Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: guns you got and was dissapointed with

disappointing guns

Some are going to hate me for this...

A new HW35
    , bought about a year ago. Took 2000 pellets to run in, rattled out screws until they were Loctited, even the 'legendary' trigger has had issues, not as good as the one fitted to my early 77 30 odd years ago. Now it has settled down, it is the most accurate gun I own, but I still don't like the trigger.
    [B]
    A BSA Mk 2 AirSporter Bought a lovely Mk 4 earlier in the year, was offered a Mk2 recently. Bought it. Not nearly as nice to shoot as the later gun, think it may have suffered the attention of an amateur tuner

Webley Hawk Mk 2.Bought this nearly new back then. Stock broke, everything else wore out,
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Thumbs up air arms s400

Graunchy trigger has let my reintroduction into pcp ownership ....still very accurate though but the triggers not a patch on my hw97 one
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Some are going to hate me for this...

A new HW35
    , bought about a year ago. Took 2000 pellets to run in, rattled out screws until they were Loctited, even the 'legendary' trigger has had issues, not as good as the one fitted to my early 77 30 odd years ago. Now it has settled down, it is the most accurate gun I own, but I still don't like the trigger.
    [B]
    Either strip it and refurb it (there was an article last year in Airgunner on this subject and a few post done on here) or buy a good s/h unit and swap it. (2 pins)

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Guns I was disappointed with?
    A Diana model 2 that using pellets, I could not hit a small boiler casing at 5 yards, shooting 2 handed. Oddly using darts i could hit a beer can at that distance.
    The Mighty Milbro Cougar. I had fairly low expectation of this but was hoping to get something out of having a bit of a fettle of it. The grips are made of the most brittle substance in the universe. The frame is Mazac. The screws only have about 3 threads on them and the trigger is Sh-te, with a pull longer that a very long thing that has been stretched by 2 body builders on steroids.
    Despite my efforts and some help from a friendly BBS welder, widening the bearing surfaces, the trigger remained crap. Making up a trigger piece, I managed to reduce the travel but it is still not a great trigger. Another nice chap on here made me a set of wooden grips so at least I dont have to worry about plastic breaking when I look at it. The silly L shaped but of plastic that the rearsight sits on SIGH!
    It should have been a Scottish Scorpion but instead, because of the weight and build quality, it makes a fairly decent club. I can actually shoot not too bad with it but nowhere near the enjoyment of a Scorpion or a Tempest.
    RO 71----I was expecting crap but the Mazac, sealed cylinder and a Mazac trigger pivot pin meant that this was stripped lubed and earmarked to pass on within half an hour.
    RO 72----not actually that bad to shoot apart from crap trigger, but brittle plastic and parts prone to wear and break.
    The new Webley Typhoon. Crap rearsight---mine was shooting high and the shop I got it from (just pre VCR) were not interested so I contacted Webley to exchange it. Plastic trigger cage!
    Mk5 Meteors----I have a few of these but the built up cocking arm and bit of material in the stock for it to rub on, were trying to solve a problem that (to my mind) does not really exist.
    Tell 2 pistol. Again very low in power and inaccurate. BUT interesting to strip.
    Webley Stinger---Interesting to look at but nowhere near as much fun as I thought it would be. I sent mine to Lawrie so it would have a good home
    BSF 20 pistol-----crude-crude---not as powerful as they are famed to be, trigger pull that goes on forever, shoot high (why do a lot of pistols do that---not having a high enough foresight), awkward to strip with them being crude and did I mention that they are crude?
    Asi Paratroopers-----Ok I suppose but the sear wear and the slight variations can mean spares/ changing parts can be a bit tricky.
    Hw 25----I am always surprised when this is put down as a Golden starter gun. Apart from the decent sights, it is not really better in quality than a Diana 23 or Milbro 76. If you are thinking of buying a new one for a child, get them a 2nd hand Diana/Milbro or get a slightly bigger/better gun.
    Bsa Merlin----these are a fragile gun but I do like to plink with them. The sights are not adjustable but that is not my real problem with these---it was the expectation. When I read about them in a very old AGW, I was expecting them to be like a small Airsporter, sort of an underlever cadet (I wish Bsa had made that).
    I am sure there are more.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Bsf 20, love mine, meteor 5 ditto, but thanks for the inpuut, atb.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Either strip it and refurb it (there was an article last year in Airgunner on this subject and a few post done on here) or buy a good s/h unit and swap it. (2 pins)

HTH
    Ian
    Thanks for that. I've also had a look on the Weihrauch owners site, there's a fair bit about it on there. Apart from the trigger issues, it's a lovely gun, & the most accurate break barrel I've owned. In fact, it's more consistent than my older British underlevers. Just wish I'd never sold my 77 years back...

