Thread: Calipers?

Calipers?

I was faffing around measuring some cases and stuff last night when my fairly venerable digital calipers started to give some very odd readings shifting from metric to imperial at random and showing manifestly incorrect lengths. I swapped the batteries a couple of times for fresh but no improvement so I have decided to buy some new ones.

I know I can pick a set up for less than £10 but suspect I may need to pay more so I would welcome recommendations for a good reliable and adequately accurate set that will last for years and maintain accuracy. I would prefer digital.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Mitutoyo are often thought of as being the dogs, Moore and Wright are well worth a look. Some people will poopoo these but there was a set where I used to work and I must have checked them against my expensive Snap On ones (made by Mitutoyo so the snap on guy said) a dozen times and they always read within .01mm of each other, usually read exactly the same: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...C=SRC-calipers For the money I was impressed, perhaps they were a one in a hundred good set but I couldn't fault em! I went somewhere the other day and was loaned a Sealey unit, it was all silver and may as well been made of chocolate for all the good it was.

The Carrera Precision ones get some good press but I've never used them before.

Which ever ones you think you might go for do a little Google and just check them out before you part with your cash.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Had the same problem with a cheap set i had, this week i got a Mitutoyo and back in business

Plus one on Mitutoyo. I use mine for reloading and work.