Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: guns you got and was dissapointed with

FWB 124 Never really got on with mine. If that was the ultimate spring rifle thank god the s400 came along

Quote Originally Posted by coldweld View Post
    FWB 124 Never really got on with mine. If that was the ultimate spring rifle thank god the s400 came along
    up to a point, the 400 is ok but i wouldnt buy one myself Its like at the club I use, most of them( followers of fashion) has EV2,s I didnt and didnt want one either

It says volumes about the FWB Sport that despite its various flaws and cash saving daftness, it has such a strong following even today, 40 odd years after it appeared. I loved my Mk1 127, plastic trigger 'n' all.

I know other owners have had a very different experience but my biggest disappointment was with the Gamo Centre pistol. I had high hopes for it because it was beautifully blued and had a decent weight in the hand. I could list all its faults, but the main one was that the adjustable angle of the plastic grip wouldn't hold in one place. Plus the plastic swing out tap was leaky, the recoil harsh...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    BSA 240 Magnum, what a disaster! Couldn't hit a pig in a well greased entry. Put new shims and breech seal in useless. Now gathering dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    not just me then, I can hit anything with mine series 2 in .22 and I am a preatey good pistol shot
    Same here. It was a gun I really wanted to like, but it was always a disappointment.

Regarding the FWB Sport, I can see exactly why people might be disappointed, especially considering the prices they command on the second hand market when compared to "non collectable" HWs, for example. Maybe it's because I only bought one recently, and was to some extent expecting the worst, but I like mine (despite the cracked stock, twang, and superficial safety catch!).

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    Same here. It was a gun I really wanted to like, but it was always a disappointment.

Regarding the FWB Sport, I can see exactly why people might be disappointed, especially considering the prices they command on the second hand market when compared to "non collectable" HWs, for example. Maybe it's because I only bought one recently, and was to some extent expecting the worst, but I like mine (despite the cracked stock, twang, and superficial safety catch!).
    yes dispite the Sports many problems it is still a classic, mid weight fair power and accuracey. I think it showed the way for quality springers in the late 70,s early 80,s period.

Two rifles spring to mind that I bought new,a BSA Stutzen airspoter which had a leaking tap and a BSA Mercury 's' in .177 wildly inaccurate with a wobbly barrel.I had earlier models of both and they were spot on so I was well disappointed with these two.
    In saying yes to this air rifle you are confirming that you are not a messer and are allowed to go out in public without your carer

John Darlington 766 was because he hadn't much cash after getting out of the Army and needed something to shoot that was cheap. (Interesting Army career in Ireland). Anyhow, as soon as he had some spare dosh and his articles started paying, then sponsorship, he never had to look back. He didn't switch rifles often and got to know each very well. A good shot and could pull off the long shots because he was familiar with his rifle combination and practiced often. He wasn't a collector and just kept those he used. He was quite happy with the small income his airgun journalism gave him and enjoyed country and shooting lifestyle on the South Downs. A bit of a splifhead and laid back guy; and he wasn't that impressed with the establishment and authorities. Just loved his shooting and hunting. How do I know? He was at a stag party of a friend and we had 48hrs completely out of our trollies... good party.

FWB Sports: light weight, twitchy, not very forgiving, but to me a joy to shoot. However, there are much easier rifles to shoot.

Most disappointed then the Crosman 1077 repeater, because its trigger was so awful, is on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    John Darlington 766 was because he hadn't much cash after getting out of the Army and needed something to shoot that was cheap. (Interesting Army career in Ireland). Anyhow, as soon as he had some spare dosh and his articles started paying, then sponsorship, he never had to look back. He didn't switch rifles often and got to know each very well. A good shot and could pull off the long shots because he was familiar with his rifle combination and practiced often. He wasn't a collector and just kept those he used. He was quite happy with the small income his airgun journalism gave him and enjoyed country and shooting lifestyle on the South Downs. A bit of a splifhead and laid back guy; and he wasn't that impressed with the establishment and authorities. Just loved his shooting and hunting. How do I know? He was at a stag party of a friend and we had 48hrs completely out of our trollies... good party.

FWB Sports: light weight, twitchy, not very forgiving, but to me a joy to shoot. However, there are much easier rifles to shoot.

