Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: really need some help guy's

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    In recent years I have only bought face to face, so not really switched on to the whole postal things with guns.

But, assuming the seller is private, could he get it to his local RFD and send on to your local RFD?

I realise this would incur additional cost, but should be safe.

I wouldn't have a clue as to which couriers RFDs use, too.
    This is a very interesting point. IF a pressure vessel either empty or full is a prohibited item then it is presumably prohibited to the RFD community as well???? I am unaware of the RFD network around the UK having its own courier system and fail to understand why it should be 'safe' for them and 'dangerous' for us.
    So what is going on here? Perhaps a member on here who is also a RFD could answer this question?
    In the real world unaffected by paranoia air rifles are sent PF48 every day. They arrive-more or less on time and, in my experience anyway, undamaged. I used to use RMSD but it seems that the 900mm length restriction now only applies to tubes rather than boxes so now PF is the only way to go. Again simply splitting the rifle into stock and action in order to make a shorter package is a good idea for a variety of reasons so that is what I have done for years. Also where the trigger mech is easily detachable from the action it might be a good idea to take that off too and pack it separately. In other words anything to disguise the identity of the item being sent. If a query arose-it NEVER has with me and I have sent dozens of rifles through the post over the years-describe the item as 'sporting goods'.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 27-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by DEGS View Post
    As from a previous thread from kevin42

Keep teeling you lot to use interparcel.com

£7 tracked and signed for, nuff said

Kevin

worth a try ??
    And we keep telling you, THEY'RE PROHIBITED

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Use an RFD at each end...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Use an RFD at each end...
    Jon see my post above!
    Pressure vessels seem to be the problem rather than rifles which can go via PF48 albeit under insured. If such an item is prohibited for you and me on SAFETY grounds then surely it must be prohibited for them to because I'm sure they don't send a buddy bottle in a steel container as they do for some US bound firearms.. A pressure vessel if deemed to be 'dangerous' even if empty (yes I know what a joke) SURELY doesn't lose its danger just because a RFD sent it.
    Or is it magically transformed into something else totally safe?

RFD,s use TNT,and have an account with them, so pressurised vessels must be less dangerous in transport, when you have an account

As i have said before, it is up to the individual, but i am happy to take the chance with PF48, as long as the person at the other end is also, completely empty any pcp i am posting, so unless the worker processing it through PF drops it on his toes, it wont harm them....but you better go overboard on your packing, because thair is no comeback, if you pack it shabbily, and its damaged....I repeat, it is a personal choice of mine to take the risk, it might not be for everyone
    Good deals with.. Ian Tolley,roughshooter,billyboy,LUVGUNS,PINNACLE,TTL Paul,UK Neil,whitevanman574,learningcurve + Sarah,David TS,likom12.Sak,straut.tracker73,chris.e,,Loads more,to many to mention..

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    This is a very interesting point. IF a pressure vessel either empty or full is a prohibited item then it is presumably prohibited to the RFD community as well???? I am unaware of the RFD network around the UK having its own courier system and fail to understand why it should be 'safe' for them and 'dangerous' for us.
    So what is going on here? Perhaps a member on here who is also a RFD could answer this question?
    In the real world unaffected by paranoia air rifles are sent PF48 every day. They arrive-more or less on time and, in my experience anyway, undamaged. I used to use RMSD but it seems that the 900mm length restriction now only applies to tubes rather than boxes so now PF is the only way to go. Again simply splitting the rifle into stock and action in order to make a shorter package is a good idea for a variety of reasons so that is what I have done for years. Also where the trigger mech is easily detachable from the action it might be a good idea to take that off too and pack it separately. In other words anything to disguise the identity of the item being sent. If a query arose-it NEVER has with me and I have sent dozens of rifles through the post over the years-describe the item as 'sporting goods'.
    1) The rules and lists of prohibited items is different for commercial customers I'm led to believe.
    2) Usually you're quite right 99.9% of the time your parcel will arrive intact and unmolested - this however excludes RMSD which apparantly WILL be x-rayed if sent north of the border and will be destroyed if it contains pressurised gas tanks (even empty ones) there are also some claims of this happening on longer journeys down south as well - this is completely at your risk and pretty well known now.
    3) The problem is if your parcel is the 0.01% that does go missing or gets damaged
    - If its legal and sent RMSD you will be alright if you insured it at the correct level.
    - If you sent it PF48, your compensation is limited to £100 as enhanced compensation is not available for guns.
    4) If you're happy to take the risk and not start bleating about it if it all goes wrong- then you can either use these or be unspecific about what the package contains and use a one of the cheaper serices such as myHermes or Interparcel.
    5) If you're not willing to risk it though that leaves collection by yourself or a mate or the RFD route.