Thanks again

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Thanks for that. I've also had a look on the Weihrauch owners site, there's a fair bit about it on there. Apart from the trigger issues, it's a lovely gun, & the most accurate break barrel I've owned. In fact, it's more consistent than my older British underlevers. Just wish I'd never sold my 77 years back...

Thanks again

Bru
    Agreed.

If you do decide to strip and sort your Rekord trigger unit. One tip: The top sear spring should go in first, then the hollow dowel before the top sear. Trying to do them all at the same time is enough to make a nun spit.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

When I returned to the sport after a near 22 year break in 2005 I was amazed how things had moved on. I never used a scope has I couldnt really afford one and I hunted at close range and had plenty of success re hunting and pest control. Ok I havent hunted in years apart from some pest control on rats for a friend and there very expensive new house . I was told I needed a pcp and got myself a CZ version of the 200, it was amazingly accurate and yet after about a month I went back to my springers I couldnt see the atraction and felt and still do that pcp,s can flatter a bad shoot in to thinking there a better shot than they are in reality, a springer keeps you honest has to your abilities I sold the CZ and it was 2007/2008 afore I got another PCP, a Logun Solo in .177, then Bsa Firebird in .20 thats been blueprinted by Mr Bowket, a Sumatra Carbine in .177, a Brocock Atomic in .22, an Enigma Carbine in .22, and my BSA Ultra in .22 thats out on long tearm lone to my mates missis for shooting in there garden. All different and none of them fashionable but then I dont want to follow fashion.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Original 50T01. It was shite.

The Gamo Centre pistol is a nasty, twangy thing. Like Garvin said.

Anything pump-up is a bore, most of them have the added problem of cheap build quality (apart from some of the expensive Sharps and the Daystate).

Walther Umarex CO2 pistols, awful potmetal plinkers.

BSA Merlin, like Guy said. Flimsy construction and awful design with the cocking piece running in the woodwork.

Chinese DB4. I didn't realise what people complained about on Chinese guns before I got this. Nasty construction and felt dangerous.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-12-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Theoben mfr. They had only just come out and I travelled a fair distance to a well criticised gunshop to get one. Couldn't get a 3" group at 30yds with it. And that was off a bench. It was tried out by a good many shooters much better than me and they fared no better. It was taken back to the shop who insisted that it must be me as these guns were the large dogs testicles. After trying it themselves they condescended to send it back. When it came back it was no better.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    Theoben mfr. They had only just come out and I travelled a fair distance to a well criticised gunshop to get one. Couldn't get a 3" group at 30yds with it. And that was off a bench. It was tried out by a good many shooters much better than me and they fared no better. It was taken back to the shop who insisted that it must be me as these guns were the large dogs testicles. After trying it themselves they condescended to send it back. When it came back it was no better.
    I looked at one in one of my regular gun shop visits. It was in superb condition but the price was to much for meŁ675 and thats 2nd possibly 3rd hand so it remainded on the gun shop shelf. My very good mate Will Gerke has a few of them and rates them highley.

Parker Hale Dragon FT. Velocity was consistent, but couldn't hit a barn if I was inside the barn with the door shut....

Quote Originally Posted by airgunwerks View Post
    Parker Hale Dragon FT. Velocity was consistent, but couldn't hit a barn if I was inside the barn with the door shut....
    yes have one, like it for its querkiness.

new HW35: too twangy
    new hatsan 25 supercharger: impossible to cock (heavy)
    walther LGR new: too heavyweight
    diana 280: too long (lop)
    walther LP300xt: didnt like balance
    Tau mk8 see walther
    Diana 350: terrible to shoot
    AA PT: not accurate enough
    Venom Viper: 2 shot hassle
    ATB,
    yana

Initially disappointed with a HW57 that I had bought new as it came with what I presume was a factory hacked up German spring (sub 6 ftibs). Having said that this forced me to open her up, replace (cut down and flatten) a new spring and lubricate the gun properly which was great fun.

A Gamo Compact I bought felt great in the hand but I just really couldn't get on with the trigger. Rather than mod it I sold it on and bought a FWB65.