Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: guns you got and was dissapointed with

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    IIRC the Vixens were advertised guaranteed to exceed 600 fps in .22 and 800fps in .177 !!! It doesn't state the weight of the pellets used ;-). I have also read (Dennis Hiller books?) the if the main spring doesn't break within the first hundred shots it will last a lifetime. Did yours have a broken spring? Didn't they also come with a little bronze medallion?

Good thread.

ATB
    Ian
    today they would be done for false advertising

The Webley Hawk Mk 2 I was bought nearly new by my older, now late, brother, when I was in my teens.. It was a dream come true, 177 & 22 barrels, just like the pre war Wobbly's I'd read about in LW's Airguns & Pistols of the World.
    I think it was less than a year old old. Possibly 1974? Stock broke at the pistol grip in a couple of weeks, replaced by Webley.
    Also had no end of trouble with the trigger assembly, safety (?) catch & the piston rings.
    More recently a BSA GoldStar, problems with the mags - it came with 2 original ones. Later mags were better. but still, I don't use it now.

Bru.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Another rifle I lusted for and got a few years back was the Marshall/ Crossman I got it from here from Draftsman, it was a fair price and it was in top condition, but after a few weeks I needed a new valve assembly. I Managed to get a new assembly sourced by if I remeber from Poland made from a thermo plastic and fitted by Will Gerke aka Welsh Willi. It works flawlsley. But Its not the super gun has writen of by Rod Lynton in AGW but then in conversation with Baz, Rod was involved in the company that was selling it ( a conflict of intrest there methinks)and the Whalley version which is the same gun designed by the talanted Mr Peter Marshall. The valve would lock up if used in quick succesion but me I like it, I get 2 shots for a charge, not used her for a while but lent to a mate and She lovded it, used in the garden to control the magpies. Her husband one of my oldest mates know has to buy her a rifle for xmass has She wants her own rifle
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 28-11-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    today they would be done for false advertising
    But would they? Not many people in the early 80s has access to a chrono. I had to travel to Manchester Air Guns (approx 25miles) to have my guns tested. You couldn't got to court saying "It will only shoot to 'Garden Centres' in the Yellow Pages and I want to hit 'Zoos'
    It also, of course, depends on the weight of the pellet used to test. 600 fps even with a light weight pellet is fair travelling. Better than anything BSA/Webley (Airsorter/Mercury/Hawk) were producing at that time. I dont think British airguns came up to those muzzle energies until the early Vulcan.

Ive just thought of another airgun dissapointment. The Crosman Model 1. What a load of 'politics'

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Nice thread idea Dave I totally agree with you about the FWB Sport (although I've never quite owned one myself, but I've used a few)... You do realise you'll have the FWB Sport Appreciation Society (FWB SAS) after you, if they see this thread! They come at night, mostly

My big disappointment was the Sharp Innova.

Click clack (this thing is horribly made of painted metal and plastic. Not even the barrel is blued).

Click clack (must remember not to hold the pistol grip while pumping, or the stock screw can strip the threads).

Click clack (ok, so I bridge my finger & thumb over the scope, to hold it by the plastic breech).

Click clack (ugh, this thing feels nasty)

Click clack (right that'll do. if I keep going its gonna break).

Load - Aim - Fire (where did that go? How long is it going to take to zero this thing? And the trigger is hard & horrible).

Mmm....know what you mean, Phil...

As regards these two, I part exchanged my 127 Sport for an Innova!!

Innova....could be very accurate...On three or four pumps, with the trigger pull being lighter, it'd easily shoot tiny little groups. The heavier pull with more pumps made the trigger control so much harder, though.

Don't get me wrong, it accounted for a fair few bunnies and squirrels. And a bloke I often shot with, and FAC holder, used his on 15 pumps (very hard work!! ) and that gave 21.5ft.lbs with the old Barracudas.

But it always felt cheap and brittle, though I suppose that had a sight upside in that it wouldn't upset you that much if you marked / bashed it / got it wet or covered in crap.

Mine ended up bending the pump lever, too!

Far too much effort for a 12ft.lbs gun, when one single sweep of the barrel does the job.

