Thread: Light Surface Rust

Light Surface Rust

I have acquired several collectable air pistols over the years which although retaining much of their original finish, had a rather dull overall appearance.

I'm not a big fan of major restoration, but don't mind improving things a bit without giving the impression of over cleaning.

Probably the most effective tool Iv'e found is a stiff, nylon bristle, (smokers) toothbrush rather than fine wire wool, which is used to remove any light surface rust or any dirt buried in the chequering of the grips. A bit of brisk brushing is followed by wiping the surfaces with a clean lint cloth which is invariably stained a light orange colour as the surface rust and dirt is removed. It's surprising how much brighter the finish immediately appears when this has been completed, usually leaving just small areas of minor pitting rather than an overall dull finish.

I then apply cold blue to any screw heads or small areas where there is no finish remaining followed by a light coat of gun oil.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 01-12-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Other useful 'tools' for rust/dirt removal are kitchen sponges with a coarse side for scrubbing pans, and nylon mesh scouring pads. Both can be used with mineral oil as a gentler substitute for fine wire wool.

The scouring pads can be cut into two or four pieces and used with a little cold bluing solution (rather than oil) to partially refinish small areas as light rusting is carefully scrubbed off. Any grease or oil obviously needs to be thoroughly removed first.
    Last edited by scrapman; 01-12-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Some useful tips here. I recently used a firm toothbrush to clean the chequering on some plastic grips. It is sometimes surprising to see how just an oily cloth rejuvinates a new (old) purchase that has a film of old oil or grease on the surface.

Thanks for those tips - for those of us who may have been shooting for many years, but only recently started buying older guns, it's very useful. A nearby thread mentions white lettering on Webleys. Can remember going both the model paint & Tippex route years ago.

Bru.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
    Other useful 'tools' for rust/dirt removal are kitchen sponges with a coarse side for scrubbing pans, and nylon mesh scouring pads. Both can be used with mineral oil as a gentler substitute for fine wire wool.

The scouring pads can be cut into two or four pieces and used with a little cold bluing solution (rather than oil) to partially refinish small areas as light rusting is carefully scrubbed off. Any grease or oil obviously needs to be thoroughly removed first.
    watch out for the green meanies - I stripped a tx200 for bluing in about 5 minutes with the jaggy side of a sponge - I stick to the 0000 wire wool now! It didnt even do a good job of stripping, it was all swirley - Id definitely stay away from these on blued metal.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    watch out for the green meanies - I stripped a tx200 for bluing in about 5 minutes with the jaggy side of a sponge - I stick to the 0000 wire wool now! It didnt even do a good job of stripping, it was all swirley - Id definitely stay away from these on blued metal.
    The ones I am using feel quite soft and don't have any gritty coating (from a pound store). The packaging says 'non-scratch'.

I think some brands may have pumice or something embedded in them. I should have added a warning about that - best to test on a bit of scrap first and look for any signs of scratching or heavy abrasion.
    Last edited by scrapman; 03-12-2014 at 03:31 PM.

aria

Quote Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
    The ones I am using feel quite soft and don't have any gritty coating (from a pound store). The packaging says 'non-scratch'.

I think some brands may have pumice or something embedded in them. I should have added a warning about that - best to test on a bit of scrap first and look for any signs of scratching or heavy abrasion.
    Thanks for the tip,i normally use 0000 wire wool.