Thread: BSA Mercury s .177 for sale.

BSA Mercury s .177 for sale.

I have put my bsa .177 cal mercury s in the for sale section.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....81#post6540381

JJJJJJ

Last edited by T 20; 02-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.

It's a nice stock,good golour and figuring. - Shame it's not an airsporter ...
    Musketeer, Tin-Horseman and Axeman extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    It's a nice stock,good golour and figuring. - Shame it's not an airsporter ...
    Thank God its not an Airsporter , Mercs are better
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Thank God its not an Airsporter , Mercs are better
    Hi, In what way specifically are Mercury's better than the Airsporter. I'm interested because I still own a Mercury S .177 that's like new. I bought this with my birthday money a few years ago. Jazzeh

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzeh View Post
    Hi, In what way specifically are Mercury's better than the Airsporter. I'm interested because I still own a Mercury S .177 that's like new. I bought this with my birthday money a few years ago. Jazzeh
    Hi, Many folk consider them better (Mk3's /'S" / any later type with jaw bolt) against an Airsporter of a similar vintage mainly because the taps on these later Airsporters can vary in quality and performance, also the Merc is a better balanced more point-able gun to many, and also they normally shoot a little harder.

So against say an Airsporter S, you have a similar gun with similar sights etc. that normally shoots a bit better and will not have potential problems.

Many MK 3-7 Airsporters shoot fine and are trouble free, but also many can be nightmares with the tap design, so buying one can often be a lottery unfortunately as they get older with time.

That's just what I have personally found over the years, I would always buy a later Merc over an Airsporter myself....If you have a tidy S then hang onto it as most folk regret selling them!

P.S. The chambers green plastic top hat / guide and spring tune kit works very well in Mercs if yours is tired.

ATB, Ed

(probably will get flak for this)

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

as with mike and edd i fo find the merc a better gun ;but for looks/character my mk2 sporter wins hands down ,from my youth the airsporter was the legend we all hankered after and has a place on the wall alongside my 124s and thats a special place
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I agree too, the Merc is a better gun,but wouldn't it have been nice if BSA had first released the Mercury in 1948 also alongside the Airsporter MK1!

Edbear2 is spot on the last 3 two Mk6's a very nice Mk7 I have anything to do with have been a right royal pain in the bum . Not had anything to do with early ones but I believe they are much better got a few Mercury's a Mk2 , S .177 , and a Challenger there all very nice Atb Mike
    A few nice rifles

having always wanted a Airsporter and getting a mk6 what a nightmare the mercury being a break barrel a better design with less inherient design problems like leaking loading port which touch wood mine did not have,but the final thing that made me descided to sell my airsporter was still unable to get above top eights ft/Lbs were the mercury looks just as good and shots like a more modern rifle ok for nostalgic collections
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance