Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for an alternative to needle roller bearings (springers)

I'll stick one in my lgv and see what happens. I suspect you are correct though.

i would think even rotating piston guns would still benefit..afterall, a piston is a big heavy object thats flying forward pretty fast !... lets say [for example] that a spring when compressed is 180 degrees out of orientation compared to free-length [might be more, might be less] ....... point is a big heavy piston isnt going to spin 180 degrees during the short firing cycle to "correct" itself , i have no proof of this, just using common sense.... so i think its likely that a baering fitted at one or both ends IS going to help
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

The rotation is quite small, an example would be from 12 to 2 o clock, rather than half a turn per shot, so if you have a bearing in a rifle that already has a rotating piston then the effects are negligible, or so I have found comparing a TX to my HW77!

Quote Originally Posted by vobster View Post
    I'll stick one in my lgv and see what happens. I suspect you are correct though.
    The Walther LGV and LGU have a rotating spring guide as well as a rotating piston. I wouldn't expect any additional benefit.
    Walther LGV Competition Ultra .177 Walther LGU .177
    HW97KT Synthetic Venom Lazaglide + SFS tweaks .177 HW77KT SFS Stage 2 .177
    TX200 MK3 V-Mach + Tinbum Shortstroke .177 HW97K V-Glide .177

Quote Originally Posted by ART1969 View Post
    The Walther LGV and LGU have a rotating spring guide as well as a rotating piston. I wouldn't expect any additional benefit.
    As I've just discovered

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Hhaha. I caved in too lol. Always assumed it was a bit of a gimmick or if it would survive for long. But winter is here, need a few projects.
    Mine have lasted over quite a few tins with zero degradation. I think at the rear guide end, where there are no impact type forces, they should last forever. Piston end will be a harsher environment, but so long is preload is high (i.e. no slack), no reason they shouldn't last.

I find it makes cocking smoother on a TX, where the piston can;t really rotate when being rammed against the end of the comp tube. Firing - on a TX - no real difference. However, firing on a '77 (std(ish)) the reduction in twist is noticeable.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Once you have the spring and piston isolated with bearings, you need to look at isolating the barrel. The inertia of the pellet causes the barrel to twist in the opposite direction to the 'handedness' of the rifling, the only solution is to allow the barrel to rotate relative to the cylinder. I think it was Diana that used to sell one of its match rifles with a barrel set at both ends with bearings inside an outer shroud, the barrel would rotate slightly on firing to compensate for the pellet's twisting force.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Once you have the spring and piston isolated with bearings, you need to look at isolating the barrel. The inertia of the pellet causes the barrel to twist in the opposite direction to the 'handedness' of the rifling, the only solution is to allow the barrel to rotate relative to the cylinder. I think it was Diana that used to sell one of its match rifles with a barrel set at both ends with bearings inside an outer shroud, the barrel would rotate slightly on firing to compensate for the pellet's twisting force.
    M8 thats going a little too far..LOL,

I think a bearing on the rear spring guide, really is as far as we need to go...

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    M8 thats going a little too far..LOL,

I think a bearing on the rear spring guide, really is as far as we need to go...
    I thinka he taka de pees!

Have you been taking that falling down medecine again

I have only one needle roller bearing that will fit the piston of a hw97, they seem to be as rare as a very rare thing as no one seems to sell them in the correct size.

Alternatives? Needle rollers really kill the twist on firing, standard greased washers arent even close.

Has anyone found something else that works? PTFE washers etc?

Thanks!
    If you had a time machine you could go back to about 1980 and buy a set of "Power Boosters" for £2 inc post and packing from Bowket. Thats wot they were

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    4 months early.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    If you had a time machine you could go back to about 1980 and buy a set of "Power Boosters" for £2 inc post and packing from Bowket. Thats wot they were
    Boring!

Boring!

Both of my children used to get bored easily but they grew out of it when they matured a little.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Both of my children used to get bored easily but they grew out of it when they matured a little.
    pm sent