Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading liability insurance ?

Question Reloading liability insurance ?

Got a query from a friend in CI, does anyone take out extra insurance to reload as to cover injury to third party and do you sell/swop reloads with friends or fellow club members, cheers Tezz

short answer you should never swap reloads from one rifle/pistol to another.if you load for someone else you leave yourself open .i will be very supprised if any one would insure a home loader with no qualifications.

It's actually illegal to sell home loads. To sell ammo you have to submit loads to the proof house I believe

insurance

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    short answer you should never swap reloads from one rifle/pistol to another.if you load for someone else you leave yourself open .i will be very supprised if any one would insure a home loader with no qualifications.
    that's what I thought Mike, and no I don't, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    Got a query from a friend in CI, does anyone take out extra insurance to reload as to cover injury to third party and do you sell/swop reloads with friends or fellow club members, cheers Tezz
    Part 1 of your post.

No.

Part 2 of your post.

Swap?

Yes.

Sell?

No.

In general, it is an offence to manufacture ammunition for sale that has not been subjected to the testing rigours of CIP ammunition inspection and proofing. Since the Channel Islands are indisputably part of Europe, but effectively independent of the United Kingdom in their position as Crown Dependencies that do not have a native firearms or ammunition manufacturing facility, your pal would have to approach the relevant government of whichever of the islands he is on and ask them to apply for membership to the CIP, and thus gain access to proofing facilities that are not currently present in the Channel Islands.

Sure, lots of us swap ammunition on a 'here, try this out' basis, but actually making ammunition for sale without any of the above having been successfully carried out is an offence all over Europe.

Anyhow, there's no need to be confused - right now, IF he intends to do what you say are his intentions, that of illegally manfacturing small-arms ammunition for sale without a license to do so, pay him a visit while he's a free man.

tac

As above you leave your self open just giving someone a mag of home loads. I would never use or offer personal loadings in any shape or form to anyone, you just don't know there reloading Knowledge, condition of equipment used or the state that person was in when reloading.

Give it an M50 ring road miss

Someone using rounds reloaded by others below '' I didn't load these Brian did''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI

David.
    Last edited by david1123; 26-11-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Says it all really

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Can any of the people on here stating that the proof of ammunition (offered for sale) is a mandatory legal requirement, actually point to the relevant Statute?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    Can any of the people on here stating that the proof of ammunition (offered for sale) is a mandatory legal requirement, actually point to the relevant Statute?
    This took 0.000015 seconds to find. Are you calling us out on this as a bunch of stumblebums?

Extract from the Firearms Act -

Business and other transactions with firearms and ammunition.E+W+S(1)A person commits an offence if, by way of trade or business, he—
    (a)manufactures, sells, transfers, repairs, tests or proves any firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or a shot gun; F4. . .
    (b)exposes for sale or transfer, or has in his possession for sale, transfer, repair, test or proof any such firearm or ammunition, or a shot gun, [F5or
    (c)sells or transfers an air weapon, exposes such a weapon for sale or transfer or has such a weapon in his possession for sale or transfer,]
    without being registered under this Act as a firearms dealer.

We don't make this stuff up, y'know, just to make you feel bad.

Also, please note for future reference that United Kingdom is one of the signaturees of the CIP - please read -

The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Épreuve des armes à feu portatives (Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms – commonly abbreviated as C.I.P. or CIP) is an international organisation which sets standards for safety testing of firearms. (The word portatives (portable) in the name refers to the fact the C.I.P. tests small arms almost exclusively; it is ordinarily omitted from the English translation of the name.) As of 2014, its members are the national governments of 14 countries, of which 12 are in Europe. The C.I.P. safeguards that all firearms and ammunition sold to civilian purchasers in member states are safe for the users.

To achieve this, all such firearms are first proof tested at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses. The same applies for cartridges; at regular intervals, cartridges are tested against the C.I.P. pressure specifications at the ammunition manufacturing plants and at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses.

A sample batch of the manufactured ammunition, usually 1000 rounds of each type - is submitted to either the London or Birmingham Proof Houses for testing.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 27-11-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    This took 0.000015 seconds to find. Are you calling us out on this as a bunch of stumblebums?

Extract from the Firearms Act -

Business and other transactions with firearms and ammunition.E+W+S(1)A person commits an offence if, by way of trade or business, he—
    (a)manufactures, sells, transfers, repairs, tests or proves any firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or a shot gun; F4. . .
    (b)exposes for sale or transfer, or has in his possession for sale, transfer, repair, test or proof any such firearm or ammunition, or a shot gun, [F5or
    (c)sells or transfers an air weapon, exposes such a weapon for sale or transfer or has such a weapon in his possession for sale or transfer,]
    without being registered under this Act as a firearms dealer.

We don't make this stuff up, y'know, just to make you feel bad.

Also, please note for future reference that United Kingdom is one of the signaturees of the CIP - please read -

The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Épreuve des armes à feu portatives (Permanent International Commission for the Proof of Small Arms – commonly abbreviated as C.I.P. or CIP) is an international organisation which sets standards for safety testing of firearms. (The word portatives (portable) in the name refers to the fact the C.I.P. tests small arms almost exclusively; it is ordinarily omitted from the English translation of the name.) As of 2014, its members are the national governments of 14 countries, of which 12 are in Europe. The C.I.P. safeguards that all firearms and ammunition sold to civilian purchasers in member states are safe for the users.

To achieve this, all such firearms are first proof tested at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses. The same applies for cartridges; at regular intervals, cartridges are tested against the C.I.P. pressure specifications at the ammunition manufacturing plants and at C.I.P. accredited Proof Houses.

A sample batch of the manufactured ammunition, usually 1000 rounds of each type - is submitted to either the London or Birmingham Proof Houses for testing.

tac

:-)

I didn't ask whether or not an RFD is required to sell ammunition. It isn't. It is only required if the sale is by way of trade or business.

A non-RFD person does not commit an offense under the firearms acts if he sells ammunition to a person authorised to purchase it, so long as is not by way of trade or business.

What I asked, in what I thought was a fairly unambiguous question was could you or one of the others stating that CIP proof testing is mandatory for ammunition offered for sale identify the relevant legislation.

Your long and and condescending reply fails singularly to answer my question. i.e. You have failed to identify the relevant piece of UK legislation that makes this an offence.

So I will repeat the question, can you identify the Statute that makes the sale of ammunition that has not been proof tested illegal within the UK?
    Last edited by Dogbert; 28-11-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    No specific insurance.

No sale of reloaded ammo (I thought that it was illegal but cannot substantiate that).

The very occasional "here try these" at the range, but only to or from people I know and trust.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

not being funny but i take more care with the making of my loads than any ammo you could buy of the shelf.every case inspected visually and length checked with verniers,every powder measure checked to a tolerance of +/- .1 of a gr.last but not least overall length checked on every round.being an engineer by trade everything i make is as good as i can make it

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    A non-RFD person does not commit an offense under the firearms acts if he sells ammunition to a person authorised to purchase it, so long as is not by way of trade or business.

If you don't like my answer, I suggest that you find an answer one that you DO like for yourself.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 28-11-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    It's actually illegal to sell home loads. To sell ammo you have to submit loads to the proof house I believe
    As well as complying with the Health and Safety Exec rules!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    If you don't like my answer, I suggest that you find an answer one that you DO like for yourself.

tac
    Your quote is of part of my reply that was about your answer to a question I didn't ask. I didn't ask about the legality about non-RFD entities selling ammunition, because I know the answer.

I asked a question that I don't know the answer to. Your original post would indicate that you do know the answer. I'd be greatly appreciative if you were willing to provide the answer.