Most disappointed then the Crosman 1077 repeater, because its trigger was so awful, is on my short list.
    Yes liked John articles, and still find His book on hunting intresting and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    Yes pm me your address if you fancy a copy of the article and will send it up to you, I was looking for a walnut stocked 766 a few years back but its the same gun has my plastic one so 9ts just eye candy.
    Cheers for the kind offer and sorry for tardy response.

Not needed, though, thank you, as I'll have that in my huge stash somewhere!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I remember reading many of his excellent articles.

And, reading the above, he sounded to be a proper, cool dude. Respect!!

Such a huge shame that he's no longer with us.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It says volumes about the FWB Sport that despite its various flaws and cash saving daftness, it has such a strong following even today, 40 odd years after it appeared. I loved my Mk1 127, plastic trigger 'n' all.
    Absolutely!

See also the thread in General Airgun, and especially the link to a Richard Welham write-up.

I had a Mark II. Loved it and it was my #1 rifle for quite a few years. Elegant, light, powerful, accurate, good trigger (not in Rekord league, though). Beautifully engineered and, I think, the first to use the parachute seal design...so pretty much groundbreaking. And, yes, the high quality barrel.

I used it loads less once I got my 80 and 77, though, which were loads easier to extract the accuracy from, due to the Rekord trigger and heavier weight (especially so the 77).

There are three guns that I regret selling - two HW35s (I have four again now, so no worries) and the Feinwerkbau.

I have to admit I was pretty skeptical when I was after a sport, especially after reading many horror stories about poor triggers etc. Fortunately, it was as good / easier to shoot than my ancient '80 that I'd had for nearly 20 years. In the end I sold the 80 to fund an lgu, and ended up buying another sport

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for the kind offer and sorry for tardy response.

Not needed, though, thank you, as I'll have that in my huge stash somewhere!!
    wellcome

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

...... but my biggest disappointment was with the Gamo Centre pistol. I had high hopes for it because it was beautifully blued and had a decent weight in the hand. I could list all its faults, but the main one was that the adjustable angle of the plastic grip wouldn't hold in one place. Plus the plastic swing out tap was leaky, the recoil harsh...
    The Centre is probably the best air pistol ever made by GAMO and has proven to be one of the best "kickers" used in the 10 meter MPL series where they have delivered good strong performances with regular top placings - but the plastic loading hatch is not the best and pellets often drop straight through it unless the pistol is held horizontally during the loading process - but I have not seen or had any problems with the grip moving.

The W O R S T air pistol that I have ever owned by far is the new Webley break barrel Typhoon.

I have a new .22 example boxed and in mint condition - and it is likely to stay that way

Its brief excursion out of the box initially impressed as when the cocking aid was fitted it reminded me a little of the BSA Scorpion ( well in size anyway) and the "recoilless" type of action looked like a benefit - but the rubbish rear sight and and the hopeless accuracy left a very poor impression.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Guns (approx 25miles) Better than anything BSA/Webley (Airsorter/Mercury/Hawk) were producing at that time. I dont think British airguns came up to those muzzle energies until the early Vulcan.
    ATB
    Ian
    Now listen here young fellow my boy, I think the highlighted above should be amended to "re-attained". BSA claimed 600fps for both their .177 and .22 guns way back in 1909. In the 43" .177 this was not that impressive, but the 45" pre 1919 .22 guns regularly make high 500's, and good original ones can be hot.

I have tested 3 at over 595 with Wasps, and one at 615 (the latter 100% original with BSA stamped spring set).

In .177, the 45" CS guns can go high 700's as can the Military Pattern, In Wesley's book near the back there is a table of muzzle velocity of various types, and a prewar (can't find my copy at the mo') BSA of .177 was tested at (I think) 785fps ...might be wrong if someone want's to check.

So ner....I agree it all went downhill power wise after that, with .22's seemingly restricted to 550 fps for ages and by the time the German big hitters were arriving it was probably too much effort to compete in a power struggle

Back on thread, My first Tornado was my first let down, was really happy with all the twanging and smoke because as a kid as I thought it equated power...Then I shot an old Airsporter!

Next up was a Blue Streak, seduced again by tales of dustbin killing at 100 yards...It did go well, but I just simply hate pump up rifles, It feels like you are being cheated out of 5 shots every time you pull the trigger!

Apart from those two, I have enjoyed most stuff I have had, and accepted them for what they are.

ATB, Ed