Thread: Which Air Rifle should I buy?

Zildjian Guest

Which Air Rifle should I buy?

Hi all, I am going to buy my first Air Rifle ever, and I need some advice. My budget is around £600 (That is including a scope and accessories, so more like £250-400 on the rifle) I need some suggestions as to which rifle will be the best for my budget, it will be used for target shooting and hunting, I was going to extend my budget and go for a Logun S16S, but I heard too much negative comments, I do however like the look of the GunPower Storm, but I havent heard enough comments to make my decision.

What gun would you recommend for my budget, and why?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Advice.

Before parting with any cash, get along to a local club and try lots of different rifles.

If you put a location in your profile, we can even help you find a club nearby...

Paul.

Arrow

First thing to do is to fill in your profile a bit. Do you play the drums by the way? Your user name isthe same as a well known maker of cymbals-but I'm sure you know that.

Zildjian Guest
    Thanks for the replies, changed my profile
    I will be using it to hunt and target shooting in the back garden, but I would like a rifle that will last me for a long time, in the winter I will probably be hunting alot more, so something that is a good all-rounder would be ideal.

P.S) RapidNick, yes I am a drummer

Gary C Guest
    Assuming PCP.

Air Arms 410 2nd hand off here.

Rapid and MK3 are excellent but out of your price range
    BSAS10 nice but can be unreliable
    Logun Solo - ok but...

Air Arms by a street, especially as they are not too far from you
    Falcon Raptor second
    Possibly Daystate X2 BUT I don't like the fact you are forced into high mounts on a low cheekpiece so 3rd for me

in fact I'd buy this one

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?t=72570
    Last edited by Gary C; 29-06-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Zildjian Guest
    Thanks for that, I was leaning towards the 410, because I have heard so many good things about them on this forum, I will try and find one locally so I have a chance to shoot it. Any recommenations on a good scope? I was looking at the Hawke Varmint II scopes.

chris ballard Guest
    Get yourself this years model s410k if you can stretch to it.

Still got a stiffie and had it for a few months now (stiffie and new rifle) . Do try out as many as you can though, what suits me may not suit you.

All the best

And make sure its .177" if your interested in both target and hunting.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Zildjian Guest
    Thanks for the advice, I was going to get a .22, but if .177 is better for all-round then I will get .177.

I will try to stretch for the 2005 model, but I need to buy scope and anything else I will need.

That reminds me, my brother is an Engineer and at his work they have an air compressor that goes up to 250 bar, will this be ok? Or would it be easier to get a stirrup pump or a tank/bottle, not sure how many shots the S410 can take when full...

ETH is offline Something to do with airsoft or poker
    The S410 is a fantasic gun. I used to have a s400 which was great aswell.

The fill charge is 190bar and you can ofload 6 x 10 shots mags in the carbine with no trouble at all. A tank is really the best bet, with a good gauge.

As others have said, find a club. Most members will let you try out their guns.

AndyBlissett Guest
    depends on which model. their is a classic version thaat does about 80/90 and a carbine(shorter barrel) that does about 60 (ish)