Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guns you got and was dissapointed with

guns you got and was dissapointed with

Ok, I will kick this of. For me it was the FWB Sport its a great rifle in so many ways, light accurate and ok on the power front with out being unmananagable but, I dont/ didnt like the cheapo back sight with imprecise slide adjustment or the bent metal pressing saftey catch. So what do you lot think

Everything that I have ever owned by Gamo!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Have to say I like my 1979 vintage Statical in .22 and my Paratropper allso in .22 circa 1974 But thanks for your inputt.

Relum Tornado

The Relum was the first legitimate gun I bought (after I bought a BSA meteor behind my parents back). I went through the honeymoon period as per but soon worked out what it was and what it's limitations were. I had some fun with it and it was ok for bluebottles at eight yards but soon had an HW itch that had to be scratched.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I've always been very happy with my Gamo Center underlever pistol, which still shoots very well after 40 years or so.

FAS 6004 (not to be confused with the classic FAS 604 )

I had waited months for its arrival so I bought one of the first available. The shots were going to low at 10m so I adjusted the back sight to its maximum (no force) and the thread stripped. 2mm steel threaded rod into ally with the detent hole right next to it so you couldn't increase its size. NOT my idea of good engineering. God knows what the sears were made of. It only lasted two days - less than 200 shots.
    Swapped it back, no probs, for a s/h FWB100

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

My biggest disappointment ? … A 35E Vixen.

Around 1980 I bought a new HW35E Vixen - mail order.
    I bought it to use for hunting not collecting. I was disappointed from day one.
    I was 35 years younger then and when I complained about the lack of power and was told it would improve with age I believed it.
    Looking back I think you could just about see the pellet leave the barrel. Things didn’t get better with time.

I took it to Manchester Airguns who chrono’d it and laughed.
    I remember the gun having a chrome spring / piston sleeve ????
    Anyway, MAG didn’t have a replacement chrome spring so a standard spring was fitted.
    It changed the gun completely. A standard spring though. It should have a chrome spring being a “ Vixen “
    A year or two later I swapped it for a boxed 0.25 Service , which I still have.

My Vixen came with a sheep skin lined cover and a HW Test Target.
    I still have the cover and possibly the Test Target.
    I’ll have a rummage for the target as It may have the guns Ser No on it ???
    If so , It would be interesting to see if the gun still survives and if its owned by a BBS member.

10 or so years ago , I was offered a HW35E by a Theoben employee , who had fettled the gun.
    I still have this as well , and I think this is how all HW35E’s should be.
    I don’t use it that much , as it is still nearly mint and I have a HW100 for hunting with these days.

And lastly , I bought Garvin’s 1950’s Burgo 35E a few years ago. I still have that also.
    That’s a lovely gun.

Sam

Mine was my first proper rifle the hw35 export, my friend had a hw80 mk1 and I felt like I had grandads rifle. When I finally got it chrono graphed it had to go! That was 30 years ago and would love to have it back now!

Nice thread idea Dave I totally agree with you about the FWB Sport (although I've never quite owned one myself, but I've used a few)... You do realise you'll have the FWB Sport Appreciation Society (FWB SAS) after you, if they see this thread! They come at night, mostly

My big disappointment was the Sharp Innova.

Click clack (this thing is horribly made of painted metal and plastic. Not even the barrel is blued).

Click clack (must remember not to hold the pistol grip while pumping, or the stock screw can strip the threads).

Click clack (ok, so I bridge my finger & thumb over the scope, to hold it by the plastic breech).

Click clack (ugh, this thing feels nasty)

Click clack (right that'll do. if I keep going its gonna break).

Load - Aim - Fire (where did that go? How long is it going to take to zero this thing? And the trigger is hard & horrible).

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Cometa Indian - absolutely the worst trigger of any pistol I've tried to date including those made 70 years earlier from a bent spoon!

Hi Rick, thanks. No I do have and like much of my Fwb Sport 127 but I am not blinded by it either and if that offends some then thats there problem I have Sharps an Innova in .22 and a Ace in .177, I like them and have a few pump ups including a Sheridan and numerioues Crosmans. However I agree can be a pain( literally for me due to arm/hand damadge) but allso great fun. All guns have some faults, theres no perfect gun, the closest for me is my SFS Banshee2 in .177 I got myself in 2010 when I had to finish work due to ill health . Its sits in a GINB stock , toped with an EB opti 2 scope and is a joy to use. Tony Wall is a man who knows his stuff and SFS in my opinion should get more preaise. Then at the other end of the scale is the excellent bespoke and specific kits my good mate Will Gerke makes and has fitted to many of my springers, again this Guy is good at what He dose and deserves much more praise and not just due to the fact I am lucky to count him has one of my best mates Thanks to you and evreyone else who have contributed to this theard.

Hello Sam and thanks for youre inputt,. I have a Vixen Standard myself in .22, sorry to hear of youre problems with yours. I had something similar with my Jacakel Parabelum in .22 has a 14year old. The front sight was a cheapo plastic affair and couldnt get it to stay fitted on the barrel allso the triguer was a bit iffy, it wouldnt shot some time and other it would go of if you breathed on it It took a visit from some large biker friends of my older sister who was a babe in those days to get it sorted. I dont know what said hells angels did but gun was replaced by gun shop and that one was perfect I love my big sis, even if she isnt so much of a babe these days

Stalker S10
    SH but still expensive
    Complete pain in a.
    3 years owned and still being fixed!!
    To be fair it doesnt leak but everything else is hopeless.
    Latest problem is a rattle from inside and failing to cock now and again.

guns you were dissapointed with

The original mod 50, always wanted one after hearing my older brother talk about the one he owned in the 60's. I got a 1980 model & although it was always accurate for a .22 springer it took me 4 years & a few piston seals & mainsprings to get it above 10ft/lbs . Finally got rid as the short cocking lever & bad leverage brought my tennis elbow back.(it ended up shooting best with a standard hw77 spring & the old leather seal with a ptfe seal behind it.) On the plus side I can rebuild original 3 ball bearing triggers blindfolded!

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    Have to say I like my 1979 vintage Statical in .22 and my Paratropper allso in .22 circa 1974 But thanks for your inputt.
    I have to agree with the above .
    In their day they were very good ! Innovative to the extreme, ( Did Bsa, or Webley ever make a recoiless rifle ? Or a multishot break barrel repeater )
    Whilst in the same vein, Did any of these 2 Or others make all these models inlcuding an SSP ( Used at the Olympics )

Whilst all have there foibles, I consider all 3 to be light years ahead of there time,
    Have you ever fired a " Statical " recoiless rifle ? ( They work ) Or a repeating Paratrooper , ( They work )Or indeed the " Supertarget " It works ( Sometimes ) Ha ha
    My Mods including a power upgrade on the Statical & The Supertarget transform them.,

At the time & For the money I consider them great buy,s & Excellent shooters ( I have a couple of all 3 ) In next to mint & 3 shooters .
    Ged.