Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: regulator fitting issues

his youtube channel might be of help?

https://www.youtube.com/user/AirgunRegulators/

if not contact him directly.

www.airgunregulators.com

success me thinks!

Well ladies and gents I do believe, as the title says...a regulated s310/410 build up.

After the last issues I stripped down again and on inspection discovered the knife edge of the piston was far from square. And following a bit of head scratching on how to best true it I finally managed to get it mounted in a collet in the lathe tool post, meaning I could adjust for square on the compound slide with a centre drill mounted run the lathe chuck as a cutting tool. Piston cured.

So now reassembled, a bit of adjustment on the reg to get the pressure back to 100 bar...its holding air in both the main and stand of air chambers.

Tweaking the valve spring I'm at 11.2 ft lbs with field diablo. And while I haven't yet completed a good shot velocity table to see exactly how consistent it is, initial results seem promising. And while just tinkering in the back garden I took about 40 shots before recharging via stirrup pump and the pressure had only dropped from 190 bar to around the 140/150 bar area so I am feeling that I should get a good 80 shots if not more.

Happy...yes.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkieRM View Post
    So now reassembled, a bit of adjustment on the reg to get the pressure back to 100 bar...its holding air in both the main and stand of air chambers.
    Tweaking the valve spring I'm at 11.2 ft lbs with field diablo.
    Is that with the ptfe tape as Wonkas asked?
    If its made right shouldn't need to ptfe tape, its same design as the 1983 McGraw reg and either of the two piston o rings have gone or the bore scored.

They don't use much air at that velocity, up it a bit and shot count will substantially go down.

Yeah I do still have a little PTFE tape round the reg body. I think that where I had to hone the cylinder so much to get the deep scratch that was in it out I have opened it up a little bit so that the o rings I have are not quite man enough. I have some very slightly bigger ones on order, but while its air tight I am a bit loathed to strip and clean it again...the only way I have to charge is via stirrup pump so I've had some good workouts filling, testing, draining, adjusting valves and reg, re filling and so on. If it goes wring or empties its self then I will try the bigger section seals...but for now we are air tight and running well.

I reamed the transfer ports out to 3.2mm while it was stripped last too, not really taken any meat out but just heated up the drillings.

As for upping the the velocity and loosing shot numbers...to be honest I'd happily turn it down to get more shots from it. I have made this gun up for 2 reasons...learn more about the intricate workings of PCP guns...and finish with something nice to shoot, accurate and most importantly quiet that I can shoot in the back garden.

So all in all I am pretty happy with my first PCP venture...but I do still prefer my springer!

One tip I can give you is sometimes power on the Air Arms s300....400 & Early EV2 can drop, sometimes quite suddenly. On the EV2 it was/is common for the regulator to take the blame.
    What happens is the Valve "flattens" slightly, you can't see it. Once replaced power is often restored. Hope this helps.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!