Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: guns you got and was dissapointed with

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The original mod 50, always wanted one after hearing my older brother talk about the one he owned in the 60's. I got a 1980 model & although it was always accurate for a .22 springer it took me 4 years & a few piston seals & mainsprings to get it above 10ft/lbs . Finally got rid as the short cocking lever & bad leverage brought my tennis elbow back.(it ended up shooting best with a standard hw77 spring & the old leather seal with a ptfe seal behind it.) On the plus side I can rebuild original 3 ball bearing triggers blindfolded!
    On my 3rd Original 50
    all in .22

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Stalker S10
    SH but still expensive
    Complete pain in a.
    3 years owned and still being fixed!!
    To be fair it doesnt leak but everything else is hopeless.
    Latest problem is a rattle from inside and failing to cock now and again.
    ouch, a friend had an expensive Merc like that, I would have crushed it but Shes more stubborn than me and eventually got it working

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    I have to agree with the above .
    In their day they were very good ! Innovative to the extreme, ( Did Bsa, or Webley ever make a recoiless rifle ? Or a multishot break barrel repeater )
    Whilst in the same vein, Did any of these 2 Or others make all these models inlcuding an SSP ( Used at the Olympics )

Whilst all have there foibles, I consider all 3 to be light years ahead of there time,
    Have you ever fired a " Statical " recoiless rifle ? ( They work ) Or a repeating Paratrooper , ( They work )Or indeed the " Supertarget " It works ( Sometimes ) Ha ha
    My Mods including a power upgrade on the Statical & The Supertarget transform them.,

At the time & For the money I consider them great buy,s & Excellent shooters ( I have a couple of all 3 ) In next to mint & 3 shooters .
    Ged.

Hi Ged, thanks for the inputt, how did you improve the [power on the Statical please
    mine dose 9.5 with crossman domes

The Stalker works.
    But not often!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    My biggest disappointment ? … A 35E Vixen.

Around 1980 I bought a new HW35E Vixen - mail order.
    I bought it to use for hunting not collecting. I was disappointed from day one.
    I was 35 years younger then and when I complained about the lack of power and was told it would improve with age I believed it.
    Looking back I think you could just about see the pellet leave the barrel. Things didn’t get better with time.

I took it to Manchester Airguns who chrono’d it and laughed.
    I remember the gun having a chrome spring / piston sleeve ????
    Anyway, MAG didn’t have a replacement chrome spring so a standard spring was fitted.
    It changed the gun completely. A standard spring though. It should have a chrome spring being a “ Vixen “
    A year or two later I swapped it for a boxed 0.25 Service , which I still have.

My Vixen came with a sheep skin lined cover and a HW Test Target.
    I still have the cover and possibly the Test Target.
    I’ll have a rummage for the target as It may have the guns Ser No on it ???
    If so , It would be interesting to see if the gun still survives and if its owned by a BBS member.

Sam
    IIRC the Vixens were advertised guaranteed to exceed 600 fps in .22 and 800fps in .177 !!! It doesn't state the weight of the pellets used ;-). I have also read (Dennis Hiller books?) the if the main spring doesn't break within the first hundred shots it will last a lifetime. Did yours have a broken spring? Didn't they also come with a little bronze medallion?

Good thread.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Everything that I have ever owned by Gamo!
    LOL Me - Gamo 440 Hunter .

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    IIRC the Vixens were advertised guaranteed to exceed 600 fps in .22 and 800fps in .177 !!! It doesn't state the weight of the pellets used ;-). I have also read (Dennis Hiller books?) the if the main spring doesn't break within the first hundred shots it will last a lifetime. Did yours have a broken spring? Didn't they also come with a little bronze medallion?

Good thread.

ATB
    Ian
    Thanks for your inputt IJ Never changed the spring in my Vixen, still 11.5 with air arms domes

BSA 240 Magnum, what a disaster! Couldn't hit a pig in a well greased entry. Put new shims and breech seal in useless. Now gathering dust.

Yes they came with the medallion as well.Velocities advertised as 5.5mm will exceed 600 fps,4.5mm will exceed 750 fps with variation of only 2.5% from there old advert.Oh & the medallion was Copper.

Disappointments

Not so much a gun but a barrel. I bought a Harper .25 barrel for my HW80. It was the same cost as a factory barrel but I was impatient and would not wait for the factory product. Also the so called super spin rifling caught my interest. So I eagerly looked forward to having the ultimate ratting outfit. What a crock of s**t. Barrel was stupid tight. Dragged power down. Had betted target patterns with my 12. The most lethal thing that you could do to a rat with the thing was to club it with the dam thing.
    Still got the useless lump of steel somewhere.

The Webley tracker I finally got after craving one for many years. Nice looking rifles, which kind of made up for the utterly shocking performance.

I probably tried every pellet produced, and still couldn't get 2 shots near each other at 15yrds! Then there was the power issue that I couldn't overcome. 8ftlbs was the absolute maximum I could get out of it, even with all sorts of new fangled seals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Yes they came with the medallion as well.Velocities advertised as 5.5mm will exceed 600 fps,4.5mm will exceed 750 fps with variation of only 2.5% from there old advert.Oh & the medallion was Copper.
    I was close.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    BSA 240 Magnum, what a disaster! Couldn't hit a pig in a well greased entry. Put new shims and breech seal in useless. Now gathering dust.
    not just me then, I can hit anything with mine series 2 in .22 and I am a preatey good pistol shot
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 28-11-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p.sharp View Post
    The Webley tracker I finally got after craving one for many years. Nice looking rifles, which kind of made up for the utterly shocking performance.

I probably tried every pellet produced, and still couldn't get 2 shots near each other at 15yrds! Then there was the power issue that I couldn't overcome. 8ftlbs was the absolute maximum I could get out of it, even with all sorts of new fangled seals etc.
    I have the longer barell version the Viscount, it dose 10.5 with air arms domes thanks for your inputt

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Not so much a gun but a barrel. I bought a Harper .25 barrel for my HW80. It was the same cost as a factory barrel but I was impatient and would not wait for the factory product. Also the so called super spin rifling caught my interest. So I eagerly looked forward to having the ultimate ratting outfit. What a crock of s**t. Barrel was stupid tight. Dragged power down. Had betted target patterns with my 12. The most lethal thing that you could do to a rat with the thing was to club it with the dam thing.
    Still got the useless lump of steel somewhere.
    thanks for your inputt, you have allso saved me a few boob there has was offerd a hw80 with a .25 harper liner and I couldnt hot owt with it the other day so will save my cash.