Although the FWB had got used less and less once I'd got my 77 and 80, I wished I hadn't traded it in for the Innova.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Not so much a gun but a barrel. I bought a Harper .25 barrel for my HW80. It was the same cost as a factory barrel but I was impatient and would not wait for the factory product. Also the so called super spin rifling caught my interest. So I eagerly looked forward to having the ultimate ratting outfit. What a crock of s**t. Barrel was stupid tight. Dragged power down. Had betted target patterns with my 12. The most lethal thing that you could do to a rat with the thing was to club it with the dam thing.
    Still got the useless lump of steel somewhere.
    I'll give you a tenner plus post for it!

Ive just thought of another airgun dissapointment. The Crosman Model 1. What a load of 'politics'

ATB
    Ian
    Er, yes!

I was given one for free in 1998 and, call me ungrateful, but even as a freebie was a disappointment.

Oh, and the first 766 I ever bought....brand new and the barrel fell off after a few shots...poxy little grub screw fixing!!

I thought Rod Linton had said these 'ere plastic and snot Crosmans were good!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Daisy 790 -- Nothing like a S&W 79G - it was a total piece of junk!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Everything that I have ever owned by Gamo!
    I'll second that Mark!
    Regards Graham

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Er, yes!

I was given one for free in 1998 and, call me ungrateful, but even as a freebie was a disappointment.

Oh, and the first 766 I ever bought....brand new and the barrel fell off after a few shots...poxy little grub screw fixing!!

I thought Rod Linton had said these 'ere plastic and snot Crosmans were good!!!!
    I wish I ccould get a rifle with the looks of the 766 and the build of an HW. Most dissapointing airgun I ever had was a Webley Senior that I still own. I was shooting 10m pistol with a borrowed Walther LP3 at the time and my old Grandad gave me his Senior thinking it would be better.-Bless him...

But would they? Not many people in the early 80s has access to a chrono. I had to travel to Manchester Air Guns (approx 25miles) to have my guns tested. You couldn't got to court saying "It will only shoot to 'Garden Centres' in the Yellow Pages and I want to hit 'Zoos'
    It also, of course, depends on the weight of the pellet used to test. 600 fps even with a light weight pellet is fair travelling. Better than anything BSA/Webley (Airsorter/Mercury/Hawk) were producing at that time. I dont think British airguns came up to those muzzle energies until the early Vulcan.

ATB
    Ian
    Maybe, has to the Vulcan agree, I have 3, an SFS custum series 2, aseries 2 delux and a series 3 ks carbine all in the adult calibre .22 I like the Crossman model 1, have the pump up rifle and the pistol model 1 co2. allso that was then , these days lots have chronos, they would never get away today has forums like this would soon expose any fraud.
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 28-11-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    The Webley Hawk Mk 2 I was bought nearly new by my older, now late, brother, when I was in my teens.. It was a dream come true, 177 & 22 barrels, just like the pre war Wobbly's I'd read about in LW's Airguns & Pistols of the World.
    I think it was less than a year old old. Possibly 1974? Stock broke at the pistol grip in a couple of weeks, replaced by Webley.
    Also had no end of trouble with the trigger assembly, safety (?) catch & the piston rings.
    More recently a BSA GoldStar, problems with the mags - it came with 2 original ones. Later mags were better. but still, I don't use it now.

Bru.
    again agree I have a series 2 with both barells, I like it but its no powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Er, yes!

no that was John Darling, I have tha article if you want a copy any time, love mine phase2

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    I wish I ccould get a rifle with the looks of the 766 and the build of an HW. Most dissapointing airgun I ever had was a Webley Senior that I still own. I was shooting 10m pistol with a borrowed Walther LP3 at the time and my old Grandad gave me his Senior thinking it would be better.-Bless him...
    yes its modled an a Remington .22 auto loader. thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    The Relum was the first legitimate gun I bought (after I bought a BSA meteor behind my parents back). I went through the honeymoon period as per but soon worked out what it was and what it's limitations were. I had some fun with it and it was ok for bluebottles at eight yards but soon had an HW itch that had to be scratched.
    Thanks for the inputt, have to say like my relums and love my Weirauchs.