Its not really that complicated, just a choice....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    1) The rules and lists of prohibited items is different for commercial customers I'm led to believe.
    2) Usually you're quite right 99.9% of the time your parcel will arrive intact and unmolested - this however excludes RMSD which apparantly WILL be x-rayed if sent north of the border and will be destroyed if it contains pressurised gas tanks (even empty ones) there are also some claims of this happening on longer journeys down south as well - this is completely at your risk and pretty well known now.
    3) The problem is if your parcel is the 0.01% that does go missing or gets damaged
    - If its legal and sent RMSD you will be alright if you insured it at the correct level.
    - If you sent it PF48, your compensation is limited to £100 as enhanced compensation is not available for guns.
    4) If you're happy to take the risk and not start bleating about it if it all goes wrong- then you can either use these or be unspecific about what the package contains and use a one of the cheaper serices such as myHermes or Interparcel.
    5) If you're not willing to risk it though that leaves collection by yourself or a mate or the RFD route.

Its not really that complicated, just a choice....
    Fine as far as it goes but you don't address the point of safety in transit which I understand is the reason given for refusal. Either an empty pressure vessel is dangerous or it isn't. So why should this particular item be singled out for special treatment when it isn't dangerous?
    As you say-not complicated just a choice but I like to know the reason why an empty pressure vessel should be treated in this way. I'm genuinely puzzled.

Fine as far as it goes but you don't address the point of safety in transit which I understand is the reason given for refusal. Either an empty pressure vessel is dangerous or it isn't. So why should this particular item be singled out for special treatment when it isn't dangerous?
    As you say-not complicated just a choice but I like to know the reason why an empty pressure vessel should be treated in this way. I'm genuinely puzzled.
    The contract is that a commercial client will undertake not to send pressurised cylinders, where as the general public cannot give that undertaking so the facility is unavailable.

Transit is not the only issue, it is with the mechanical system used to sort the parcels that also requires the rule to be required.

It's not good for us air gunners but the rule is not aimed solely at us...

[PHP]where is the gun going from?[/PHP]

I suspect the same reason RM dropped the size limit on SD to 610mm, so they could stop the transporting of most air rifles.

OK I can see why they would not want to carry any pressurised vessels (especially the way they throw parcels around) and it would be unreasonable to check to see if they were empty.

I also asked my local RFD the cost for them to send a rifle for me £35+£10 for courier and they needed to see a copy of the other RFD’s ticket.
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

RFD to RFD why risk loosing you new gun better safe than gun less
    .177 STEYR HUNTING SCOUT SA FULL CARBON SHROUD BUSHNELL ELITE 4200

Jon see my post above!
    Pressure vessels seem to be the problem rather than rifles which can go via PF48 albeit under insured. If such an item is prohibited for you and me on SAFETY grounds then surely it must be prohibited for them to because I'm sure they don't send a buddy bottle in a steel container as they do for some US bound firearms.. A pressure vessel if deemed to be 'dangerous' even if empty (yes I know what a joke) SURELY doesn't lose its danger just because a RFD sent it.
    Or is it magically transformed into something else totally safe?
    They have a licence to carry certain goods for commercial users,

They do NOT have the licence to carry those same goods for the general public, who are deemed to be more of a risk, possibly due to not knowing how to safely pack items or being trusted to do so.

or so I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Not strictly true, the problem is the compressed air cylinder...if you seperate the cylinder you half your risk as the rest of the gun is permitted goods under RM rules.
    Although the cylinder is not a permitted item and will be destroyed if found, its unlikely as Parcelforce 48 is road freight and to my knowledge not x-rayed like some Special Delivery items particularly those going to/from north of the border....but its at your risk.
    BTW note the compensation limits on PF48 if its an expensive gun....as extended compensation is not available on guns.
    ^^This post covers it spot on^^

I've used RMSD for pistols (full compensation) with no co2 clearly and Parcel force 48 for rifles (up to £100 compo ) which includes a lot of airsoft as well and never had an issue.

Guys I really cant thank you all enough for all your help and priceless advice

I really have had a nightmare trying to sort this out so much so that even the seller has had enough of me

Anyways I just wanted to share with you guys should you find yourself in the same position I have found a courier who will transport airguns and they are ukmail.com and at very good prices too!

Once again thanks for all the offers of help and understanding as many folks are.not like this!

Big thumbs up.to you all

But their terms and conditions say they prohibit firearms and weapons - would this not include air rifles/pistols ?