Thread: Scope magnification for LSR

Scope magnification for LSR

I've shot LSR for a few years now and settled on 10x mag.

Last weekend I was at a shoulder to shoulder comp and was amazed to see two competitors shooting on much higher mag. One had a Bushnell 4200 and he was on 24x mag, and I was staggered to see the other guy with a BSA big 60 on top of his rifle - he was shooting on 50x mag. The big BSA is a heavy old brute, too.

What do LSR fans on here use as their preferred mag?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Interesting, my daughter is partially sighted and is doing surprisingly well using a nikko sterling 4 -12 zoom with a 50mm objective lens, she also has a tube extender to put her eye up against to block out unwanted light. She needs a lot of light and an easy to find sight beam. bigger magnifications have a narrower sight beam and have less light in the picture. Guess it is a balance. She uses this on a BSA Ultra at .22 for postal competitions. She uses it on full magnification.

Well, high magnification for standing is certainly unusual but if it works for the shooter then why not. I would be very interested to hear about the process by which they had arrived at those figures. Unless you have an exceptionally good hold I really cannot see any advantage in anything much more than 16X at 20yds/25m.

With such high magnification one does wonder how they manage with the 500g minimum trigger weight? One also wonders how close they are to the 4.5kg weight limit (including glove) they are.

Incidentally, I know a top level 10m air rifle shooter who shoots LSR for a bit of light relief. Their SCATT traces have to be closely examined to detect signs of life! They use 12x.

Rutty

BSA Ultra in 22 cal is a popular choice in our club, amongst LSR shooters.

The chap with the big BSA had the far side of the stock hollowed out so the cheekpiece was really only a few millimetres thick. He also had titanium bits and pieces, titanium being just over half the density of steel.

I use a 4-12x scope, but rarely have it set to max. 8x is usually enough, unless its a really dim day.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

yup, high magnification was tried on a club rifle but found by my daughter as a hindrance for exactly the reason you stated rutty, shake wobble and drawing her attention away from actually letting the shot off. Shame she can only see the target with the aid of a scope as I'm sure she would enjoy 10m but without help (scope) she cannot see a pistol target at 10m. LSR has been a great excitement for her as all sports have been a non starter as you use your sight dynamically and has spent all sports sessions at school doing something else and really missed out. She refuses to do blind sports so the scope shooting has been a revelation.
    As to the scatt with the LSR and training with it, I think if you practiced too much at our club they would chuck you out for cheating!!!

I think the whole LSR thing is a great target sport and its good that the rimfire boys are happy to shoot alongside the airrifle shooters and it is all mixed up under the one discipline.

In terms of weight the PCP shooters are disadvantaged with the air cylinder and it can be a struggle to get to 4.5kg.

The Gloucester association have head to head matches a couple of times a year on the outdoor range and if you shoot airrifle you can be slightly disadvantaged if its a bit gusty!

In answer to your question, I have recently moved from 7x to 12x but have ordered a scope from the states that is fixed objective (hopefully I can reparallax it easily) and very lightweight, this has a max of 10x and what I plan to settle with.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've shot LSR for a few years now and settled on 10x mag.

Last weekend I was at a shoulder to shoulder comp and was amazed to see two competitors shooting on much higher mag. One had a Bushnell 4200 and he was on 24x mag, and I was staggered to see the other guy with a BSA big 60 on top of his rifle - he was shooting on 50x mag. The big BSA is a heavy old brute, too.

What do LSR fans on here use as their preferred mag?
    I am shooting a 20 meter air rifle comp. this winter, I was going to shoot it with my HW 100 Kt with a 4x12-50 scope but I cannot hold steady at 4 mag.
    The old HW 55 with aperture sights will have to be used, at least I can group with that.
    I blame old age

24x for me. And I'd use higher if the scope weight/focus was ok.

I'm currently using LWSR standing and kneeling with 24x, but have previously used 8 to 10x depending on the day. In the field I use 10x but generally shoot kneeling, standing only if absolutely necessary. Good optics helps a lot, but I've seen some more than adequate budget priced scopes which give good images on low mag.

Vic Thompson.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    10x for me, more just makes the wobble accentuated and as someone else mentioned makes getting the shot off a bit more of a problem.
    At this mag I can just about see the hole I've just made even on grey days.

24 mag for me in LWSR and 20 mtr air rifle , everyones eyes are different and I just prefer the higher mag . When shooting postal Phoenix as I close with the target I will go down to 12x or 10x
    mike

I use a 2-7x33 leup on 7x mag. I'd like a bit higher but can't get a scope lighter than the leup at 281g!
    I even have to take the flip up scope covers off to keep the rifle below 4.5kg!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I think the whole LSR thing is a great target sport and its good that the rimfire boys are happy to shoot alongside the airrifle shooters and it is all mixed up under the one discipline.

In terms of weight the PCP shooters are disadvantaged with the air cylinder and it can be a struggle to get to 4.5kg.

The Gloucester association have head to head matches a couple of times a year on the outdoor range and if you shoot airrifle you can be slightly disadvantaged if its a bit gusty!

In answer to your question, I have recently moved from 7x to 12x but have ordered a scope from the states that is fixed objective (hopefully I can reparallax it easily) and very lightweight, this has a max of 10x and what I plan to settle with.

Tony

Its easy to get an air rifle in the weight Tony, its just you choose to should a rifle that was designed to shoot a .303 round at 100 ftlb!
    Albeit you have the girls .177 version