don't think BSA ever improved on this design.

I think the OP is looking for a rifle that harks back to the pre war years than more recent decades,maybe he could clarify?

Why vintage for hunting if I may ask?
    The mk3ás dont all have dovetails for scope. And I very much doubt ány webley servicerifle will have dovetail.
    And scope is, imo, best and most accurate way for hunting.

I'd say, try find a bit more recent 'youngtimer', like an Omega, Vulcan, Hawke, Tracker/Viscount/Osprey etc. The mentioned FWB and Anschutz are very good too.
    There's not much fun in buying an oldie HW35 imo, as they still make them new..
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    There's not much fun in buying an oldie HW35 imo, as they still make them new..
    Aye, but the older pre safety catch and leather main washer '35s are a joy to own and shoot.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Aye, but the older pre safety catch and leather main washer '35s are a joy to own and shoot.
    You will not beat a early hw80, when you load a hw35 the click will make sure there is nothing to shoot,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    You will not beat a early hw80, when you load a hw35 the click will make sure there is nothing to shoot,
    The click disappears when a nylon roller is fitted in place of the steel one on the cocking link

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    The click disappears when a nylon roller is fitted in place of the steel one on the cocking link

John
    Thats good, his best bet then is a vixen with the nylon roller fitted,

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    A pneumatic rifle is so much easier to actually hits things with. Some really great American vintage pneumatic out there that were designed for pest control. Crosman 101, last made in 1950, is superb. The 140 is popular. If you can find a 1400, you have one of the best ever. Some 1400's even come with scope grooves.

Many years back, when I was doing repairs, got a Crosman 114 (bulk co2) rifle that had been purchased new in the early '50s and the only reason it needed repair was that a grandchild decided to do some "repairs." This rifle's only use was pest control on a farm. It was used every season for over 50 years. Got a message a while back from the owner that the 114 was still doing the job but they needed another way of charging it, since the local co2 supply would no longer charge the original Crosman tank. So, that simple, wonderful, accurate, deadly air gun has been working now for over 60 years without failure.
    I'm curious, Dean, what sort of muzzle energy did the old Crosmans produce?

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    If you can aquire a Sharp INNOVA .22 cal. it will do the trick.I'm not sure the 'golden age" Crosmans are very available in the UK
    You're right, Trev, they are rarely seen over here. But strangely enough there is a 140 for sale here:

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/crosman-140...ir-Guns/708268
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Why not just get one, you obviously want one. Get it sorted & have a bit of practise & see what it's good for.
    Probably not too much but it should be OK for close range stuff, & it will always be up for some plinking.
    If you want something with a bit more capability get a budget break barrel from Hatsan or similar. If you want to stay retro my BSA Mercury & Airsporter do well, but of course an old HW would be better.